Author Topic: Another Interesting DS Reference / Winchester Mystery House and DS This week  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

The Winchester Mystery House is a tourist attraction devoted to the unexpectedly macabre themes of spirituality, madness, and sprawl. Haunted by her deceased child and husband and the countless who had been shot dead by her family's wares, Winchester was instructed by a psychic advisor to head west from Boston and build a monument to contain those restless, tortured souls. The 160-room estate, built almost like an architectural crazy quilt, is a gingerbread labyrinth with stairs that lead nowhere and spooky spiderweb patterns in the stained glass.

Winchester and her iconic home are the subject of artist Jeremy Blake's compelling, abstract trio of films, the Winchester Trilogy, currently at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

...Blake seems more a deeply thoughtful, serious artist who reveals that his inspirations for the trilogy stemmed from heady sources - from reading volumes on American history and studying architecture and philosophy - as well as from pop culture (Dark Shadows and Raquel Welch as a gunslinger in the 1972 rape-revenge western Hannie Caulder; the latter will screen April 14 at the museum).

You can read the entire article here:

McMystery Mansion

It's actually quite interesting...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Another Interesting DS Reference
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 02:58:12 AM »
Sounds intertesting.  I always kick myself for not going to the Winchester Mystery House back when I lived out in the Bay Area.  Hopefully these films will show up on IFC or something.

It is great to see DS continues to influence people in the arts.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 10:48:34 PM »
Wow!  I love the Winchester Mystery House!  The really funny thing about it is that there is a strip mall right next to it.  The capriciousness of land development, eh?

Winchester House...DS...Raquel Welch...I just might have to book a flight to SF!   ;D

Thanks for the link, MB!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:05:30 AM »
The Winchester House is a fascinating, surreal place. . particularly the front which is a lovely, normal abode and then you walk around the back ..oddd odd odd. . Sarah needed some meds from Dr Julia .. .and Hannie Caulder. . i have to say I watch that every time i catch it on film . .just waiting for Hannie to shoot down Strother Martin, Jack Elam and Ernie Borgnine. . her first outfit though when they break into her house. .so very un-19th century frontier i think (unless Hannie was a former prostitute?)  . ..very 1970s Hollywood--just like Stanwycks non-very lady 19th century-California leather pants from the Big Valley.  .
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Winchester Mystery House and DS This week
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
From the SF Chronicle:

From the Sunday "This week" Section:  Tuesday.

In conjunction with artist Jeremy Blake's exhibit of digital artworks inspired by San Jose's spooky Winchester House, the SF Museum of Modern Art is screening episodes 214 and 222 of the proto-goth vampire TV servies "Dark Shadows" every day through June 30.
Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Mystery House and DS This week
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:07:41 AM »
screening episodes 214 and 222 of the proto-goth vampire TV servies "Dark Shadows" 

How interesting!  Does anyone know which episodes those are?
Josette

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Episode 214

Barnabas gives Victoria a history lesson of the Old House. Barnabas meets Roger and Carolyn. Roger notices that Barnabas wears the same ring that the Barnabas in the portrait has on. Everyone comments on how much Barnabas looks like the portrait of "original" Barnabas Collins.

Episode 222

Victoria goes to the Old House and finds Willie is now working for Barnabas, Willie is eager for Victoria to leave. Barnabas commissions Sam Evans to paint his portrait; Barnabas is insistent that he work only at night. Sam paints all night as sunrise approaches Barnabas disappears.

Penthea

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thank you, Penthea!!  :)
Josette

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
The following information was obtained from the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art website at  http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/exhib_detail.asp?id=200

SCREENINGS IN THE KORET VISITOR EDUCATION CENTER

Dark Shadows: Episodes 214 and 222
Courtesy of Dan Curtis Productions, Inc., 1967, 60 min.
June 02 - June 30, 2005
Daily (except Wednesdays): 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 7:00 p.m.
Koret Visitor Education Center

Free with Museum admission.

Dark Shadows: Episodes 236 and 365
Courtesy of Dan Curtis Productions, Inc. 1967, 60 min.
July 01 - August 14, 2005
Daily (except Wednesdays), 3:00 p.m.
Koret Visitor Education Center

Free with Museum admission.

In other words, they will be screening two additional DS episodes in July/August!!   [bigok]

EPISODE #236 SUMMARY:   Maggie is missing, Dr. Woodard thinks she may be dead. Burke and Joe go to the Old House to question Willie, however he is not there and Barnabas vouches for his whereabouts. After they leave Maggie comes out of an adjoining room. Barnabas gives Maggie Josette's music box and tells her she will be Josette.

EPISODE #365 SUMMARY:   Julia convinces the family to hold a sƒË†ance to contact Sarah. At the sƒË†ance Sarah speaks through Victoria, then Victoria disappears and a strange woman appears in her place.

A co-worker of mine who knows I love Dark Shadows gave me a copy of the SF Chronicle article last Sunday.  Although I live in the Bay Area, I am undecided as to whether I will go to these screenings, since I ALREADY have these episodes on DVD.  It IS really neat that DS is getting the recognition it deserves - alongside such an icon as the Winchester Mystery House. [rifle] [cheesyg]

I love the Winchester Mystery House.  I have seen it several times.  She really had a preoccupation with the number 13.  [winkg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]