Author Topic: David's fears  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
David's fears
« on: January 23, 2002, 02:27:54 AM »
Originally posted by Josette on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 22, 2002 at 20:27:54:

I really can't figure out why David is so afraid of Barnabas and apparently so suspicious. He's seen the secret room and the empty coffin and Sarah mysteriously hinted that it wasn't always empty, which he doesn't seem to believe. There's nothing about that to associate it with Barnabas. Barnabas and Willie then reveal that they know about the room, but that's still no reason to assume that he was the one that had been in the coffin. It doesn't seem that David would be likely to believe that anyway. And, it wouldn't prove that it was Barnabas and not Willie, but he seems so certain that Willie wasn't the one who kidnaped Maggie.

I assume it was mostly Barnabas' manner when he found David that frightened him, plus his suspicions about the lie that no one was at Collinwood so they had to go to the Old House. Unless it's the "spell" Barnabas is producing when he looks out at him, seemingly sending him evil thoughts. But, in that case, Barnabas is responsible himself for David being suspicious!!

Josette
Josette

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: David's fears
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 07:47:13 PM »
Posted by MrsJ on January 23, 2002 at 13:47:13:
In Reply to: David's fears posted by Josette on January 22, 2002 at 20:27:54:

I really can't figure out why David is so afraid of Barnabas and apparently so suspicious.

Coming from one who works with children on a daily basis...I'd have to say (IMO) the reason is because kids are *extremely* perceptive. They are very keen at reading body language, facial expressions, etc. They trust their instincts much more than adults do, and are generally harder to fool.

The argument that there is no logical reason for David to be fearful or suspicious is quite valid...enough to fool the adults who are preoccupied with other matters, but not dear David! This is one of the many circumstances in which David proves he's got more sense than the rest of the adults put together, lol.

MrsJ.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Absolutely
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 12:14:51 AM »
Posted by kuanyin on January 23, 2002 at 18:14:51:
In Reply to: David's fears posted by Josette on January 22, 2002 at 20:27:54:

It was definately Barney's own fault that David grew suspicious. He was pretty scary to him, and yet will continue to "blame" David and or Sarah. I think David is also perceiving the "spell" or just the negative vibes that Barney is sending out to him.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »
You all got a point about Barnabas making David suspicious.

[spoiler]Barnabas found David's knife in the secret room, proving the boy was there, but it does NOT prove that David knew Barnabas' secret although to Barnabas it did. And I totally agree Barnabas' whole manner with David when he caught the boy in his arms was totally menacing, and would continue to be from that moment on (up until after 1795 that is). David was merely puzzled that Barnabas had known about the secret room but Barnabas' sinister behavior more than anything else started making him believe that Barnabas wasn't quite the charming cousin he made himself out to be.

Barnabas seemed all too eager to want to kill David when he really didn't know for sure David knew all about him. Despite his telling himself that Sarah would never tell anyone about him, you knew he didn't really believe that.  He loved Sarah but unfortunately he didn't have quite enough faith in her to believe she would never expose him.[/spoiler]

Another example of him letting his paranoia overrule his common sense.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:21:06 PM »
Another example of him letting his paranoia overrule his common sense.

You've definitely got that right!  [santa_wink]