Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0043  (Read 1365 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0043
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0043
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »
Favorite line in this episode comes from Maggie:
“What could be good about getting a man stoned?”
(Oh, I can think of lotsa things.)

I especially enjoyed this zinger from Bill, who is looking for Roger:
“He's not at his office, but that doesn't surprise me, he seldom is.”

I know Bill wants to confront Roger with what he think he knows, but I’m thinking it would have been a better plan to go to Liz and tell her what he suspects, maybe wait around at Collinwood for Roger to come home and then both Bill and Liz could let him have it.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:10 AM »
Maggie reveals that Sam sold paintings and got some money and then things went wrong. 
Bill infers that he lost out to Elizabeth by waiting too long and someone else came along and won her presumably her husband, but if she had been interested in Bill in a romantic way, she would have had him. 
Joe learns Carolyn had lunch with Burke and I say dump her Joe.  SHe is only trouble for you.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
Maggie tells Bill that the coffee is ten cents (!!!), but the conversation is free.

Two men with beards--Sam and Bill--in the same scene! In 1966!

This is something like Day 4 since Vicki's arrival, right?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
The director's chalkboard thing is being held in the diner this time.   The diner has a little table and chair with a typewriter next to the counter.   Of course, all diners do.   Have Bill Malloy and Vicki met?  I mean onscreen, before?   

It turns out that that big supposed sale of paintings was Sam's payoff.   I wonder if real work of his had to be sacrificed for that, to make it look good.   They've been living off the money ever since-- I doubt Maggie's supporting them both.   Nice lines from Malloy about not sitting on the sidelines, though usually I don't like sports metaphors.

They're saying Vicki and Sam have never met.   Didn't Sam issue a very valuable and coherent warning about death, in the diner, recently?  The same day, maybe?

Is this actually the start of say Four?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »
As far as I can remember, Sam and Vicki have met twice before:

On Vicki's first morning at Collinwood, she meets Sam the First atop Widows' Hill, where he tells her the original version of the legend of Josette.

On Day 3 (maybe?) at the diner, Sam the Second and Last tells her, No one's here but you and I and our private thoughts.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
Day four is episodes 38-47 day five is 48-52  and day six is  53-66.  Which gives new meaning to the term time standing still.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:52 AM »
Awesome! How do you keep track of these things???

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »
It would be great to watch it day by fictional day sometime, one real day per one early DS day.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 04:22:14 AM »
The day information came from an article about there being 52 days in the first year of the show.  I have them all written down for reference, but didn't want to get too far ahead.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
As far as I can tell, Maggie Evans is still a utility character, not a person.  She's the coffeeshop waitress, used to spread gossip around as needed, and she's the daughter of Sam Evans, acting as a sounding board for his emotional pain.  Everything she does is in service of other people's storylines.  So her lines don't come together to form a consistent character, which was what I was thinking about today as Bill Malloy talked with her.  And then Vicky came into the coffeeshop, and suddenly Maggie wanted to be personal friends with the woman whom she called a jerk in episode one.  What does Maggie care about Vicky?  She's got more in common with Silent Susie.

Meanwhile we haven't seen Mr. Wells for weeks, and I miss him.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
Maggie might have a few reasons for wanting to be friends with Vicki. I'll bet that most of the young Collinsport women of the same age are already married or working at the cannery. Carolyn is up at Collinwood and wouldn't (at this stage anyway) consider Maggie her social equal. Maggie might be aspiring to something more than waitressing at the diner, and Vicki has at least some education and is approachable.

Yes, right now Maggie is a utility character, but I suspect that will change soon.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:14:13 AM »
Why does Bill Malloy stir his black coffee?  [scratch]

That was frequent extra Timothy Gordon yukking it up at the Blue Whale.

Have Bill Malloy and Vicki met?  I mean onscreen, before?

Uhhh, can't remember it if they did.  But they did discuss the car accident on the phone.

They've been living off the money ever since-- I doubt Maggie's supporting them both.

I think she is.  She said she wouldn't be working there if he hadn't blown all the money.

They're saying Vicki and Sam have never met.   Didn't Sam issue a very valuable and coherent warning about death, in the diner, recently?

Shame on Francis Swann-- they met 3 times.  But Vicki doesn't know yet that the Sam she keeps running into is Maggie's Pop.