Author Topic: Abe Vigoda on the #6 train  (Read 1074 times)

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Abe Vigoda on the #6 train
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I emailed this message to some Dark Shadows fans on Friday and thought I would share it with the forum.

I have a story about Abe Vigoda on the #6 train in Manhattan today which I thought you would appreciate. Abe has got to be around 88 or 89 but he looked terrific. He was by himself, dressed in jeans and a baseball cap. When he sat down, I found myself standing right in front of him when I recognized him. I normally stand on the subway even if there are seats available (a strange New York habit) but when I said hello to him I sat down next to him.

I told him that I had met him and his daughter at the Dark Shadows Festival in 1999 at the World Trade Center Marriott. He was genuinely warm and friendly, smiling broadly and conversing with enthusiasm. It was my honest impression that he was genuinely warmed by my mention of Dark Shadows and my memory of meeting his daughter, too. It's obvious that everyone remembers him as Tessio in The Godfather and Fish from Barney Miller. I would bet no one in his life ever approached him mentioning Dark Shadows. I reminded him that he was joking on stage with David Selby and he had a clear recollection of that. He asked me if I knew how Selby was. I told him I'm not friends with Selby; that I'm only in touch with KL Scott, L Parker, and Donna McKechnie. (If anyone knows how Selby is, Abe would like to know).

He went on about what a great show Dark Shadows was and how much he enjoyed it. He joked about one of the characters he played, "Brathwaite", when he had to dress up as an old man. "Now I could play the part without dressing up," he said. I asked him if he would ever come back to a festival and he said he didn't know, but that he continues to get literature from the fest (presumably from Marcy, I suppose). At one point in the middle of our talk, he tilted his head back so as to get a better look at me and said grinning, "So you're a Dark Shadows fan!" clearly indicating what a big kick he was getting out of our conversation.

I got off before him, at Grand Central, so I wished him luck. He said, "Tell everyone I said hello." I assured him I would, and that I would tell the fans what a pleasure it was to see him again.

Frank Borzellieri

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Abe Vigoda on the #6 train
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
This is so great, Frank! Hey, maybe you put a little bee in his bonnet, and he'll attend a festival. I know he's up there in age, but it sounds like he could do it. That would be fabulous.

BTW, I used to ride the #6 train regularly. All I ever encountered were thugs -- LOL! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
Abe Vigoda also starred as Jonathan Brewster in Arsenic and Old Lace on Broadway in 1986.  Jonathan Frid replaced him for the last two weeks on Broadway and then the National Tour.

nancy

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:11:57 AM »
Great story frank, well told!   I keep thinking fans approaching actors will be seen as stalkers, but you know, they really do want to be appreciated, of course...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
It's interesting, but living in New York City you get used to seeing famous people. I always ignore them. In Abe's case, the only thing that compelled me to speak to him was the fact that I had met him and his daughter personally at a Dark Shadows Festival. And there's no doubt that no one has ever approached him about his involvement in Dark Shadows. It was obvious that he got the biggest kick out of that.

Frank Borzellieri

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:07:54 AM »
i saw mr.vigoda walking down the street in new york a few months(weeks?)ago too.

i have a habit of running into(and approaching)d.s. actors around town.

i recently had a brief but pleasant chat with barbara blackburn(carolyn 91)at the store where i work.she was very nice
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.