Author Topic: OT--- 19th Century Mourning Exhibition  (Read 1322 times)

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
OT--- 19th Century Mourning Exhibition
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Given that the general death-tinged themes of DS, and the long storylines set in the 19th century, derived from classic horror/gothic works, I thought this link about Victorian-era mourning customs and surviving souvenirs might interest many of you. 

Someone just turned me on to this site--- I could spend hours looking at this stuff. 

http://19thcenturyartofmourning.com/index.htm

Be sure to check out the pictures of the various traveling exhibitions. 

I have often thought a segment on this subject would make an interesting (and educational) addition to the usual Fest presentations, but I don't have much practical knowledge, or the resources for a good collection of antique mourning items.

"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT--- 19th Century Mourning Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
Morbid, but a fascinating look at the social customs of that time.

Two 19th century funerals on DS that come to mind - 1) The one at the Trask chapel (well, this was more of a viewing rather than a funeral per se), but I can't remember whom this was for or even what storyline this was. Trask later accused Quentin of arranging a tryst with a floosie who ended up dead; and 2) The somber funeral of Daphne Harridge in 1841PT, with a Bible passage recited by Lara Parker that she read very depressingly. I tracked down that scriptural passage and it's in my notes somewhere for 1841.

The website referenced above reminded me of a couple of family mementos - one is an engraved invitation to the funeral of my great-grandfather who died young in 1897, and the section about using human hair for memorials reminded me of a pocket watch belonging to my other great grandfather, the chain of which was made from the braided hair of my great-grandmother.

I always felt that the mourning customs and general air of Collinwood during the times of family deaths had a feeling of authenticity.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
The first funeral, which was indeed at the Trask Chapel in 1840, was that of Roxanne Drew.  The ever vengeful Angelique caused Banabas' wounds to reopen a second time and she bled to death.  And Lorna Bell was the "Flossie" you referred to.  Michael Hackett Todd

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »
Thank you, Michael! I had been wracking my brain about this - you would think I would have figured it out since 1840 is possibly my favorite storyline, and I watched it again this past Spring! I had also done a google search on "Trask Chapel" and DS, but didn't come up with the answer then, either.

I found my notes regarding Daphne Harridge Collins' funeral in 1841, with the Bible verses read by Catherine Harridge Collins, which I then googled. Not sure which translation they used since none of those that come up in an Internet search precisely match.

"There are many who say, 'O that we might see some good!
Lift up the light of thy countenance upon us, O LORD!"
Thou hast put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for thou alone, O LORD, makest me dwell in safety."

(Psalm 4:6-8)

As recited by Lara Parker, it sounded like a dirge - though that may have been appropriate given the circumstances.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
I finally stopped by the centuries old cemetery in Holden, Ma last weekend to check out the headstones. The oldest one I saw was 1769. There are sea captains and their wives and children, pastors, regular Joes... I know there are older cemeteries around here, but this one is smack dab in the center of Holden. Been wanting to check it out for ages. This came about when my pal Bone and I were recalling drunken memories of a cemetery called, "Spider Gates" behind the Worcester Airport where all of us as kids used to go to drink and make out. There are some videos on You Tube of this creepy place. We drove around anxiously seeking Spider Gates, but we forgot how to get there and decided to find a likker store instead. When I was living down South, Niki took me to a cemetery in Savannah where the Yanks were camped out during the civil war. These Union soldiers defaced the headstones, having nothing better to do. Cool bit of history.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »
This came about when my pal Bone and I were recalling drunken memories of a cemetery called, "Spider Gates" behind the Worcester Airport where all of us as kids used to go to drink and make out. There are some videos on You Tube of this creepy place. We drove around anxiously seeking Spider Gates, but we forgot how to get there and decided to find a likker store instead.

You mean THIS place?  NOT the liquor store, I mean. [hall2_wink] It's a Quaker Cemetery, with simple stones but a pretty, unusual wrought-iron gate.
http://maineghosthunters.blogspot.com/2008/09/spider-gates-leicester-massachusetts.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bissell/2442241150/
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

David

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
 [hall2_smiley]
The wonderfully creepy film A Haunting in Connecticut touches upon the themes of this thread.

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
I love cemeteries and sometimes wander around them for hours.  I used to make my mom and dad take me to them as a child.  I guess death has never bothered me! And I find reading old head stones very interesting! One wonders about them and what there life & death was like etc.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »
 [hall2_smiley]
Taeylor: thank you for your comment. I have also spent many happy, peaceful hours wandering around old cemeteries~~I especially enjoy them on overcast days!
I've always been a little embarased by this secret hobby, but not anymore!

When in the SF Bay Area, visit the Town of Colma, two towns south of San Francisco~~Colma is Graveyard Central!

David