Author Topic: Daytime TV: Oct 1970 issue  (Read 1064 times)

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
Daytime TV: Oct 1970 issue
« on: October 03, 2004, 03:04:55 PM »
someone posted this at soapoperanetwork. The person got this issue off of ebay and he posted the Top 10 performers and Top 10 programs of Oct 1970. I was so happy to see Dark Shadows well represnted on the charts.

Actor
#1 #1 David Birney (Mark Elliot, Love is a Many Splendored Thing)
#2 #2 Don Stewart (Michael Bauer, The Guiding Light)
#3 #5 Ed Power (Spencer Garrison, Love is a Many Splendored Thing)
#4 #4 George Reinholt (Steve Frame, Another World - Bay City)
#5 #6 Don Hastings (Dr. Bob Hughes, As the World Turns)
#6 #8 David Selby (Quentin Collins, Dark Shadows)
#7 #7 Ed Mallory (Bill Horton, Days of our Lives)
#8 #3 Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins, Dark Shadows)
#9 --- Gene Bua (Bill Prentiss, Love of Life)
#10 #9 David O'Brien (Dr. Steve Aldrich, The Doctors)

Actress
#1 #1 Leslie Charleson (Iris Donnelly, Love is a Many Splendored Thing)
#2 #4 Donna Mills (Laura Donnelly, Love is a Many Splendored Thing)
#3 #3 Jacqueline Courtney (Alice Matthews, Another World - Bay City)
#4 #2 Eileen Fulton (Lisa Hughes, As the World Turns)
#5 #7 Denise Alexander (Susan Martin, Days of our Lives)
#6 #6 Robin Strasser (Rachel Davis, Another World - Bay City)
#7 #9 Lara Parker (Alexis Stokes, Dark Shadows)
#8 --- Maeve McGuire (Nicole Travis, The Edge of Night)
#9 #5 Lynne Adams (Leslie Bauer, The Guiding Light)
#10 --- Ann Flood (Nancy Karr, The Edge of Night)

Program
#1 #3 Another World - Bay City
#2 #1 Love is a Many Splendored Thing
#3 #2 As the World Turns
#4 #4 Dark Shadows
#5 #7 The Edge of Night
#6 #6 Days of our Lives
#7 #5 The Guiding Light
#8 --- The Secret Storm
#9 #8 The Doctors
#10 --- Love of Life

David Birney and Leslie Charleson again win as Best Actor and Best Actress, with Don Stewart again second as Best Actor, and Donna Mills moving up to second place as Best Actress.

Of course, we all know that David and Leslie met while acting on Love is a Many Splendored Thing and that they are now steady-dating.  It must be wonderful for these attractive young people to know that for two consecutive polls in this magazine they have been acclaimed as tops!

Remarkably enough, Donna Mills, who is Leslie's best friend and is on the same series, is now second Best Actress, moving up from last issue's No. 4 position.

Eileen Fulton who's been No. 2 in most of the polls, is No. 4 this time, and Jacqueline Courtney who was 3 and 4 most of the time, finishes in a blaze of glory, No. 3 -- just as she quits the show to settle down in marriage.  (See our story on Jacqueline's romance in this issue.)

Beautiful Denise Alexander, now in the midst of a beautiful romance with actor David Hartman, has been edging her way up in our Top Ten poll.  From No. 6 and 7, she has moved up to No. 5.

Robin Strasser, whose role makes you love and hate her at the same time, continues to be in the Top Ten issue after issue, and Lara Parker also continues among the Top Ten.  Lara will be in the movie version of Dark Shadows when it's released late this summer.  For the first time, Maeve McGuire made our Top Ten, and right there with here are Lynne Adams, a consistent winner, and Ann Flood, who is always in or near the top.  Among the men, Ed Power is making the strongest gains, moving from 5 to 3, and George Reinholt holds on the No. 4, with Don Hastings (No. 5) another who is consistently popular.

David Selby has become the most popular actor on Dark Shadows, passing by Jonathan Frid in our poll, but Jonathan is still among the Top Ten, of course.

Ed Mallory remains among the Top Ten, poll after poll, and Gene Bua (who just returned to Love of Life) quickly moved into our winners' circle.  David O'Brien, the prematurely gray and handsome star of The Doctors, continues to be the only one from his show staying among the winners.

Best Programs
In the poll of Best Programs, Another World - Bay City is the surprise.  It moved from No. 3 to No. 1, displacing Love is a Many Splendored Thing, which had dominated the top spot for two consecutive polls and which had provided the winners for Best Actor and Best Actress, too.

As the World Turns, consistently the daytime serial with the biggest audience (according to the Nielsen ratings), continues high up in our poll, too.  Dark Shadows, which has the largest teen audience of all serials, continues to be ery popular with Daytime TV readers, too.

The Edge of Night, No. 5, has been consistently among the winners of our poll, and Days of our Lives has been holding the No. 6 spot for three polls in a row.  The Secret Storm, out of the winning circle for some time, is No. 8 this time, and The Doctors continues to run 8th or 9th in each poll.  Love of Life, which hadn't scored in the last poll, is No. 10 this time.

-----
It would be interesting to know if any other DS actors ever made the top ten and if DS was ever #1

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: Daytime TV: Oct 1970 issue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
David Birney #1.  What a pain in the ass

;)
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »
I agree Sheenasma!  Like he could hold a candle to our Q-man!!! Ha!  :P

Thanks for posting this DStoDA.  :D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »
If they had a listing from 1969 I bet Dark Shadows would have been number one. With more of the cast on the list too! Also love your avatar castlebee.

Misa

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 01:28:23 AM »
what happened to all those great soaps from the 1960's and 70's?there are so few on today.i guess the daytime t.v. demographic has changed.so few housewives.i would love to see "the secret storm",it had so many d.s. actors.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »
what happened to all those great soaps from the 1960's and 70's?there are so few on today.i guess the daytime t.v. demographic has changed.so few housewives.i would love to see "the secret storm",it had so many d.s. actors.

Me too,  and along with that one I'd love to see The Edge Of Night as well.  They had a few of the DS actors on this show also, namely Joel Crothers & Diana Milay for starters.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"