Author Topic: When do you watch / How many?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
When do you watch / How many?
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:19:01 AM »
I watch one episode per day, right before bed. It's a wonderful escape from the day's pressures.

I find Cobert's music, the atmosphere of Collinwood, and the generally slow pace of the show to be extremely relaxing and a great way to quiet my mind for a good night's rest.

Occasionally I'll watch a couple, but I try to keep it at one a day to maintain the show's original rythym, and I've done it this way for so long that I'm like Pavlov's Dog - as soon as I hear that opening theme, my eyes start getting droopy. I love it.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: When do you watch / How many?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 07:06:27 AM »
I watch a complete VHS tape (5 episodes) usually on my days off in the afternoon. 8)
MM

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:17:47 AM »
I watch a complete DVD (20 episodes) in the afternoon.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »
For me it's like that old Lay's Potato chip commercial, "You can't just eat one!"
I can't stop at one. So end up watching a whole tape.
Julianka

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 09:09:59 AM »

Wow! Every day?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 10:18:38 PM »
If only I had the money to buy anything DS. XD

*shakes fist at overexpensive colleges*

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 11:24:29 PM »
I always have a DS DVD in my player.  That way, if there is nothing on 'regular' television, I just watch DS where I stopped it the last time.  When those disc's are done, the next one is waiting in the wings. [Witch_Potion_Animated] [2Bats]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 12:08:25 AM »
Believe it or not, before starting the forum's slideshows, I hadn't sat down to watch a DS episode purely for enjoyment since September of 1997, when DS ended its first stint on the Sci-Fi Channel. But since this past June 27th, I'm regularly watching three or four (a few times only two) episodes a day (depending on how many originally aired on a given date) from five different storylines. It has actually turned out to be a surprisingly fun way to watch.  ;)

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 04:03:55 AM »

A complete DVD is 40 episodes and it would take all day to watch. I know because I actually did this during Labor Day weekend.

Since August, I've been watching 8 episodes a day trying to go through at least one set a week.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 04:12:34 AM »
It varies from day to day. On days that I'm lazing around the house, I can get through a disc. Sometimes I'll watch two to three episodes a day.

I watch an episode every morning. It's a ritual. If I don't have my morning bowl of cereal and my episode of DS, my day is wrecked.  :P

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 07:16:17 AM »
But since this past June 27th, I'm regularly watching three or four (a few times only two) episodes a day (depending on how many originally aired on a given date) from five different storylines.

You're watching up to 20 episodes a day? That's amazing!

I'm curious how many people watch DS at night and how many prefer it during the day. I think I'll start a poll if I can figure out how to do it.

I know DS originally aired in the afternoon, but I never saw an episode until the DVDs started coming out, so it's completely a night-time thing for me - I just can't feel the atmosphere during daylight hours.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 07:39:45 AM »

I try to watch one a day if I can.  If I miss a couple of days, I "catch up" on Sundays.  Unusally I get through one or two MPI tapes a week.

Even though DS originally aired during the day, I find it more fun to watch them at night for the spooky factor.  The other night I was watching an early ep during a thunderstorm at 2AM.  There also happened to be a thunderstorm going on in the show as well.  It was one with Matthew Morgan & Vicki at the Old House.  It was pretty freaky with the thunder roaring outside AND on the television!   :o
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 08:05:32 AM »
A complete DVD is 40 episodes and it would take all day to watch. I know because I actually did this during Labor Day weekend.

Since August, I've been watching 8 episodes a day trying to go through at least one set a week.

A set a week? Yikes!

Collection 2 had just come out when I started buying the DVDs. (I had never seen a single episode, by the way)

Of course I started with Collection 1, but I was burning through episodes so fast that when I made it to the end of Collection 2, I had to wait several weeks for Collection 3 to come out. I was completely hooked by that point, so it was quite painful to have to wait so long for more episodes.

That's when I decided I had better pace myself so that I didn't "run out" before the next set was released. Each set contains 2 months worth of the original broadcast schedule, so I figured I'd better keep it down to 5 episodes a week so that I could keep pace with the releases and never have to go without.

I soon realized that If I watched my episode early in the evening, I jonesed for more for the rest of the night, so I made my DS viewing the last thing I did before going to sleep. It wasn't long before my head was trained to start getting sleepy when I put on DS.

I was working a Monday through Friday job at the time, so I eventually got on a schedule of watching an episode each night from Sunday through Thursday, that way I was sure to be well rested for my Monday through Friday job. It was a great way to enjoy the show because I was basically watching it the way it was aired; I'd see the Friday cliff-hanger on Thursday night and have to wait until Sunday night to find out what happened next.

My current job keeps me on the road for long periods of time, so now I watch an episode a night, every night. I miss the rythym of 5 episodes a week, but fortunately, due to various circumstances, I've fallen far enough behind the release schedule that there's little chance now that I'll run out.

If I continue watching at this pace, it should take me approximately 5 years to get through the entire run of the show - I should be far enough removed from the episodes I've already seen that, by the time I get back to the beginning, they'll be relatively "fresh" for me -  :)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 08:16:15 AM »
Even though DS originally aired during the day, I find it more fun to watch them at night for the spooky factor.

My sentiments, exactly.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »
I watch two episodes a night. It is more fun at night.

FireRose