Author Topic: DS DVD Collection#13 Selby Interview  (Read 870 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
DS DVD Collection#13 Selby Interview
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »
Not sure what year the interview took place, but Mr. Selby didn't seem sure of his star status. He didn't speak of his fame and glory with the fans, which I have always been curious about. How did he handle the fame and fortune and so on and still maintain a "normal life" with his wife and kids. I've always had the impression that Mr. Selby did his job and got on with his life, but just how in Hell's bells did this man deal with his popularity as "Quentin", one of the most popular celebs on daytime TV, while living a normal life with his loving wife and family? Huh? Met Mr. Selby a number of times at Fests and have always had positive encounters with him, particularly since he is an old car buff like myself. Anyway, just curious.
Input, people!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS DVD Collection#13 Selby Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
I have no useful input, but I must say that the one time I met him, David Selby did seem to be a genuinely phenomenally nice person - which is hard to do even if you don't have legions of adoring fans.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
fame certainly but fortune? not so much.

from what i've come to understand the cast was not wildly overpaid.

david selby and the gang came to fame in a much more innocent and less technologically advanced time. in the pre-internet,pre-blogging,pre-tweeting time...when one's every move and utterance was known around the world instantly...it was probably much easier to maintain a normal life even given the sort of popularity selby achieved at his peak.

the program was taped in new york,and those kids-that-ran-home-from-school parked themselves outside the studio,but otherwise it was probably not hard for him to move about.

and in those days the press in general was much more tight-lipped(much of the cast was apparently homosexual and that was certainly never even suggested). dcp arranged interviews and photo sessions with "tiger beat" and the soap weeklies but otherwise the cast was probably not fodder for much news. we're talking soap stars not the beatles.

still mr. selby does seem like a nice,well adjusted guy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »
This is just by way of a bit of trivia, but it often looked to me like Tiger Beat rehashed a lot of the stuff that had already been published elsewhere. I'm not saying that nothing they printed was gotten through actual interviews and their own photo shoots - but certainly not all of it.

On the other hand, 16 had a very close relationship with DS. Seemingly month after month the DS stars did exclusive photo shoots and/or shared their own personal photos. One time 16 even called out Tiger Beat for misrepresenting that info published in a regular TB DS column came from the DS stars and/or the show. 16 didn't mention TB by name, but their description of the column left no doubt whatsoever as to which magazine/column 16 was referring to.

As for Selby, he has to be one of the nicest and down to earth men around...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
I have to say that at one of the Fests in New York, David Selby and I passed one another in the lobby.  I'm sure he noticed my DS name tag since he nodded at me and smiled as he passed with his entourage(?).  I didn't want to make a spectacle of myself and fall all over the place so I nodded and smiled at him and continued to make my way to the elevator. Very cool!  It's odd but I remember what he was wearing that day too.  He had on a tannish colored corduroy suit with a light blue shirt.   [ChristmaS3]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf