Author Topic: expecting vic?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
expecting vic?
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »
in watching alexandra moltke's final episodes i could almost swear i could detect the tiniest bit of pregnant tummy bulging through the sleeveless.

if she hadn't opted to leave the show when she did how would they ever have handled a pregnancy for this character?the very topic of pregnancy was still handled delicately at the time.and for a girl who was supposed to be so virtuous?even if she had married jeff a pregnancy would of course meant that she had had sex and that seems so out of character for miss goody-two-shoes.

would they just have tried to hide her "condition"?vicki standing behind sofas?carrying giant pocketbooks?wearing a ridiculous array of blowsy,oversized garments a la diana millay in the first laura collins story?

since so many of her a-lines already looked like maternity dresses could they just ignore it all together and hope no one noticed? ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: expecting vic?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 07:46:52 PM »
I believe that to have continued in some sort of realistic manner on the series "Vickie" must have grown (no pun intended) as a character somehow. I don't see why they couldn't have written her pregnancy in. Peter Bradford seems the most viable solution to that problem. Vickie was a very moral person but I believed she loved Peter. That's an interesting concept - having a child by a person who lived over 100 years before you were born. Hmmm...

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:57:58 PM »
I would've written her off the show and brought her back once she'd had the baby and was ready to return. I don't know...to be honest, I have a thing against babies in my favorite television shows. That's part of the reason why I dislike every day soap operas. I wouldn't have wanted to see a "Victoria is having a baby" storyline. 

I would, however, have loved to see Victoria return to the show and mature as a character and actually receive an interesting storyline.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 11:20:05 PM »
They could have hid her pregnancy behind a couch or bed or something like that.    She probably would have played Rachael Drummund in 1897, who might have lasted the whole of 1897.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 12:14:06 AM »
 Alexandra Moltke actually said she was getting very nervous about a "Rosemary's Baby" scenario developing!  That movie had recently come out at the time, and I can just imagine the gleam in Dan Curtis' eyes when Moltke told him she was pregnant!  If she had stayed on the show, she probably would have become pregnant due to "unnatural causes" >:D  (and I don't mean Jeff Clark)!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 04:45:02 AM »
They hid Di Millay's pregnancy pretty well in '67. If you know to look for it, it becomes clear, but I'd have never known had it not been said.

Had AM stayed, and a storyline been created to "explain" her pregnancy, I think it would have been more difficult to explain her eventual leave of absence to have the baby (than writing the pregancy in).  Just MHO.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 03:04:26 PM »
I surmise, too, that they would've hidden it as long as possible, and then do what they always do to a character when the actor/actress needs to take a break:  ship 'em off to a hospital, including a Hoo-Hoo House, for some strange condition, their names popping up in conversation every once in awhile, until they're brought back in some highly dramatic fashion.  For all the times they sent one of Joan Bennett's characters off to a medical establishment for an extended stay, we should've purchased stock in Kaiser.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:23:26 AM »
gerard makes a good point...perhaps vicki might have been so traumatized by jeff/peter's disappearance into the past that she might have needed a little r & r at wyndcliff.there she'd remain while the rest of the cast proceeded onto the 1897 storyline without her.the timing would have worked out had she wanted to return when the storyline did to the "present"(no need to write in her pregnancy or deal with a reason for her to be in 1897).

i've read too the "rosemary's baby" scenario penny mentioned.it would  have been very cool but i don't think daytime television at the time was progressive enough to tackle something like that.remember that this is only a few years away from married couples sleeping in twin beds on t.v..

it worked for a movie but satanic rape was probably not a subject a soap opera could realistically get away with in 1968.  >:D
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:19:24 AM »
"rosemary's baby"

I think they did come a little close to the general plot with the Leviathan story line.
Monster child.  Cult.

But that was late in the series.

= = =

Speaking of hiding pregnancy.
The Doctor from Star Trek the Next Generation did a bit of that. 
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!