Author Topic: "...an odd girl,vicki"  (Read 2581 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
"...an odd girl,vicki"
« on: October 16, 2004, 12:59:21 AM »
after vicki returns from 1795 her memories of it are confused but she does believe that she was indeed there.everyone else thinks that's impossible but she perseveres.during brandy and a fireside chat with nicholas roger informs him that vicki is an "odd girl" with a "bizzare and vivid imagination".she "behaves strangely" and indulges in "the most curious of fantasies".
of course "we" know her beliefs to be true but roger does not.wouldn't that make her a mentally disturbed young woman in his view?and why would he allow her to care for his child? ::) ::) ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: "...an odd girl,vicki"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 01:33:16 AM »
Well, it would make her unfit to teach any other child in Collinsport......but considering this is DAVID we're talking about, perhaps Roger thought it would be the educational equivalent of fighting fire with fire....... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 03:34:45 AM »
Your talking about a gal who orders a grilled cheese sandwich at the posh country club like Bangor Hotel 4 star restaraunt.  Yes.....a very odd girl

reference volume 19 DS collectors series circa 1966
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 05:28:00 AM »
Lets chase her around with pitchforks and then tar and feather her. >:(
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 08:37:02 PM »
In order for her to fit in as an employee of the Collins family one would think that it would be necessary for her to have the word "odd" appear somewhere in her resume.  But then she never so much as submitted one or even filled out an application.  She took a job from somebody she had never contacted or even heard of.  That would make her eminently qualified.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 08:48:44 PM »
i had forgotten that vicki had taken the position sight unseen.she was such a trusting girl.
after 1795 i noticed that vicki spends little if any time at all tutoring david.she's so distracted by dream curses and boyfriends from other centuries who has time to do the job one was hired to do.she's sort of just "there" at collinwood.the same thing happens with julia.she was there under the pretense of writing a book but that sort of just gets dropped and she just lives there for no real reason. ::)

i'll have to go back and check out the grilled cheese episode. ::)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 03:08:32 AM »
I'll betchya a box full of Naomi Collins' hidden jewels that Julia used that gaudy pendant to hypnotize Elizabeth into having her stay permanently in Collinwood.  After all, she had some big, comfy digs to live in rent-free with Mrs. Johnson whipping up a pot-full of tea at her request and only had to drive back to Wyndcliffe once every three months to rewrite prescriptions for hoo-hoo meds for the patients.

Gerard

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 01:14:57 AM »
I think Vickie was very brave to take a position so far away, after spending all her life somewhat sheltered in that foundling home , taking only two clues to her ancestry.   I wish Vicky had found what she was looking for.  :- 
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »
after vicki returns from 1795 her memories of it are confused but she does believe that she was indeed there.everyone else thinks that's impossible but she perseveres.during brandy and a fireside chat with nicholas roger informs him that vicki is an "odd girl" with a "bizzare and vivid imagination".she "behaves strangely" and indulges in "the most curious of fantasies".
of course "we" know her beliefs to be true but roger does not.wouldn't that make her a mentally disturbed young woman in his view?and why would he allow her to care for his child? ::) ::) ::)

I tend to think the above says much more about Roger than Vicki.  After all. He seems to have put down the disappearance of Vicki to be replaced by Phyllis Wick, her subsequent reappearance in 18th century attire, rope burns about the neck and an almost healed GSW in her shoulder to some sort of mass hysteria or hallucination.  It couldn't have happened the way Vicki says, so it didn't.  The Scully syndrome about 30 years early. ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »
In order for her to fit in as an employee of the Collins family one would think that it would be necessary for her to have the word "odd" appear somewhere in her resume.  But then she never so much as submitted one or even filled out an application.  She took a job from somebody she had never contacted or even heard of.  That would make her eminently qualified.

To be fair to Vicki though, she was trying to find out about her past.  I mean, she was  raised in a foundling home, her upkeep and education paid for by a mysterious and anonymous benefactor.  Then out of the blue she gets an equally mysterious offer of employment to be companion to a wealthy and reclusive matriarch of a powerful family and governess to a troubled boy.  Frankly, I'd find Vicki a little odd if she hadn't connected the two and taken the job! :)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 05:05:32 PM »
these are all very good points.roger's ability to go into a state of brandy-induced denial is remarkable.but at this period in the show he was under cassandra's spell so maybe that was part of it...to keep him from growing suspsious of her and of the increasingly bizzare atmosphere at collinwood.

and i too wish vicki had found what she was looking for.it's sad that that part of the story gets dropped. :(

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 08:38:14 PM »
and i too wish vicki had found what she was looking for.it's sad that that part of the story gets dropped. :(

Agreed,  I am still working my way through the series for the first time and I do lament that there was never any resolution to Victoria's search for who she is and where she came from. :(

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 08:42:46 PM »
True, Vicki never solved the mystery of her own origins but, she did find one thing she seemed to be looking for - the past - something she finally even became totally absorbed in.  Just not in a way she could have ever imagined when she boarded the train to Collinsport on that dark and stromy night.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 12:56:56 AM »
roger informs him that vicki is an "odd girl" with a "bizzare and vivid imagination".she "behaves strangely" and indulges in "the most curious of fantasies".

Well, Roger never wanted a governess for David. What he wanted was to send the kid to boarding school. He spends a good portion of the first few months of the series alternately terrorizing and complaining about Vicki. Eventually, he mellows out a lot, but her behavior by 1968 is definitely on the wacky side.

He allows her to care for his child because Elizabeth made it crystal clear that the only way he could stay at Collinwood and at the cannery was if David stayed too. Roger spent his inheritance and Liz controls the purse strings.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 02:14:58 AM »
roger's behavior toward vicki when she first came to collinwood was dreadful. ::)

vicki's behavior is really only "wacky" to those outside the know(like roger)."we" see what vicki sees.every ghost she sees,every time-travel-witch-hunted belief she has is,in fact,true.but one thing that they do to vicki and also to maggie is to "surpress" their memories of traumatic events so that as bits and pieces come back to them they appear ditzy and confused. ::)