Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0212  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0212
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
Actually, since we don't have infinite space on the server (nor do the mods have infinite time), edits in quotes by all cousins are much appreciated.

VERY MUCH appreciated!  [wink2]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »
David seems puzzled as to why nobody likes Willie or wants him around, gee I wonder why too other than the fact he [spoiler]harassed Vicki, Carolyn and Maggie, insulted Sam, pissed Burke off to the point Burke beat the snot out of him.[/spoiler]

I edited part of this quote to just reply to part of it.

David and Mrs. Johnson both seemed to like Willie, Mrs. J was concerned when he didn't come back. Everyone else hated his guts, since he had wronged them in some way. He had mistreated Vicki and Carolyn, insulted Roger, was mooching off Mrs. Stoddard along with Jason and caused her worry when Carolyn told her she had almost shot him. To those outside Collinwood he had picked fights with Burke and Joe, had insinuated to Sam that he painted his daughter in the nude (had I been Sam I would have knocked his block off) and came on too strong with Maggie. So of all the people he had met, only David and Mrs. Johnson liked him because he had not mistreated them personally. David can't know how Willie behaved around the others since they didn't tell him. How could Vicki have said, "No, David, I don't like Willie. He acted like a jerk toward me." You know David, he'd want details and she couldn't have given them.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
David and Mrs. Johnson both seemed to like Willie, Mrs. J was concerned when he didn't come back. Everyone else hated his guts, since he had wronged them in some way.

Mrs Johnson, did have some afinity for bad young men, think of her son.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:49 PM »
Quote from: Alondra
of all the people he had met, only David and Mrs. Johnson liked him because he had not mistreated them personally.

It's true that Willie didn't mistreat Mrs. Johnson, but he had given her plenty to worry about.  He feigned civility to get information out of her about the family graves with the intent to rob them.  And I doubt the family stopped complaining about Willie's misdeeds in her presence.  She just refused to see any of it.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
 :) I agree with Lori. She was thinking of her son, dear Harry who was in prison. Though we don't see him til much later on, and the writers had probably not thought of her having a son, it fit in very well here for her to show some caring for Willie. I think later on the writers wanted Harry to be like Willie, only difference being that one is very easy on the eyes and the other is an eyesore, IMO.

Alondra

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 07:52:52 PM »
:)I agree with Lori. She was thinking of her son, dear Harry who was in prison.

I'm not removing Harry from the equation. In the discussion for ep #211, I said:
she believed that Willie's expression of sorrow after learning that Barnabas died in England indicated that there's still some good in him.  Oh please!  And this from a woman whose son has "itchy fingers."

I think that having a son with the same propensity should give his mother all the more reason to be suspicious and not the other way around.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »
Actually, since we don't have infinite space on the server (nor do the mods have infinite time), edits in quotes by all cousins are much appreciated.

VERY MUCH appreciated!  [wink2]

Something else that would be very much appreciated:

From the stickied topic "Bandwidth Saving Measures":
remove signatures if they're redundant (maybe this is my hangup, but if the person saying the quote is already listed above the quote, why bother to include it within the quote too?)

It's true that the mods are no longer doing this simply to save bandwidth (which isn't as much of an issue as it was back in 2002) - but it does save space in the database - and saving space in the database is always going to be something we're striving for because we want all the forum's posts to always be available for visitors to read. On other forums where the mods routinely delete older posts after a certain period of time, saving database space is certainly not an issue, but it is for us. And we would greatly appreciate any help our members could provide to help us do it.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
I think that having a son with the same propensity should give his mother all the more reason to be suspicious and not the other way around.

That is a really good point. Sometimes though if you have some rational or justification for it. You don't see it when others do it.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:04 PM »
On other forums where the mods routinely delete older posts after a certain period of time,
Oh golly, I hope that never has to happen here!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:55 PM »
Believe me, we don't ever want to do it, which is why we ask that people help to save as much space as possible.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Removing signatures from quotes / was: Re: Discuss - Ep #0212
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 05:50:11 AM »
Something else that would be very much appreciated:

From the stickied topic "Bandwidth Saving Measures":
remove signatures if they're redundant (maybe this is my hangup, but if the person saying the quote is already listed above the quote, why bother to include it within the quote too?)

To remove a signature, once the quote shows up in your response, you just highlight the redundant signature (and any unneeded spacing) and click delete.  Voilƒ , no more signature in the quote.  :D