Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0801_0802  (Read 1631 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0801_0802
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0801_0802
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »
Quentin comes to realize that Victor is the Count and the Count admits it.  Does Quentin kill animals as the Count apparently did with his Unicorn?   
New props suddenly appear on the table in this episode.
The Count says, "I've paid my price. You must pay yours."   What will that price be? 
Jamison is back and just in time to become possessed.  School must be out for the summer and time to give  David a bigger role in the show. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Count Petofi cut himself in the face to prove to Quentin and Magda that he was human.
2. Evan told Quentin that Tim took the Hand, and then Quentin told Magda.
3. Before Count Petofi left Collinwood, he told Jamison to kiss him goodbye. From that point on, Jamison was possessed by Count Petofi! [shkdg]
4. As he was leaving, Count Petofi warned Quentin and Magda that everyone would soon face the truth and be destroyed by that truth. Great line!

It was fantastic when Quentin realized that Count Petofi was telling the truth when Petofi mentioned that he felt great sadness when he woke up in the morning and discovered that the wolf had killed his prized unicorn. Petofi knew what Quentin was going through because he was a werewolf, too.  [ghost_rolleyes]

It was fun to watch Evan be so frightened of the hand that he kept imagining that he saw it. [shiver] I'm glad he finally cooperated with Quentin and told him who took the Hand. [whew]

I was surprised to see Jamison being so attached to Petofi. I don't believe we ever saw them together. It was sad when Jamison told Petofi that he would miss him. But then Petofi told him that he would see that he didn't. Chilling line when Petofi said, "Remember, I'll be watching you, even though you don't see me."  [ghost_shocked]

I love the end of the show, when Quentin and Magda realized that Jamison was possessed! David Henesy is an terrific actor! He had Petofi's mannerisms and the way he spoke down pat. It was really spooky to watch. I love how Magda said, "He... He is possessed!" Excellent delivery of that line.  [ghost_wink]

Great episode! Kudos to all for their sensational acting. [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
I agree.  Jamison's intense devotion to and affection for Count Petofi was straight out of left field.

I notice, too, that Petofi lifted his suitcase with his "bad" hand.  Interesting.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
This was one of those rare voiceovers that was part recap, in case the excitement of the previous day's events caused us to forget?  Anyway, it explained that Victor Fenn-GibbonS (!) revealed at the Old House that Aristede had been acting as his agent, and when Magda truthfully revealed that the hand was missing, an angry Aristede was sent from the house.

BTW, the DS Program Guide states that the previous day's show was preempted on 7/21/69 for the Apollo 11 Splashdown.  The splashdown, really??!  (It also lists an incorrect tape date for this ep, sigh.)

Quentin threatened the murder of 3 people in this ep; that has to be a record!...
Q to Petofi:  "How were you cured? Tell me if you want to live!"
Q to Magda:  "You stole the hand and you brought him here. I should kill you for that."
Then, Q to Evan (about who possessed the hand):  "Tell me, or I'll kill you right here, tonight!"

It always amazes me that spellcasters on DS can recall any needed incantation at the drop of a pointy hat, but does Quentin really expect Petofi to remember details of how the old gypsy cured him 100 years ago?  (Julianka already told Quentin in #796 that Petofi paid for her great-grandmother's werewolf cure with his hand, so Magda's telling of all this to Quentin shouldn't have been necessary.)

If he needs a reason to kill Magda, shouldn't it be for putting the curse on him in the first place rather than for stealing the hand in order to help him?

As to killing Evan... oh, just do it.  Please.

I'm guessing that the popular Quentin 5X7 postcards were photographed right around this time.  The hair and sideburns look the same, and in one of the images he's wearing the same coat worn in this ep.

It was fantastic when Quentin realized that Count Petofi was telling the truth when Petofi mentioned that he felt great sadness when he woke up in the morning and discovered that the wolf had killed his prized unicorn.

Actually, it made Quentin realize that Victor was lying about not being Count Petofi.  Only someone with intimate knowledge of what it's like being a werewolf would know that they wake with no memory of what occurred during the transformation.  This mistake forced Victor to finally admit that he really was the Count.

I notice, too, that Petofi lifted his suitcase with his "bad" hand.  Interesting.

I thought that was deliberate.  Wasn't it?  It happened after Jamison had kissed him and became possessed by his spirit.  If Jamison adopted Petofi's disability, then it's possible that Petofi took on one of Jamison's abilities.  No?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
Actually, it made Quentin realize that Victor was lying about not being Count Petofi.  Only someone with intimate knowledge of what it's like being a werewolf would know that they wake with no memory of what occurred during the transformation.  This mistake forced Victor to finally admit that he really was the Count.
Oh, yeah, that's right. [6184] That's what I meant to say. I got it mixed up. That scene was confusing to me.  [ghost_wacko] Thanks for helping me get it straight. [bigok]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »
Does Quentin kill animals as the Count apparently did with his Unicorn?
I think the unicorn in Petofi's life would more likely be the equivalent of Beth in Quentin's life: someone who was very dear to him.  It may (but this is where the equivalence would end) be that the unicorn was the only being whom Petofi ever loved.  Somehow the unicorn story never struck me much before this watching, but this time around it did.  A werewolf attacking a unicorn must have been such a tragic sight!  Would the unicorn have tried to defend itself?  It all depends on what sort of creature a Dark Shadows unicorn is.

I didn't think much of Quentin's proof that Petofi was lying.  It is possible for non-werewolves to find out - secondhand albeit - the basic facts of what it's like to be a werewolf.  But Petofi accepted what Quentin said, so I guess it wasn't worth the bother to him to maintain the fiction that he was not Petofi.  I found Magda deficient in logic, too.  Just because a man is missing a hand, it doesn't mean that he must be Count Petofi.  I can imagine a man, an Evan Hanley sort of guy, reading about the hand of Count Petofi and deciding to attach it to himself, and cutting off his own hand in preparation.  And then Magda suddenly remembers that Petofi would be a hundred years old so he must be a ghost - but I would have thought that that idea would have occurred to her much earlier.  The whole confrontation was sort of messy, but identity is always difficult to prove or disprove when proof via DNA is not available, so let it pass.

I was surprised to see Jamison being so attached to Petofi. I don't believe we ever saw them together.
Nor did we see David and Adam together when Adam was hidden in the west wing.

If he needs a reason to kill Magda, shouldn't it be for putting the curse on him in the first place rather than for stealing the hand in order to help him?
Quentin has certainly changed mind since the other day when he was ready to kill Magda for (as she thought) destroying the hand.

As to killing Evan... oh, just do it.  Please.
YES!!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:38:18 AM »
No, we need magnificent weasel Evan right up until the end....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor