Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0366  (Read 1543 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0366
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:55 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0366
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:05 AM »
This show was so good.  I am still wondering how they made Jonathan look younger.  Was it less hair stuff, I hate to say greese?  Was it lighting, make-up, or maybe Jonathan was happy as Barnabas.

I the old house had pink walls and I liked the frontroom or parlor.  It was so bright and happy.  As I said before the people had to spend alot of time painting the set.  As Joan Bennett said before she liked costume dramas, it was great for a ladies bustline.

I can't imagine how how Vickie would have been so dumb.  But then they are setting up Vickie from the start.  Sarah looked so happy and I loved the picture she drew of her new governess. Vickie's room was very small.

By the way didn't you notice the time traveling afgan.  There it starts.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
I can't imagine how how Vickie would have been so dumb.

I don't think at this point in the story Vicki is behaving "dumb". I mean, it isn't every day one gets transported back in to the past and confronted by total strangers who by all appearances should know you.

I thought it was rather amusing when Nathan tells Vicki he'll be Joe if that's who she wants him to be.  ;D

Many people say Vicki is much too nice and sweet, but she shows a bit of metal when she slaps Nathan for making improper advances towards her.

I wonder if the writers consciously chose the last names of the governesses, Vicki Winters and Philis Wick both beginning with W. If so, it sets the bewildered Vicki up nicely with an excuse,, Wick, Winters, they're easily confused if you've been in a carriage accident.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »
I agree with lori54: Vicky is dumb.  Yes, this is an unusual situation, but if I were thrown into it, I'd remember what my parents taught me: "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  I guess they don't teach that in foundling homes.

When Vicky was talking to Sarah in her bedroom, I suddenly remembered how easily Maggie talked to Sarah, even when she didn't know who Sarah was.  If only Maggie had gone to 1795 instead of Vicky!  It would have caused some confusion having a governess who looked just like the future mistress of the house, but Maggie could have just grabbed a blond wig and then everything would have been fine.  Of course, if this were the original Eve Arden-style Maggie, she would probably have gotten herself into even more trouble than Vicky did - but at least it would have been funny.

The Old House in 1795 is beautiful.  Everything is so clean!  You don't see many servants around, but they must be up at the crack of dawn scrubbing everything.  Willie's efforts are looking pretty shabby right now.

Barnabas is such a gentleman when he tells Vicky that if he doesn't know her, then the loss is his!  She's behaving like a lunatic, but he still manages to pay her a compliment.

I don't like Naomi's apple-green cloak. It's a lovely bright color - but there's just too much of it.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:50 PM »
I have been thinking, I know that is dangerous. But maybe  they turned up the lights really high.  Where as latter they kept them really dark.    Also the figurine on the stairway was gone.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:18:22 AM »
Dash it all, I keep meaning to take a look at that figurine, because somebody was asking about it a while back.  Now it will be months before I get a chance!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »
I don't think the sculpture at the foot of the stairs comes back in 1968. Apparently those mystery contractors/painters/wallpaperers who worked awfully quickly to restore the Old House back to the way it was in 1795/96 must have gotten rid of it.  [wink2]

I've mentioned this several times before, but it can probably never be mentioned too often how unintentionally hilariously absurd the final moments of this episode are what with Nathan, Naomi and Barnabas simply standing there looking at the unconscious Vicki on the floor after she's fainted:

Yes, it's dramatic, but come on - are they all in such shock themselves that not one of them would bend down to make sure Vicki is all right?!  ::)  I mean, wouldn't that actually be the immediately instinctive reaction to someone fainting in front of you? At least I would hope it would be...

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »
I love the way the Old House (Collinwood in those days) looked in 1795! [cheer] So bright and colorful! [color] Yes, I agree, it does seem like they turned the lights way up! Love the effect. [cheesyg]

I don't like Naomi's apple-green cloak. It's a lovely bright color - but there's just too much of it.
I disagree, Lydia. Green is my favorite color, so I love it! [winkg]

It's very refreshing to see Joel Crothers playing another character which is so different from Joe! [clap2] He looks very handsome in that uniform and sideburns! [luv]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
are they all in such shock themselves that not one of them would bend down to make sure Vicki is all right?!    I mean, wouldn't that actually be the immediately instinctive reaction to someone fainting in front of you?

I can easily imagine that people, at least the rich people in this still, may have been raised not to do anything as undignified as bending down or bending over in public, at least not for the sake of "the help".    Nathan may have been trained differently, to help out civilians in trouble, but well, we know how helpful Nathan can be.

This would all lead to awkward moments such as this one, where they all saeem to be thinking, "Don't we have employees to take care of these things?"
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »
I like to comment on the episodes of the beginning of 1795:

I'm willing to cut Vicki some slack for her shock and bewilderment in this episode, because, as Sunny said, how often does one go back in time?

Unfortunately, though, Vicki does grow more foolish in the episodes ahead....

Barnabas DID look younger in his pre-vamp days and more attractive too. I agree that he was very much the gentleman with Vicki....I think he felt sorry for her in a way. I don't know if he thought she was nuts or just a stranger lost from who knows where, but he was very polite and nice to her.

Sarah was adorable. I too love the picture she drew of her new governess. I loved the interaction between her and Barnabas....I wish we could have seen more scenes between these two.