Author Topic: Big Lou and Mighty Mitch, vintage '66  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Big Lou and Mighty Mitch, vintage '66
« on: April 04, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »
Fans,

Yesterday, I revisited the DVD Talk review of DS The Beginning collection III to help out a friend who's hoping to rent some Laura Collins episodes soon on his new Netflix account.  (From what I can determine, the third set ends before the introduction of Laura Collins in December of '66.)  Despite the hyperbolic language, I enjoyed the writer's description of our own beloved Big Lou, Louis Edmonds, and Mitchell Ryan in these classic shows.  A couple of corrections:  Louis WASN'T closeted (read the excellent biography of him, Big Lou, by the late, much lamented Craig Hamrick, to get more details about how blisteringly honest Mr. Edmonds was about his sexuality and every other aspect of his life), and however fey Roger's wardrobe may have occasionally seemed to the eye of a 2008 viewer, he was NEVER in drag.  (I sometimes think that Roger's PT 1970 counterpart occasionally sported invisible drag--but that's another story for another time).

The passage:

[...]episodes 71 to 105 truly belong to two people. The first is Big Lou - Louis Edmonds. A closeted homosexual in the days when being gay meant possible physical harm (not to mention industry blackballing), his Roger Collins is nothing more than a drag version of a spoiled rotten dandy. With a voice so clipped he could cut glass, and a mannerism so foppish he practically channels Oscar Wilde, Edmonds owns this storyline - and with good reason. Roger is the center of all the intrigue. He's the supposedly guilty party Burke is trying to blame. He's the source of young son David's ongoing homicidal streak. He uses Victoria as an alibi and then turns around and threatens her. And he pitches one mean hissy. Indeed, Edmonds makes many of these early installments, saving us from otherwise drab line readings and strained New York stage acting. The other creative catalyst is Mitchell Ryan. As the conniving and scheming Devlin, he does everything except chew the scenery - and that's only because Big Lou leaves very little backdrop behind when he finishes with a performance. Ryan is the manlier yin to Edmonds yang, and together they create an engaging cat and mouse.  (end)

The other thing that I would add is that as far as I'm concerned, all the members of the regular cast did stellar work in this part of the story.  I would particularly mention Joan Bennett who has some of her best scenes, and Alexandra Moltke who gets to play a much more knowing, thoughtful Vicki than we get to see later on.

Have a nice weekend, fans!

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Big Lou and Mighty Mitch, vintage '66
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »
The presumptions that some of these writers all too often make about DS and its actors can be quite amazing - especially when the correct info is most often available to anyone who might do even a modicum of actual research that would take but a few minutes. But then, as I often lament, why check facts when your own presumptions will suffice just fine?  ::)  The days when all writers were conscientious about their work is long since gone. I mean, just look at the scandals that have plagued newspapers even as prestigious as the NY Times...

and Alexandra Moltke who gets to play a much more knowing, thoughtful Vicki than we get to see later on.

What happens to Vicki once Art Wallace departs the scene is really quite sad...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Indeed many writers equate an actor not willing to talk about his love life or personal history as being "closeted" when they simply are private about all personal aspects of his or her life to the public.  There is a difference. 

A couple of corrections:  Louis WASN'T closeted (read the excellent biography of him, Big Lou, by the late, much lamented Craig Hamrick, to get more details about how blisteringly honest Mr. Edmonds was about his sexuality and every other aspect of his life)

David

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
About 10 years ago, Louis told me that he was indeed semi-closeted during the DS days.
He was more out during All My Children, and came out fully with Craig's superb book (God, I miss Craig Hamrick. What a great guy he was!!!!)

David

(edited by admin)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
seems his gaity added to the "spoiled child" roger must have been.   

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
however fey Roger's wardrobe may have occasionally seemed to the eye of a 2008 viewer, he was NEVER in drag.  (I sometimes think that Roger's PT 1970 counterpart occasionally sported invisible drag--but that's another story for another time).

Both Rogers often get lampooned for their penchant for ascots (especially PTRoger) - but perhaps they were simply ahead of their times (both Real and Parallel), as this Style page from the current issue of Entertainment Weekly might prove: Kiss My Ascot. Or perhaps it's a fashion trend that today's men are picking up from watching the good ole Rogs on DVD.  [b003]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:43:35 AM »
GAG! None of them are pulling it off the way Roger(s) did!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia