Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0917  (Read 1021 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0917
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:38:20 AM »
Robservations #917

And remember:
Thursday, January 21: No Episode, originally Thursday, January 1, 1970 was New Year's Day
[occasion18]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0917
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:32:05 AM »
Today Elizabeth explained why Dr. Reeves has been Paul Stoddard's attending physician: because Paul is scared of Julia.  I don't remember that being the latest state of Paul's feelings towards Julia (though it may well be), but since Paul was being kept under complete sedation, it would be hard for him to deny it.  At any rate, it probably doesn't much matter.  Julia would be unlikely to disapprove of sedating a patient within an inch of his life.

I was thinking that I hadn't known Mrs. Johnson was such a good liar, but then I remembered how she happened to come to Collinwood in the first place.  Poor Mrs. Johnson, she missed her calling.  I'm sure she would have had an ecstatically happy career if she had become a CIA agent.

The end of this episode reminded me of Tim Shaw returning Beth to the supposed Quentin towards the end of 1897.  Even assuming that Paul is sick, It seems wrong to send him back to a place and to people that terrify him, but maybe nobody else will pay for his upkeep.  Couldn't they ship him off to Vicky's foundling home?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
P Stoddard says to Carolyn, look at me and say that nothing's happening to me... in other words, would I be in this state without an outside force?   It's almost a good argument, but not really.   She could just go on assuming that his distress is something he's causing to himself.   Still, we see a close up of her face, and we see her thought process in her face, as she comes to believe him, for the moment anyway.   It's actually a pretty complicated set of expressions and micro-expressions, as the CIA would say.  (As nutty as I'm sure the CIA can be, one probably valid idea of theirs is that some thoughts can be "read" by these micro-expressions that most people don't consciously notice.  Carolyn's face is full of expression here, and some CIA guy would have a field day probably.)

Carolyn says there's no reason for Paul's bedroom to be his tomb... Paul replies that there is a very good reason... Yes there is!   It might be a family tradition, just ask Greg Trask!

ECS shows up, PS waves dismissively then collapses in a chair.  I suppose it's the "medicine", but we don't know he's taking it yet, and it looks as if ECS has magic knocking-out powers.

Nice restful jarringly electric yellow sheets in Paul's room...

"What made you think, even for a minute, that I wanted you back."  Nice.   You hear important stuff when you play dead.  At least Paul can quit trying to convince Liz that he's not crazy... she knows he isn't!

Paul exits the house via another way than the front door, and we actually see this exit.   Mrs. J on a manhunt!   Stokes happening by:  [spoiler]It'd be nice to think that this is the turning point for Paul, and for a moment I almost made myself believe it, but we know better.   Boo Elliot.  Sheriff Davenport... you really ought to listen to PS, for your own sake...[/spoiler]

It's illegal to force PS to take a sedative and go to Collinwood.  Even legally declaring him incompetent wouldn't result in his ending up back there.   Not that I'm naive enough to believe that this sort of thing doesn't happen, even when the town rich lady isn't involved.   When everyone with power is convinced they're right, rules matter somewhat less.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
The cop (who we later learn is named Davenport) seems to be a deputy at this point.  For one thing, he has pulled a night shift, but a better reason is that less than 2 days before, Roger phoned the station to report his son missing and asked for Sheriff Patterson.  Anyway, the actor is the late Ed Riley, who also provided the voice that told Julia to go away when she visited Harrison Monroe in the cliffhanger version.  In KLS' "Scrapbook Memories," the cast list for HoDS lists Riley as playing Seth (the deputy Todd ran into while buying cigarettes that told him about a 2nd attack), but that's not right, is it?

Liz to Carolyn:  "If I hadn't come back for your great grandmother's sugar bowl."
From your Great Grandma Laura's silver tea set, AKA your Aunt Laura's silver tea set.  [smlyb]

P Stoddard says to Carolyn, look at me and say that nothing's happening to me... in other words, would I be in this state without an outside force?   It's almost a good argument, but not really.   She could just go on assuming that his distress is something he's causing to himself.   Still, we see a close up of her face, and we see her thought process in her face, as she comes to believe him, for the moment anyway.
Paul said, "Carolyn, you saw me when I came into this house; you came in with me. Now please look at me and tell me no one's doing anything to me."  I think what he meant was that he went from hale and hearty to weak and sickly in that short time-- his deterioration occurring entirely during his presence at Collinwood being an indication that he's being deleteriously drugged.  Sedation is supposed to reduce anxiety, so there was no denying that he had a point.

ECS shows up, PS waves dismissively then collapses in a chair.  I suppose it's the "medicine", but we don't know he's taking it yet, and it looks as if ECS has magic knocking-out powers.
We do, because the ep begins with Carolyn questioning if keeping her father sedated all the time is the best course.

It's illegal to force PS to take a sedative and go to Collinwood.  Even legally declaring him incompetent wouldn't result in his ending up back there.   Not that I'm naive enough to believe that this sort of thing doesn't happen, even when the town rich lady isn't involved.   When everyone with power is convinced they're right, rules matter somewhat less.
Well said, Magnus.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:18:53 AM »
Thanks Midnite.

If the early ref to drugging's all I missed that episode, I was doing pretty well.  Thanks for the correction... sometimes events in future ep's don't make sense if you don't get earlier ones straight.

I considered puzzling out whose sugar bowl that was myself, but my head wanted me to be kind to it that day...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
ECS, feels so good when she does this to her husband. This is sure a good way to get
him. This is so bad.  I wonder if this brings her any satisfaction?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate