Author Topic: DS Fest Burbank  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS Fest Burbank
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »
I'm finally thinking about flying from Florida to CA for the fest in July, but I can't find special room rates for the Fest at the Marriott.  I CAN get a great flight on Delta for less than $1000, which is my primary concern, but I'd rather not pay $200 a night for a room.  Are there special rates for the Fest that I don't know about, and a code or other wording to get special rates?  Thanks for any thoughts/info.  Brian

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS Fest Burbank
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »
Unfortunately, Brian, the Marriott may already be sold out of discounted Fest rooms because ShadowGram warned a sellout was immanent back in March.  [ghost_sad]  However, SG also provided info for the overflow hotels:

Number 182.   March 2, 2008.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

It is expected that the Marriott soon will sell out of sleeping rooms. These nearby hotels should have rooms available:
Ramada Burbank (www.ramadaburbank.com) 818-843-5955.
Extended Stay America (www.extendedstayamerica.com) 818-567-0952.
Quality Inn Burbank (www.qualityinn.com) 818-848-1680.

You may want to try to contact one of them.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:12:16 AM »
Brian
Did I hear you say you were flying out from Florida? Did you know that Orlando has one of the most active and largest Dark Shadows Fan Clubs in the East Coast???? Check out our website http://www.cfdsfanclub.com/
We have several members attending this year and you may be able to find a roomate.
Our next meeting is June 28.  send me a message if you would like more information.

LdyAnne

Offline mspeel007

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 05:55:06 AM »
If your interested, I don't need my reservation anymore- I'm staying with a friend! I believe the rate is $129.00 a night plus tax.....let me know!!!!! [cheesyb]
And in the end...the love you take..is equal to the love you make.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:02:01 AM »
We have several members attending this year and you may be able to find a roomate.
Our next meeting is June 28.
Hey LdyAnne..nice to hear from you.  I think we met some years ago at a CFL DS meeting.  Anyway, at my age (okay, 51!)--and with all due respect to everyone--I don't do roomates anymore.  Been single and lived alone for too many years to go back to the college thing.  LOL.  But maybe I'll spend the extra bucks and come to the fest anyway.  Still debating.
Brian

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
Hey LdyAnne..nice to hear from you.  I think we met some years ago at a CFL DS meeting.  Anyway, at my age (okay, 51!)--and with all due respect to everyone--I don't do roomates anymore.

I hear you, but being in the same age group 50 something myself I sill like the roommate thing. To each his own.
Be sure and say hi to me at the fest

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:45:56 AM »
I can see not rooming with total strangers... I am fortunate to have made some trusted friends with whom to share, because in addition to their companionship, things are getting very pricey, and this has helped those of us who couldn't afford the trip otherwise.

That much being said, whether going solo or not, one more  thing to try is to work whatever you have in the way of "miles" credit cards, hotel membership cards (like Marriott and Ramada, which you can sign up for online), AAA membership cards, the better travel websites.  For example, I found it was about $75 cheaper to fly from Providence to LAX and catch the Super shuttle to Burbank, than going directly to the Burbank airport from either Providence or Hartford, my nearest airports.  Also it's cheaper to get either an extremely early or  late  flight, at least on one half of your round trip, preferably with a stop or two on the way.

Also, how willing are you to rent a car or take a taxi from a less expensive hotel to the convention every day?  These are the kinds of things that you'll need to consider.

Hope to meet you there.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:56:13 AM »
You should still be able to get a room at the $129.00 rate by mentioning Dark Shadows.  This particular Marriott doles out blocks of rooms in smaller increments at a time so if you hear "sold out" that doesn't necessarily mean more rooms can't be set aside.  Jim Pierson calls the hotel to get more rooms when he knows people are being told no more.  Of course, eventually there will be no more rooms . .

I agree with you about roommates.  I prefer my own room or share with one other person though occasionally I will have more than one roommate.  Four women and one bathroom has the potential to wind up like the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan It's just plain ugly. [ghost_mad]

Nancy

at my age (okay, 51!)--and with all due respect to everyone--I don't do roomates anymore.  Been single and lived alone for too many years to go back to the college thing.  LOL.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:25:50 AM »
Four women and one bathroom has the potential to wind up like the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan It's just plain ugly. [ghost_mad]

LOL...same with four men (which I haven't done in 25 years--share rooms, that is) but worse with only two gay men...we boys--me included--have to have the mirror time in bathroom to get ready.  ;)
Brian

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
Brian, if you don't already have a frequent flier account, make sure you get one before you make your trip.  Delta's is one of the better ones and there are several perks to it.  It won't help you much on your initial trip but it will later on.  A free trip is not to be sneezed at.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:44:01 PM »
The MercuryNews.com Web site recently posted an announcement for the Fest: BARNABAS IS BACK
(Scroll down to the third article)

It's nice to see sites other than those devoted to DS/horror promoting the Fest.  [thumb]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 04:59:12 AM »
That link doesn't work for me, MB, I get an error stating "Firefox can't find the server at secure.www.dsboards.com."
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »
At around 8:30 ET/5:30 PT Midnite mentioned to me that she was having problems too, but everything seems to be fine now.  [ghost_smiley]  However, that error from firefox is very odd because there's no such server as secure.www.dsboards.com.  [hdscrt]  I have no idea where firefox would be getting it from. It certainly has nothing to do with the URL to the MercuryNews.com Web site.  :-\

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 05:38:49 AM »
If you still can't get it, it's also here:  http://www.mercurynews.com/steveyvaska

Once Mr. Yvaska updates the column, look for the archived article under the heading "Yvaska: Kitchens..."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
Interesting - Midnite's link brings up a totally different page on their site than my link. It's the same column, but almost everything else about the page is different - including the formatting of the column...

It also appears that if you don't go in via Midnite's or my link, you need to register with the site to read the column...