Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0044  (Read 1483 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0044
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:47:35 AM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0044
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »
Probably because it's still 1966, Carolyn is wearing bangs. But they will grow out!

Hail and farewell to Patrick McVey, who plays John Harris, Elizabeth's banker, in his one and only appearance. You'd think he'd be around more often, but at least she givs him tea. And he does warn Elizabeth that Burke is making inquiries about buying up all of the Collins IOUs. If she doesn't do something, all will be lost just to save Roger's worthless hide. (Well, okay, he doesn't put it quite like that.)

Bill Malloy calls Carolyn "Princess." He calls Elizabeth the "great lady"--and he means it.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:44:28 AM »
Banker John states that Bill Malloy and Roger are not capable of running the business.  Burn! But Elizabeth has to approve everything so she is truly in charge, but not visiting the plant could lead to Roger running amok.  Then Ned calls and refuses to return without Elizabeth's agreement in marriage.  Apparently the show was too cheap to even hire an actor to appear on the other side of the line so we could at least see who had been turned down and in return turns down Elizabeth.
Elizabeth sets up a trust for David.  Wise move if something should happen to her, Roger would be sure to get David's money one way or another.
Bill calls Roger and forces a meeting or he's going to the police. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
The dialogue from this banker guy is pretty appalling. Liz hasn’t seen him in four years and he talks to her like this? I’d throw him out of the house if he spoke to me that way. “You need someone to handle your life.” Disgusting. And what business is it of his that she never divorced Paul? He’s her banker, not her analyst, for crying out loud.

Too bad Liz didn’t get to the crux of the matter with Bill regarding Roger. Too bad.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
Elizabeth learns that James Blair, brother to Cassandra and Nicholas is in league with Burke to take over the Collins business.  I have to wonder, would she have happily married Ned if she hadn't had some secret anxiety lingering in the background?  It is too bad that there isn't even an actor to come on the show and play the character--Ned could have shown up instead of the banker, after all.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
I always wondered if the writers didn't want to keep Ned in reserve and have him arrive in some later story line. But it didn't pan out that way for a number of reasons.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »
It's unlikely, but perhaps they needed to talk about an earlier, better fleet manager whom even Malloy wants back, to characterize Malloy as not being the brightest guy, so as to explain his recklessness at this point in the story.   [spoiler]Malloy admits to Burke that he's not as smart as Burke.   Now I tend to think of him as a clever man, but maybe Bill knows himself better.   The accountant buts in and says Bill's not so good at his job, Bill says get Ned back here...  Maybe the Malloy who was to survive and go on to assist Liz with Jason was a smarter version.  Maybe bringing in references to this old, better manager made Malloy's dangerous plan for the Big Meeting (instead of going to the police) seem in character, whereas we might have sctatched our heads at Bill's foolhardiness otherwise.[/spoiler]

It's a tiny, far-fetched point... maybe I just needed to post something today before going back to recouping for an MD appt. tomorrow.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
As always, MT, you bring up interesting points. What might have been....

Good luck with the MD tomorrow!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »
(Thanks, DL!  I wasn't up to doing a quality check on that post, so I was concerned...  The rheumatologist is an easy man to deal with, fortunately.   All I have to worry about is what he might tell me about my pinched "funny bone" nerve.) 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
Bill Malloy calls Carolyn "Princess."
And Roger calls her "Kitten".  Neither nickname is particularly complimentary, but she doesn't deserve anything better.  Incidentally, she changed her hairdo after she had lunch with Burke, right?

Did Frank Schofield ever sing in anything?  He sounds as though his singing voice might have been nice.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
I didn't see any singing credits when I looked him up at IMDB, but he did a number of soaps. And some time from now, [spoiler]we will actually hear him sing his favorite song.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
Two sites to search for stage roles are the Internet Broadway Database (www.IBDB.com) and Lortel Internet Off-Broadway Database (www.IOBDB.com), but I can't recall ever seeing a musical role in any of Frank Schofield's credits.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Thanks, Midnite--those look like useful links!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Hail and farewell to Patrick McVey, who plays John Harris, Elizabeth's banker,
According to the above links, McVey did comedy, musical, and dramatic plays on Broadway and performed in a few off-Broadway productions-- what a versatile actor!  Not to mention his extensive film and tv credits.  The first thing that came to mind when seeing his face this time around was Perry Mason.

And Timothy Gordon was walking about the Blue Whale in his 3rd uncredited appearance.

We learn for the 1st time, at least as far as I've been able to make it out, that Collinwood's number is Collinsport 4099.

Carolyn mentions the interest she receives from the bank, which I assume means she also has a trust fund.

Incidentally, she changed her hairdo after she had lunch with Burke, right?
Yes, and she had it cut.