Author Topic: Remembering the World Trade Center  (Read 2285 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Remembering the World Trade Center
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 09:50:30 PM »
That Fest was my first big Fest as well as my first real trip to NYC. I too remember John Karlen seated less than two tables away in the Marriott dining room, the huge lobby and fountain outside and standing in the courtyard and getting dizzy looking up. Our hotel room was right next the the glass walkway that stretched between the Towers and I have pictures of my Aunt standing in front of the windows with the walkway dominating the background. We actually still have the room key from our hotel room. My Mom mistakenly brought it home.

I think you're right in saying that those of us that were there for the Fest share a little something. We all have fond memories of that weekend at the WTC. It's horrifying to think that while we were there there was someone out there plotting such terrible things with those buildings as the target.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 12:16:43 AM »
That was also my first official fest. I think I have the strongest memories of that one. I have have kept my hotel receipt for some reason. It was such an exciting visit for me. I met so many new friends,volunteered that year and it was a special time.
PS- Bob you still have not bought me that beer and it has been 5 years. What gives!!  ;)
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 01:11:12 AM »
I was at the 99 Fest at WTC, and just by having been there, the whole tragedy was more personal to me. That fest was a month before DREAMS OF THE DARK came out, and in a lot of ways, I had the time of my life there. I got to meet many of the stars for the first time and lots of the fans with whom I'd become familiar.

Was also at the Halloween gathering in 2001, just over a month after 9/11. Several of the stars went down to ground zero to pay their own respects. Beth Massie and I had a table right across from Chris Pennock, and he and Jim Storm and I sat together for probably 45 minutes or so talking about WTC, DS, and life in general. It was one of those moments when there were no stars, no fans, nothing but people sharing their own personal feelings. I'll remember that forever.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 05:00:03 AM »
I almost didn't go to the 2001 Fest, but decided to at the last minute, like the Saturday of the event. I drove up from VA and vividly recall making that turn to the right on the NJ Turnpike where the towers came into view. I got lost coming out of the Holland Tunnel and called the hotel and a nice lady stayed on the phone with me until I pulled right in front of the hotel. MUCH to my dismay I found out that the Fest was booked to capacity and they wouldn't let me in, they said try again first thing Sunday morning before they had a chance to sell out. Fortunately, I'd gone to KLS's table and purchased her book, where I left my wallet. Ben Martin, her ex, called me in my room, and when I came down to get it, I told him my story, he pulled some strings and got me in. Thanks again, Ben!

I'm so glad that I made that trip and was able to be there. I'm very grateful that this fandom got me there. It was a very special trip that even more special now and seems like yesterday.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 06:09:49 AM »
Thank you SO much for posting the photos, MB.  I would give anything to be able to recover the topic from that old Forum, too.  I remember it was Gerard who first spoke, saying he was relieved that the Fest was 3 weeks earlier and so his DS friends were spared.  <sigh>

To help with ids, GingerCat and Happybat are standing between Vlad and Bobubas in Reply #8.  They're also in the picture in Reply #9, and that's Sheilamarch standing over casper_collins and holding his braids.  (Red pants... WHAT was I thinking?!)

In #10, that's Sally in front, though Nicky calls her Mom.  That was taken in the bakery/restaurant in the Concourse.  :(

In #11, that bottom photo was taken by John_in_SC from the gym of the WTC Marriott.

Sheilamarch took the photos in Reply #13 of casper_collins on the Brooklyn Bridge.  That might be her artwork in Reply #8.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »
(Red pants... WHAT was I thinking?!)

That you had to bring enough different articles of clothing to try to change as often as Nicky does, which, if I remember correctly, was something like three times a day that year.  ;)  If a few of your choices seem a bit off in retrospect, well, just chalk it up to the insanity that is just trying to keep up with Nicky.  ;D

And thanks for filling in the gaps in my memory for several of the pics. I realized that was Nicky's mom after I posted the pic, but I still had no clue those two ladies were HappyBat and GingerCat or that the other lady was Sheilamarch.  :-[  But I'm thinking I must have been in midtown when you were hanging out with them on that Saturday and I guess I never ran into them on Sunday.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 01:40:29 PM »
Sheilamarch took the photos in Reply #13 of casper_collins on the Brooklyn Bridge.  That might be her artwork in Reply #8.
Thanks for the further information on the photos, etc. Midnite.  I was just about to post something about the painting of the Brooklyn bridge in the snow with the towers in the background.  I definately remember being amazed by that gorgeous art work when she posted it five years ago. I think of it from time to time to this day.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »
My first encounter with the Vista and the whole World Trade Center area came when I stayed at the hotel the night prior to the ' Dark Shadows Day in Tarrytown' back in June of 1992.  I'd attended my first Festival the summer before in Los Angeles, and this was my first trip to NYC. I remember being in awe of the towers.

In later years, when the Festivals were in New York, it would become a tradition for a group of us to arrive early and see a Broadway show or two before the Festivals. There was a 1/2 price ticket kiosk located in building II that opened several hours earlier then the one in Midtown, (Duffy Square), and part of the tradition would be that I'd take the PATH train in the morning from New Jersey to the World Trade Center to wait in line to pick up our tickets for whatever show(s) we were hoping to see on that particular day.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 04:29:58 PM »
That you had to bring enough different articles of clothing to try to change as often as Nicky does, which, if I remember correctly, was something like three times a day that year.  ;)  If a few of your choices seem a bit off in retrospect, well, just chalk it up to the insanity that is just trying to keep up with Nicky.  ;D

LOL  OMG, Nicky's gorgeous shirts!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
Can't help echoing how hard it is to believe that those stunning photos were taken five years ago.  I came to that fest knowing only a few of the VantageNet members via postings, but I left knowing I had made many wonderful friends.  You all made me feel so welcome, and I so enjoyed being surrounded by your laughter and craziness.

It was my first time meeting Nicky, and I had a hard time keeping track of him because of his ever-changing wardrobe.  He must have reserved a second hotel room just for his steamer trunks!

The photos and posts bring back a flood of random memories.  Strolling the lower-level plaza shops . . . beautiful hotel rooms that were jumbo-sized by Manhattan standards (and whatever discount price we were paying was a steal) . . . hanging out in the Tall Ships bar/restaurant . . . hanging out in the Marriott hotel lobby . . . the impressive views of the surrounding buildings from my hotel room and the Hudson River from the fitness center . . . grabbing breakfast at the Krispy Kreme on the WTC plaza with Midnite and other VantageNet friends . . . waiting in line to meet KLS at her table . . . all priceless memories.

The Marriott WTC was truly a glamorous setting for our Fest.  Little did we know that we were fast approaching the end of an era.

Ben

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 02:24:55 AM »
Every time we get together Criseyd, CynbD, Louceea and I take a picture lined up, in the same pose. Sometimes only three of us are there, last winter only two of us...

We  started doing that at the WTC Marriot, and up til this year those pictures were the only ones that had all of us in them.

I have a room key card too, and a receipt for a sandwich and juice I ran down to the lower mall area to grab for CynD, who was at her dealer's table.

I have some other *stuff* too, but let's not discuss that.

The lobby there had the best people watching....

I'd forgotten about that picture with Nicky....and I don't have a copy, can you send Midnite or MB?
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 04:31:19 AM »
I'd forgotten about that picture with Nicky....and I don't have a copy, can you send Midnite or MB?

Just click on the link under the photo to download a copy.  :)