Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #113 (More DS Cast announcements!!)  (Read 1410 times)

Offline mrjuggins

• Full Poster
  • There's a moon out tonight ...
    • View Profile
    • The DS FAQ Homepage

LorraineAAB

Re:ShadowGram Update #113 (More DS Cast announcements!!)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:17:18 AM »
You asked for new characters--- now you have at least one.

Jenna Dewan--- now you KNOW this is gonna be a typical WB show.
Apparently she's done a lot of dancing in some pretty sexy videos, there's one website I had to get out of immediately because, well, I don't LOOK at those kind of sites, thanks very much.  Plus she lives, or used to live, with Mr. "Wardrobe Malfunction" himself, that "sweet" boy, Justin Timberlake....

Unless she turns out to be one of Barnabas's first, quickly-dispatched victims, or they somehow morph her into a prim virginal type, I wasn't too doubtful before, but this kind of annoys and bothers me....

L.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 07:25:11 AM »
If she's to play a victim, can Sophia possibly be any more annoying than... was Gloria the character's name?  After watching the '91 series, I'm surprised I wasn't haunted by her "Can't you wait until we get into the car?" in my dreams, ugh.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 10:03:48 AM »
After watching the '91 series, I'm surprised I wasn't haunted by her "Can't you wait until we get into the car?" in my dreams, ugh.

That was originally THE scene that was used over and over again on the various entertainment shows (and in print) to publicize the '91 series. By the time I actually saw it as part of the episode, I was already immune to it.  [wink2]  But thankfully other far more interesting promotional scenes replaced it...eventually.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 10:16:11 PM »
Of the castings announced so far, I'm really only familiar with two, Roger and Elizabeth, or rather Martin Donovan and Blair Brown. With those two, I feel very comfortable. I will admit I used to have a small crush on Blair Brown during her Molly Dodd days. I also remember her from Altered States. It may be of interest that she once played Mina in a 1973 Canadian TV production of Dracula. I have never seen this version, although it was covered by "Shivers" magazine a few years ago. Its one I would like to add to my collection.
   I suspect that we may have another recognizable name for the part of Dr. Hoffman. I'm still holding out for Faye Dunaway!
   By the way, I highly recommend the 1977 BBC production of "Count Dracula" with Louis Jourdan, which is also hard to find, but well worth it.   [blackbat] [blackbat]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

David

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 09:05:10 PM »
The 1977 Count Dracula with Louis Jourdan in superb.

Former DS Festival Dealer Parker Riggs offers it through his Tapes of Terror service. Ads for Tapes appear in many horror movie mags.

I've gotten this and other tapes from Parker. His service is superb, tape, print & sound quality are the best you'll ever find in the underground market.
He has thousands of titles.

email him at tapesofterror@morticiasmorgue.com

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 10:55:37 PM »
The BBC Dracula with Louis Jourdan is probably my favorite dramatization of the novel. Jourdan seems an unlikely actor for the role, but he really did a fine job of it. The whole production has an atmosphere of eerieness that is superior to just about any other, helped immensely by the musical score. I have a tape from television that goes back to the very early 80s when it was re-broadcast on PBS. I believe the original was a 2-part "miniseries," but the version I have doesn't run a full four hours. Not sure how much it might be missing.

--Mark

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 02:41:33 AM »
The Louis Jourdan version of Dracula seems to have veered from the topic of this thread, but I'm glad I stumbled on it.  I have been trying to track this for at least 10 years but it hasn't been available on VHS and hasn't been rebroadcast on PBS since the original broadcast (which I missed) so far as I know (addendum: rereading Mark's thread -- guess I missed the rebroadcast 20 years ago, too.  Can't believe it was that long ago).  "Gigi" is one of my favorite musicals (partly because it's based on a story by Colette, a favorite writer of mine); I admire Jourdan's urbanity and civilized image; he seems a very unlikely Dracula but this version intrigues me; it's supposed to be the most faithful to Stoker, moreso than the Dan Curtis version (which is not too far off the mark).  I'm confused by the mention of a 1973 Canadian version as well as this 1977 version, which I believe was produced by the Canadian arm of the BBC -- can there have been two Canadian TV versions within a few years of each other?

Last year Happybat came across information on how to order this, I think from England, but she wasn't sure if it was in PAL format and I didn't get around to investigating further in light of this latter question (especially having wasted $30 from amazon.uk on a PAL version of "Death in Venice" before I understood what PAL was).  Appreciate reading here of another possible source, but I'm not sure whether I'd feel good about ordering a bootleg copy from an individual.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 03:08:30 AM »
The BBC "Dracula" everyone's discussing was released as a limited run DVD last year in the UK through the BBC Education label.  Unfortunately it sold out very quickly, so I never got a copy...   :(

Ho hum... maybe they'll do a proper release some day.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online