Author Topic: OT: Karloff's Farewell  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Karloff's Farewell
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
Marge honey, you would LOVE maybe the second or so episode of THRILLER ever produced.  It was a star vehicle for Constance Ford, the evil frigid b-i-t-c-h in THE SUMMER PLACE (sternly instructing a pouting Sandra Dee--"you gotta HOOK a man--you can't just let him kiss and MAUL you like that!").  I don't recall the plot details and I am looking forward to watching it again at some point.  I just remember she plays this conniving woman scheming to get her hands on some money, there's a big old mansion, and a plot more reminiscent of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS than the supernatural stuff referenced in this thread.

THRILLER really was a mixed bag.  To be honest most THRILLER fans regard the Diana Millay episode as one of the weakest.  I always enjoy the period details such as the clothing and decor but vintage TV junkies need more than that to pique their interest, I guess.

G.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 06:38:21 AM »
Marge honey, you would LOVE maybe the second or so episode of THRILLER ever produced.  It was a star vehicle for Constance Ford, the evil frigid b-i-t-c-h in THE SUMMER PLACE (sternly instructing a pouting Sandra Dee--"you gotta HOOK a man--you can't just let him kiss and MAUL you like that!").  I don't recall the plot details and I am looking forward to watching it again at some point.  I just remember she plays this conniving woman scheming to get her hands on some money, there's a big old mansion, and a plot more reminiscent of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS than the supernatural stuff referenced in this thread.

Because of the timing of when it's on, I mostly miss the beginning of it, but end up seeing most of the rest.  Even with that, a lot of them have been very good.  I saw most of the one you're referring to.  I just looked it up - it's the 3rd episode, "Worse than Murder."  By now I don't remember much about it, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was good.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Constance Ford made it brilliant.  I think she and Clarice were friends with one another btw.  Like Clarice, Constance Ford was a highly talented actress who became a regular on one of the Sixties soaps--I can't recall which one now. 

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »
Constance Ford played Ada, the salt of the earth mother of A.nother World's resident bad girl Rachel
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
The Elizabeth Montgomery vampire episode is super interesting as well.

That ep is being shown Tuesday at 3am ET on MeTV. Given all the glowing recommendations in this topic, I'm really looking forward to it. Plus I'm pretty sure I've never seen any of Elizabeth Montgomery's work prior to Bewitched, so that alone should make watching fun.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
Well, it was definitely a hoot. Though I've got to say that I suspected the twist early on. And by the time they started pouring on the clues about three quarters of the way through, I was certain of it. But none of that lessened the fun one iota. And using the Psycho house as the exterior was great fun as well. (That really had to add to things for the audience of the original airing.)

And while we're on the subject of this show, I definitely found it interesting that in the first season not only did two separate eps star William Shatner, but they starred William Shatner paired with Elizabeth Allen, and a future star of Gilligan's Island. The Hungry Glass starred Shatner, Allen, and Russell Johnson - and The Grim Reaper (which I also thought was quite good) starred Shatner, Allen, and Natalie Schafer. I suppose they liked the pairing of Shatner and Allen so much that they couldn't wait to pair them again. Or perhaps they were a couple at the time and they requested to work together again. Who knows? But the pairing doesn't seem coincidental, even if putting them with Johnson and Schafer had to be.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
There's another Thriller episode that would make a nice companion to the Elizabeth Montgomery episode. It stars Darren #1, Dick York and is one of the shows where Boris isn't merely the narrator.  He's in full mad scientist mode and there is a good twist at the end
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
"The Incredible Dr. Markesan."  After seeing several stills from it as a child in Famous Monsters, I finally got to see the episode a few years ago.  It's a really good one, even if the stupidity of the Dick York character really does beggar belief.

G.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
I purchased the DVD set as soon as it became available. Love this show.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »

Thriller just started over at the beginning this morning, so I'm assuming this episode will be on again at 3:00 (Eastern) Thursday morning (what I still consider as Wednesday night).  The one before that was one I saw the last time with a little boy and I thought it very exciting.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Wasn't the one with Constance Ford on last night/early this morning? I haven't watched it yet, but the credits on my DVR list her.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
Oh, wait - I see - she's on again in the 3rd ep of the 1st season. How wild that she was in both the 1st ep and the 3rd ep of the season.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 02:23:11 AM »
Well, to say Constance Ford's character was a hoot and a half would be an understatement. Loved her! Though why do I suspect that when the ep originally ran back in the day, most of the audience probably hated her? But even if they did, hopefully they appreciated CF's tour de force performance. And somehow I suspect her character landed right back on feet after her little trip to the police station (after all, there was no evidence against her) and she was soon back to her devilish and scheming ways.

However, one thing no one has mentioned about the ep is the direct connection it has to DS. It was nagging at me the whole time I watched - but right after I finished watching it finally hit me. Has it hit anyone else who watched yet?  [hall2_wink]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »
I thought I had seen most of this the last time around, but the little blurb of it was too vague for me to be sure.  It turned out I had missed it entirely, so it was good to see it.  I have absolutely no idea what the DS connection is that you're hinting at.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Has it hit anyone else who watched yet?  [hall2_wink]

I didn't watch it and only caught this morning's awful ep since the series was restarted, but having seen the credits for the one you're talking about, John Baragrey-- who played Burke's banker-- is near the top of the list.