Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0851  (Read 1034 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0851
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Robservations #851

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0851

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
Some big changes in this ep., following yet another VO by Roger Davis (who did them pretty well, as I remember).

Amanda's lookalike at the train station is played by Amy Yaekerson in her only appearance anywhere, as far as I can tell. She asks if Quentin is all right. I made a terrible mistake, he says, utterly devastated.

Petofi visits Charles in his trashed studio and is furious that Charles stole Quentin's portrait, although neither of them yet realizes that Amanda has left Collinsport. His punishment is swift and brutal.

Tim visits Quentin and shows him Amanda's farewell letter, plus the brooch she left Tim. Quentin tells Tim that Amanda is gone. Without you? Tim asks nastily, perversely delighted. Oh, she up and left without her Quentin, he chortles. That’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time! Quentin is not delighted at all. She left without me, but I will find her, he declares, and you are going to help me. Tim retorts, Oh no I am not. The only future she has with you is death! He starts to leave, but Quentin wraps a long forearm around his neck and tells him, Mr. Shaw, you're going to tell me everything you know about Amanda Harris or, I swear, you won't get out of this house alive.

Start talking, Quentin orders. How can I? Tim squeaks, and Quentin lets him go. Actually, he more or less flings Tim across the room. Tim falls against the banister of the Great Staircase, nearly taking it with him. We met in New York, he tells Quentin. I don’t know much about her. She stayed at the Hotel Holbrooke in New York. She never got messages or mail. No one came to see her. She had no outstanding habits or interesting generalities. You will have a difficult time finding her. I’m going to get the next New York train and find her, Quentin declares. Tim says, If you love her, you will leave her alone. Get out of here! Quentin shouts. I’m not going to let you destroy her! Tim shouts back. They start fighting. Quentin picks Tim up and throws him out bodily--

--Just in time for Angelique to ask from the top of the Great Staircase, Why were you being so harsh with Mr. Shaw? Tim was interfering with some of my plans, Quentin replies evasively. But he should know better than to try evading Angelique, who wants him to set a date for their wedding. He says that inspired by Tim's success, he wants to go to Boston on business. I’ve seen Tim’s success, Quentin says. I feel ashamed I haven’t done more with my life. Oh, I don’t know whether I like this new and more serious Quentin, Angelique comments--but I’m going to marry him anyway--when? Eager to leave, Quentin again suggests they pick a date after he gets back. Complications may keep me in Boston longer than I expect, he explains. I would hate to pick a date, then miss the wedding, you know. Yes, I wouldn’t like that either, Angelique replies with an unpleasant smile. I have to pack now, he says. Angelique offers to help, but he says very unwisely, I can do without you. Yes, perhaps you can, but don’t decide to try, Angelique says as he finally escapes upstairs.

Angelique is still wondering what's going on when Petofi arrives. She doesn't want to talk to him, but he says that at last they have a common cause.

Sometime later, Quentin comes downstairs, carrying his carpetbag. Petofi is waiting for him. Quentin says defiantly that he's going to New York ant that Petofi can't stop him. But Petofi only laughs, saying that wherever Quentin goes, Petofi will be there. He shows Quentin out of his own house, laughing heartily.

Tim Shaw is sitting at a table in his room at the Collins Port Inn, staring down at Amanda’s note and the brooch, when Petofi knocks at the door. I have just seen our friend Mr. Tate, Petofi says, and I’ve found out quite a few things. What? Tim asks without much interest. I learned that your pretty companion has fallen in love with Quentin, Petofi replies, clapping a supposedly sympathetic hand on Tim’s shoulder. May I offer my condolences to you--they plan on going away together. He reads Amanda’s note. What happened at Tate’s studio? Tim asks. I find it curious that Amanda seeks her reality. Did Tate drew a person for you? Tim asks. Yes, he did, the count replies as he picks up the brooch and holds it up to the light, admiring it. Recalling Amanda’s reaction when he gave her the brooch, Tim says, Amanda likes surprises. One day Quentin will give Amanda the last surprise of her life. You’re really concerned, the count observes, so I’ll put the situation to rights. Could you bring her back? Tim asks. I said I would do what must be done, the count answers. That must content you for the moment. But since you’ve been so patient, now I will tell you what happened at my meeting with Charles. Tim smiles with greedy anticipation, but the smile disappears when the count says, Nothing happened: I tested him, and he failed miserably. He drew a very beautiful lady, but she failed to achieve the... dimension of Amanda Harris, the count ends with a laugh. But I saw the man he created come to life, Tim protests in confusion. Petofi answers, You saw what you wanted to see. It is a curious phenomenon, Mr. Shaw. Hungry men dream of food. When a man has been hungry long enough, he begins to imagine that he sees food even when he is awake. Mr. Shaw, you have dreamed of wealth and power for a long, long time!  Do you think I just imagined this whole thing? Tim asks, slamming his hands on the table in frustration and anger. What else am I to think? the count replies, patting him on the shoulder. Don't be bitter. I assure you that there are still ways in which we can be of use to one another. Good night, Mr. Shaw. The count leaves. Defeated, Tim slumps at the table--where now we see only Amanda’s letter. The count has taken Amanda’s brooch--the real object of his visit.

Quentin is at the station (our fourth and final view of the set!), holding his cape close around his throat to keep warm. The train pulls in, and he is about to board it when a hand touches him on the shoulder. This time the hand belongs to Angelique. This is the New York train, she observes. You told me you were going to Boston. I changed my mind, Quentin says shortly. You’re going to New York to find Amanda Harris, Angelique says (she doesn’t ask). Shocked, Quentin asks, What do you know about her? That you think you’re in love with her, Angelique says. I know that I am! Quentin insists. Isn't that a bit inconvenient when you are going to marry me? Angelique asks. Quentin answers, I tried to care very much for you, Angelique. I really would have gone through with our bargain, really I would have--if I hadn't met Amanda. The way I feel about her ... that only happens to a man once in a lifetime. Don’t bore me with this nonsense, Angelique warns. There isn’t time! You’re right, Quentin agrees--I have a train to catch. I warn you not to, Angelique says bluntly. Quentin turns to face her defiantly: Why not? he says. Are you threatening me? What would you do, kill me? You go right ahead. At least I will die walking away from you! I would never hurt you, Angelique assures him, even if you got on the train. Quentin’s eyes widen as he sees what Angelique has in her hands. She is holding up Amanda’s brooch, ready to thrust the pin into a wax figure. (Lara Parker actually bobbles it, then gets a better grip!) But Miss Harris will not be quite so fortunate, Angelique tells him. Wherever she is now, wherever she is, when I pierce this doll with her brooch, she will die! She will die horribly and painfully. You wouldn’t do that, Quentin gasps, horrified. His mouth dry with fear, he licks his lips. You will make me do it if you get on that train, Angelique answers implacably. You decide, Quentin. Will Amanda Harris live--or die?.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
Petofi gets Q's portrait from CDT.. and takes back his talent, including even his manual dexterity.  Q pumps Tim for information on Amanda.  Ang and Petofi converse again, about what Q's up to, with Thayer looking right at the camera at the end in close up, through his (now) blue spectacles.  Ang spanks Q at the train station.  She threatens to give Amanda the lethal Pillsbury Dough Boy treatment.  End.  I didn't make many notes.

DL, I completely missed the fact that the Count took the brooch/broach (?) and gave it to Angelique.  I was wondering why he went out of his way to visit Tim.  Perhaps Amanda's Tate portrait should make her invulnerable to what Ang is threatening to do?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »
Your query about Amanda's portrait is a very good question, MT. I'm surprised it wasn't an issue in the story line. I would think it SHOULD have made her invulnerable. But I suppose the goal for the week was for Quentin and Amanda to be separated, forcibly, by Angelique.

I missed that about the count's now-blue specs--thanks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »
Sure... and they only continue to ignore the issue of Amanda's portrait and how it should do for her what it does for Quentin.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
So, Amanda has a full-fledged portrait? I thought she was only a sketch?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
Oh yeah, mostly we saw a great big painting of her in a pink dress.  I think there must also have been a million sketches and other paintings, and doodles, some very "unsafe for work".  You'd think with all of that, it would firm up her immortality fairly well....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
This link should take you to the portrait, dom.

[The portrait can be seen halfway down the page.  Links to a webpage that displays the image are preferred over direct links to images (jpegs, etc.) or even image files. --admin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks DL, now that I see it, I remember it.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
Whoops, I thought that I'd posted a sufficiently indirect link. But now everyone gets to see all the frame grabs from this ep.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 09:02:10 PM »
The posted link was to another site's image from one of their image galleries (isolating the jpeg and blocking the ads).  It was changed to a webpage on that site that displays the same image.