Author Topic: Regarding: The Six Degrees of Separation of Mark Twain and Portia Fitzsimmons  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Hey gang,

I just finished a terrific book, entitled "Harold: The Boy Who Became Mark Twain, " an autobiography by the very distinguished actor, Hal Holbrook.  We all know Mr. Holbrook from his memorable performances in such notable films as "All the President's Men," "Natural Enemies," and "Magnum Force" (one of my all-time favorites).

In the book, Mr. Holbrook relates his experiences of growing up in Ohio, attending Dennison University and his US Army service during World War II.  In addition, Mr. Holbrook recounts his many travels across the United States as a struggling actor, literally, from Goffstown, N.H. to Socorro, N.M., and from McMinnville, Oregon to Pascagoula, Miss., during which he first devised his wonderful portrayal of the legendary American humorist/author, Mark Twain (a/k/a Samuel Clemens).

Mr. Holbrook writes about his early experiences on a 1950s soap opera, called "The Brighter Day."  However, he first became really noticed (by the great Ed Sullivan) during his appearances at a NYC nightclub called "Upstairs at the Duplex" during the late 1950s.  Two of his college friends appeared with him onstage there: pianist Bruce Morton and a young and vivacious actress/singer named Lovelady Powell.

Mr. Holbrook relates that when he appeared onstage in his Mark Twain grey wig, moustache, and trademark white suit, the nightclub goers actually thought that he was Col. Harlan Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame!  "Are we going to served chicken along with drinks?" they asked him.

Of course, that actress/singer, Lovelady Powell, would later become famous as the coolly beautiful Portia Fizsimmons, art dealer extraordinaire, on "Dark Shadows."   (I believe that there had been speculation that Portia Fitzsimmons was Buzz Hackett's beckoner in a continuation of Angelique's infamous "Dream Curse" on this very web site several years ago, but I digress.)

In a Nov. 5, 1955 review of the performers of the "Upstairs at the Duplex," in "The New Yorker," the critic wrote: "Things pickup when a tall, slim and handsome brunette with the disturbing (emphasis added) name of Lovey Powell strides brislkly into view and delivers a group of superior songs in husky tones."

"Miss Powell is really no great shakes as a singer, but she is a talented actress, and I am certain they you will have no fault with her delivery of "Ten Cents a Dance," and "Stay Well," and several other attractive things."

Wow, I never knew that Ms. Powell was such a renowned nightclub entertainer, in addition to being an accomplished stage actress.  It's too bad that she never got to sing some appropriately sultry torch song (like, for instance,  "I Want to Dance With You"?) at The Blue Whale on "Dark Shadows"!

Then again, I regret that we never got to hear the late, great Louis Edmond deliver his, undoubtedly, soulful interprertation of "Try to Remember" or the wonderfully whimsical "Plant a Radish," both from the long-running, off-Broadway smash, "The Fantasticks," on "Dark Shadows" either.  C'est la vie. [ghost_sad]

Bob

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Lovey Powell did at least two records  back in the day - a singing album called Lovelady Upstairs at the Duplex, and a comedy album (with DS' very own Peter Turgeon) entitled Tony Webster's Marriage Counselor. You can find both on eBay. 

Petofi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
petofi,

Thanks for the information regarding Ms. Powell.  (I wonder if the name, "Lovey" Powell, was the inspiration for "Lovey" Howell on "Gilligan's Island"?) [ghost_huh] [ghost_grin]

And, I was recently saw Richard Gere and Lauren Hutton in "American Gigolo" for the first time in over thirty years, and, there was actor Peter Turgeon (the second Dr. Woodard) portraying Richard Gere's defense attorney in the film. [ghost_shocked] [ghost_smiley]

Thanks again,

Bob

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Thanks for the information regarding Ms. Powell.  (I wonder if the name, "Lovey" Powell, was the inspiration for "Lovey" Howell on "Gilligan's Island"?) [ghost_huh] [ghost_grin]

And, I was recently saw Richard Gere and Lauren Hutton in "American Gigolo" for the first time in over thirty years, and, there was actor Peter Turgeon (the second Dr. Woodard) portraying Richard Gere's defense attorney in the film. [ghost_shocked] [ghost_smiley]

Thanks from me, too.  I failed to Google up much data, myself.   Someone breezes onto the DS set for one episode, never to be seen again, and it's a window into another interesting life and career...

Bob, I've heard here that PT was actually Woodard #3!   I look forward to seeing that unfold on the Watcjhing Project, soon.

I figure that "Lovelady" is a more common name than we might have thought, and that that was Mrs. Howell's "real" name.   Can you imagine a parent naming a little girl that, these days?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MT,

Yes, you're right, Peter Turgeon was the second Dr. Woodard; another actor portrayed the Doc Woodard, who treated both Roger Collins (after David Collins' impromptu "brake job" on Roger's car) and Willie Loomis after ol' Willie received a bite on his wrist from Mr. B.   (My memory is startng to be as "sharp" and "clear" as those of Ezra Braithwaite and the Eagle Hill Cemetery Caretaker, I fear.)  [ghost_shocked] [ghost_huh] [ghost_grin]

As to really "unusual" first names for children, the late, great George Carlin opined on the absolute silliness of some of the many new given names for baby boys and girls in his book, "Brain Droppings," in a piece entitled "Whatever Ever Happened to All of the Shirleys and Ernies?," if I remember correctly.

Bob

ClaudeNorth

I've often wondered if Lovelady Powell was the mysterious "Honey/Honeypot" that KLS claims was considered for the role of Dr. Julia Hoffman.  She would have been great in the role, although no one can hold a candle to Grayson Hall.  It's a shame that DC didn't find a way to keep Portia Fitzsimmons around for a while, or come up with another role for Ms. Powell.  (Can you imagine Grayson Hall and Lovelady Powell in the same episode?  Divine Shadows!)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
good god claude...

la powell and la hall in the same episode? the screen would positively self combust out of sheer fabulousness!

one of my regrets for the series is that while technically grayson got to work with diana millay as magda during the 1897 arc the good doctor hoffman never got to go head to head with laura collins.

can you even imagine the showdowns?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
If 1967 Laura and Miss Hoffman had had a showdown, the uptilting of chins, elevation of eyebrows, curling of lips and flaring of nostrils would have been truly stratopheric...

And I weep to think of the possibilities if Lovey Powell and Grayson had been paired. Talk about lost opportunities.  DC wasn't around when Powell was on, so far as I recall (I think he was in England working on the Jack Palance Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) which may have been part of why she was never brought back.

Somewhat off topic, I recently had the pleasure of viewing on Youtube an episode of "Shirley Temple Theater" from the early 1960s which had Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith on Lost in Space) and Agnes Moorehead doing scenes together.  The archness was almost unbearably fab.

G.

ClaudeNorth

Wow! The thought of a Julia-Laura conflict never occurred to me, but now it's hard to believe that it never happened.  For some reason, I'm picturing them on that great kitchen set, having a debate over something trivial, such as strawberry preserves vs. marmalade, that is dripping with insinuations and veiled threats.

As for a Hall-Powell pairing, I imagine their characters as friends.  Perhaps Powell could have played Julia' glamorous chanteuse friend from college, who arrives in Collinsport and inspires Julia's makeover that occurred shortly after the 1795 flashback.  (In a special episode that serves as an homage to Satan in High Heels, a montage depicts Julia's transformation from drab to fab, under the direction of Powell's character.)  But when Barnabas begins to pay too much attention to Julia's friend, their long-buried rivalry rises to the surface, resulting in deliciously wicked confrontations.

And how funny, Gothick, that you should mention Jonathan Harris.  Tonight I watched an episode from the 1840 flashback and Louis Edmonds, as Daniel Collins, clutched his chest and moaned, "Oh! The pain!" in exactly the same manner as Harris often did on Lost in Space.  (Now, just imagine Louis Edmonds and Jonathan Harris appearing together...)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
g,

i've been envisioning all day your fictitious 1967 scenario(.."upturned chins, etc"..)with great pleasure.

funny this post is making me nostalgic for the days when we just shared about our little show before the overheated dialogue over the film sucked up all the energy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Yeah, michael.  those were the days, my friend!

Claude, perhaps we could rope in some of the other great day players as well.  Cavada Humphrey, Jane Draper, and Anita Sharp-Bolster could all play parts in the Julia's makeover scene. 

It's fascinating how some of New York's most "emphatic" actresses of the Sixties managed to appear on the show... remember Paula Laurence and "Aunt Hannah"?

I'm forgetting the name of the divine old dear who portrayed Grandmamama Edith in 1897...

G.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Isabella Hoopes of "The SEEEECRET!!" fame!

Petofi

ClaudeNorth

\Claude, perhaps we could rope in some of the other great day players as well.  Cavada Humphrey, Jane Draper, and Anita Sharp-Bolster could all play parts in the Julia's makeover scene...remember Paula Laurence and "Aunt Hannah"?

Cavada and Jane have long been favorites who warranted other roles, and I recently rediscovered the joys of Paula Laurence during my latest viewing of Parallel Time.  For some reason, I recalled her being rather harsh and was pleasantly surprised to discover how much fun she was.

Another fave rave day player of mine is Erica Fitz, who reminded me of a drag version of '60s-era Marianne Faithfull.  She had an odd androgynous quality and a bizarre deadpan delivery, and I couldn't help wondering how much of the other characters' odd reactions to Leona Eltridge were a product of the actors' reactions to La Fitz.  In one scene, Adam visits Leona as she's resting in Josette's room.  However, the technician cut to the scene a split-second early, just long enough to catch a glimpse of Robert Rodan smirking before assuming Adam's humorless persona. Granted, my perceptions have probably been colored by time and my reverence for drag queens and Marianne Faithfull, but I swear that you could almost see it in the faces of the cast that they were all thinking, "Where the hell did Dan find her?!!"