Author Topic: Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto CA to screen Joan Bennett films  (Read 1022 times)

David

Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto CA to screen Joan Bennett films
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:21:42 AM »
go to www.Stanfordtheatre.org
click "current program"
for dates and times
JB films are The Woman in the Window (1945)
and Hollow Triumph (1948)

David

David

Re: Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto CA to screen Joan Bennett films
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:42:38 AM »
BTW, Palo Alto is halfway between San Francisco & San Jose.
CalTrain, the commuter rail line that runs bwtween the 2 cities, has a stop in Palo Alto that's a 5 minute walk from the theatre.

The Stanford is a beautiful, old, art deco movie palace that shows only classic films.
Worth a visit.

David

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:06:10 AM »
Wish I could see "Woman in the Window".  Leonard Maltin, for one, ranks it highly.  It never aired on TCM when I had cable, and it hasn't been released on DVD last I checked.

I saw Jean Cocteau's "Orphee" at the Stanford Theater ... a modernization of the Orpheus myth that DS also used at the end of the Quentin/Amanda storyline.  Among other great films, I also saw Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" for the first time there.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 05:41:38 AM »
Leonard Maltin? It's not for good reason that his review show was quickly canceled.  ;D  And, please, the man appears on Entertainment Tonight, which, aside from a few good early years, has become television's answer to the National Enquirer. If their promos are any indication, they'll do stories that even E! won't handle!!  :o

Honestly, almost anyone can call themselves a film critic  - and, yes, even once and a while they're bound to get it right simply by the law of averages.  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 02:25:29 AM »
Leonard Maltin? ... Honestly, almost anyone can call themselves a film critic  - and, yes, even once and a while they're bound to get it right simply by the law of averages.  ;)

I know, I know, I recognized the incongruity of my reference, but I couldn't think of another critic off-hand who I knew had a review of "Woman in the Window" (or it may be that he commented on the film in his mini-review of "Scarlet Street.")

If we're talking popular (with an emphasis on popular) movie/video review books for quick reference, I do find his comments to be a cut above the others I've looked at.

(And yes, I know I said elsewhere that I was ducking controversy by going out of town - but I noticed this computer in the hotel lobby and hopped on.)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:40:19 AM »
If we're talking popular (with an emphasis on popular) movie/video review books for quick reference

Well, for better or worse, the National Enquirer is popular, too.  [wink2]  (Mostly worse, IMO, though.  :()

(And yes, I know I said elsewhere that I was ducking controversy by going out of town - but I noticed this computer in the hotel lobby and hopped on.)

We know - you just couldn't stay away.  :D