Author Topic: Barbara Steele (91 Julia) Coming to San Francisco's Castro Theatre  (Read 518 times)

David

Last year, the Castro Theatre's annual Shock It 2 Me! horror festival featured guests Kathryn & Lara, & screenings of HODS & NODS.
This year, date in Oct TBA, Barbara Steele will be the guest of honor!
Screenings of Black Sunday (1960) and Pit & The Pendulum (1961) are expected on the theatre's GIANT screen.

I LOVE living in San Francisco!
YOWSA!

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What a year it continues to be for Barbara Steele!  The new disc of Nightmare Castle, which is set to include a video interview with Barbara discussing her career, is coming out sometime this week or next.

My roomie has been busting up watching Barbara's commentary to The She-Beast.  We both lament the fact that Barbara has never been given her own chat-show.  We adore her razor-sharp, off-the-wall wit!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
A follow-up to say that my copy of Nightmare Castle arrived last night. I just had time to watch the video interview with Barbara (it's been a hellishly busy week--AGAIN).  The video is beautifully done and I give all due kudos to Jim Pierson who is credited as the coordinating producer.  Many very rare stills of Barbara are shown while she is speaking but we also get plenty of footage of her as she is today, still a very glamorous woman with a face like none other. 

Barbara does speak about her work with Dan Curtis as the producer on the Winds of War/ War & Remembrance, and the experience of doing DS.  She says about the latter gig that she was "not allowed to be expressive or eccentric" in her performance, and that the character was written and directed to be highly "repressed," as a result of which she was "very angry" throughout much of the shoot.

She does praise Ben Cross and mentions that she saw Cross recently (perhaps when he was in LA doing the Trek thing) and that he is now living in Bulgaria!

G.