Author Topic: Favorite Dark Shadows storyline  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Favorite Dark Shadows storyline
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:44:22 PM »
What is your favorite Dark Shadows storyline? Mine is the one that had Amy, David and Quentin in it.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Dark Shadows storyline
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:24:17 PM »
The early Barnabas/Maggie period...also 1970PT

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 06:37:45 AM »
The First story line or pre-Barnabas Victoria Winters arrival to Collinwood is one favorite along with the flashback to 1795. [Candle] as well as 1897 meeting Quentin Storyline [gramophone]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »
The 1795 flashback hooked me. :)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 02:37:12 AM »
I'd have to say the early Barnabas episodes up until 1795 is my favorite time of the show. [spoiler]With Maggie's abduction and escape, Jason McGuire meeting his end, the Barnabas/Victoria/Burke triangle, the introduction of Julia and the mystery of Sarah, there's just a lot going on.[/spoiler] And I like the formula of having Barnabas the vampire with all of these other 'normal' people. Watching them trying to figure out what was going on was amusing...

I also love 1795 for the most part, although I wish Barnabas/Josette got more development as a couple before Angelique started working her magic, and I didn't care much for the whole Nathan/Milicent subplot. The time would've been better spent elsewhere to me.

I have to say 1897 is a great time, and I can see why DS achieved its highest ratings during that storyline.  In general, I'm not fond of all the time travel, but the storylines and characters were a lot of fun. I was probably on the edge of my seat during 1897 more than any other part of the show that I've seen.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 08:02:13 AM »
I'm with you, Amy Jennings Fan... the Quentin/Beth/Chris/David/Amy storyline is my favorite, though in essence, it only lasted 3 months (November 1968 through February 1969, then it was onto the 1897 story).
It was special because it gave Barnabas and Julia more dimension by taking them outside their own bubble (Barnabas' empathy for Chris, Julia's willingness to help despite her well-founded misgivings). Also gave us a reprieve from Angelique's machinations, offered meaty moments to David, Joe, Elizabeth, Maggie, and even Mrs. Johnson, all of whom were often underused in the Adam storyline.
And of course, it brought back the comely Don Briscoe, and injected new... er... blood, as it were, into the show with fresh characters. Yes, we were scared of Quentin, but as we'd discovered after Barnabas' introduction, we liked the ghouls to stick around so we could get to know and love them better.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 09:25:55 AM »
My favorite has always been the 1795 story of Barnabas' beginnings but I'm enjoying the episodes leading up to the release of Barnabas and his evil ways.  I feel very sorry for Maggie and her Pop, including all her friends but most of all the acting and storyline is great.  I've posted some screen captures in the Caption This! section if anyone wants to add their captions. Tottles.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 11:14:18 PM »
   My favorite storyline, its hard to say just one with DS and that's part of the charm of the show. My first reaction is with many of you in the "Quentin's Ghost  [gramophone] and the Werewolf"   [Wolfie] storyline. One big reason is like many of you I was watching this when I was roughly David's age on the show, and the David/Amy realtionship was one I could relate to. I also loved Collinwood itself as a character on the show and it was never more mysterious than during Quentin's ghost. I wanted to play there with those two so much. This story was also featured on some of the "Green series" original gum cards.
   After that I love 1897 up until the mind switch which gets a little long, 1840 most especially during the Judah's head story, the Leviathans (yes, some people don't hate this one, its pretty good Lovecraft) but I have to admit whenever I try to explain why I love the show and what its about, I usually end up discussing the 1795 story, which I think all things considered, is the definitve story. While it has some flaws, (neither Jeremiah nor Peter Bradford look authentic to 1795 although Joshua, Abigail and Ben do, and does Nathan only have that one navy dress suit?), it has the heart of the show, the romantic triangle of Angelique/Barnabas/Josette, with more straightforward supernatural themes (witchcraft, vampirism rather than reanimated life [frankie] ,parallel lives, life force switcing, etc. which are cool, but more complex). I think the characters were wonderfully written and acted from the way Barnabas and Joshua played off each other, Millicent's story, and the great friendship of Barnabas and Ben. The conflict with Trask, while not really accurate to the 1790s, still makes for a great nemesis for Barnabas.
So like I said, hard to choose one, but if I had to Quentin's Ghost # 1,  followed by 1897 & 1795.  [blackbat]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline adrianwolfblood

• Willing love slave of Angelique forever
    • View Profile
    • My Graphics
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:05:54 AM »
New to the board, but been a fan since 1990. I was fond of all the storylines from when Barnabas emerged from his chained coffin, but when Angelique first appeared, 1795 takes the top spot of my favorites. She became and still is my number one favorite character. Lots of my graphic wallpaper and music videos I created are on her and those beautiful eyes.

If I had to choose another favorite, it would have to be when Nicholas Blair firs appeared. What a ham. Really liked the storyline with his arrival

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 04:23:09 AM »
New to the board

Welcome! I love your avatar (and the graphic on the opening page of your Yahoo group). You're quite talented.  [thumb]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 05:06:54 AM »

I also really liked the Barnabas graphic on your Yahoo group page. Very cool.

My favorite storyline is the Intro of  Barnabas in 1967,  but I love 'em all.

~Penny Dreadful~   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 05:42:31 AM »
Welcome adrianwolfblood to this group.  I wanted to share some more of Adrian's creations with you all.  I almost forgot it was there, but I have been hosting one of his great DS fan vids at http://victoriawinters.net/dvdset11/adrianwolfblood.htm.  Also, Adrianwolfblood has a folder of his other DS art work at http://groups.msn.com/THEDARKSHADOWSFILES/adams.msnw.  I hope you will all take a look at his wonderful work.

My favorite storyline still remains 1795.  For me, it ends without too many unresolved plot lines.  It also gives us great insight to Barnabas' character.  I believe this insight serves to wed him to the Dark Shadows canvas to a point where he becomes the central character over and above everyone else.  He is neither evil or good.  An anti-hero.

luv,

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 06:28:20 AM »
Like others, I have a hard time singling out any one storyline, since every one of them has something very good and special about it.

1795 is wonderful as a tragedy, perhaps the most emotionally true and moving storyline in the series (especially Joshua, Barnabas, and Ben).

The introduction of Barnabas is the best vampire story since "Dracula."

Quentin's ghost and the Amy and David storyline with the old telephone is absolutely chilling.

Early 1897 is intriguing, especially the part about the child's coffin, the pentagram, etc.

I love the ancient book, the antique store, and Angelique on Little Windward Island in Leviathan.

My favorite storyline in terms of mystery and complexity as they unravel is the 1840 storyline, which actually begins with the summer of 1970 and forwards to 1995, which set up 1840's mysteries.  Absolutely love the whole bit about Rose Cottage, Flora and Desmond's house, and Gerard/Judah Zachary.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 07:07:13 AM »
Very nice work, adrianwolfblood!  :)

In addition to what others have mentioned, one of my absolute favorites is 1995!  [spoiler]Not just because there are plenty of Barnabas and Julia moments ;), but because we got to see what Collinwood and a few of its inhabitants would've been like in the future, had certain events unfolded without intervention... Nancy Barrett's and David Selby's performances were wonderful, and to see the grand mansion in such a disarray was a treat. ;)  You felt as if you, the viewer, were going on a detective hunt along with B&J, searching for clues as to what happened to the cursed estate.  Not to mention the fact that the dear Dr. Hoffman trudged on valiantly despite near-possession, disheveled locks, and one infamous green tweed suit  :D   :-*[/spoiler]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 08:02:52 AM »
hard to pick just one 1897,present chris/amy Quentin ghost and 1795 are all my favorites

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV