Author Topic: Dark Shadows makes you insane?  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows makes you insane?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2002, 04:01:20 PM »
Sometimes I really feel like using some of Angelique's magic techniques on some of the folks I know! But then of course my whole catholic upbringing comes crashing into my mind and then Im like, "oh no, I can't do that!"  Lol!!  ;)

If you're going to use magic techniques, I think you'd want ones that actually WORKED for you,.....Angelique's tended to be hit or miss.   ::)

And I've known 3 generations of women who both believed in charms and incantations, AND considered themselves devout Catholics, with no conflict at all....on THEIR part anyway.  ;)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2002, 04:24:11 PM »
I would like to know if anyone else out there has done some strange things over the years because of watching the show.  Lets see, I have sat and recorded shows so that I could act the scenes with my children.  I even waited four weeks to grow Quentins sideburns.  I also sewed a ruffled edge on an old shirts sleeves for the costume.  We have had seances on stormy nights,parties with DS themes.  I keep a decanter of brandy even though I never drink it...well you get the idea.  My question is DOES ANYBODY ELSE DO THINGS LIKE THIS OR DO I NEED HELP OF SOME KIND?/

Yes, Hooked, everything you do is definitely activity that would require a check-in at Wyndcliffe, but don't worry - I'll help.  It'll just take me some time to get everything set up.  Let's see:  one voodoo doll; pair of black candles; herbs; amulets; Leviathan Book Volume I; amputated mummified hand.  With all this, I'll have ya fixed up in no time and you'll no longer have that bizarre obsession with "things Dark Shadows".  Now where did I put that scarab?

Gerard

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2002, 06:24:15 PM »
For a long time, I've worried about my state of mind because it seems that I always relate everything that I do to DS.  I'll quote lines in conversation, compare people that I know to characters, or certain events to various story lines.  My seemingly one-track mind even leads me to create terminology based on DS.

We could share a room at Wyndcliffe...I often find myself answering in a way that the real Barnabas would.  And why not? Barnabas had the kind of self-possession in his speech that one rarely sees today.  In modern lingo, he didn't take any crap from anybody. I think the same could be said about Grayson Hall who was unusual in that respect for women even today. You might have noticed that I am also known as Grayson Hall, a name given to me by my good friend Gerard. I wear it proudly, which is why I'm one of the people this thread was started for.

P.S. When I was in high school I wanted to buy all my clothes at Orbach's, but by the late '70's they were a cut rate department store with very little that resembled what our doubles at Collinwood wore.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2002, 06:31:09 PM »
Well, I don't know about insane but I'm certainly considered to be very eccentric, a bit idiosyncratic. . .same thing? yes and no. . I have A Grayson mousepad and 2 Julia t-shirts that I wear to bed or at the DS Fest. . you'll all see. . and I do often think about stuff they didn't show but should've and how the show was to end but how it really did. . If I could turn back time. . i'd tell DC to can the 1841PT and go with the Return of Adam and Barnabas finally getting his head pulled out of his *** about Julia. . .so the fact that I dwell upon a 30-year old television show .. yea that makes me a little nutty, a good nutty though. .my friends seem to enjoy it. . .are they laughing **at** or **with** that is the question. .
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2002, 07:33:39 PM »
Hooked said:
One more thing is my wish to have my ashes thrown out over Widow's Hill....that's nearing the edge, isn't it?!

No, Hooked.....that would definitely be OVER the edge...[lghy]

Raineypark...who already has it in writing that the ashes have to go into the ocean.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2002, 07:54:44 PM »
When I saw the show the first time around, in the 60's and early 70's, and Barnabas joined the cast, I constantly used the word "loathe," as Barnabas did.  My friends looked at me so oddly when I did that, but I kept right on using it.

I walk 3-4 miles daily, always with my Sony Walkman clapped arouny my ears, and CD's that I've burned myself blasting through my brain.  I find myself adding songs to the CD's that remind me, overtly or otherwise, of DS characters.  For instance, "Stairway to Heaven," by Led Zeppelin, always sounded to me like Angelique's song.  As bad as she was, she seemed to long for a Samantha Stepens-like existence with Barnabas.  "Take On Me," (can't recall the group) is Julia's song.  Nearly every character on the show has several songs that put me in mind of DS, and as I walk along, I remember scenes, kisses, lines that resonate with me.  It helps make the walking go by very quickly.

I lived and dreamed DS during its first go-round (some said obsessively and unhealthfully), but I was a sad teenager and DS helped me through my difficult days.  Now, I wife and mother, postal worker and free lance writer, I have other interests and concerns--but DS is always there, somewhere.  

That crazy show has influenced me so greatly, I suspect it will be amongst my last thoughts on the day I die, many years in the future, I hope!

Love, Robin

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2002, 11:53:57 PM »
Phew!  I'm glad I read this post!  Now I feel like I'm normal.  Obsessed?  Oh yeah.  Since the beginning.  Insane?  Naw.  Just a little compulsive and eccentric perhaps.    ::)

Personally, I have enough candles around the place to light a small city (however they are NOT blue...except those two in the dining room.)  I have a major collection of DS tapes (that's normal.)  Yes, I can recite dialogue and know the words to all the songs and remember them thirty years later.  SO?!  I too do the Julia faces...she's one of my fav characters.   I'm on a FEW DS lists and write fanfiction.  Again...SO?  You have a problem with that?  

Look, some people fixate on Nascar, some on WWF, some on X-files, some on Star Trek.  It's not hurting anyone.  I look at it as a mental release or mental exercise.  But, I'm with J99...are my cronies laughing AT or WITH me?   :D
Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2002, 03:15:21 AM »
Hey we all have things we obsess over
some could send you to WyndCliff some not!
I just am careful who I talk too about the show  so I don't get THE LOOK ::) from people who don't understand!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2002, 05:09:41 AM »

I just am careful who I talk too about the show  so I don't get THE LOOK ::) from people who don't understand!
jennifer

That says it in a nutshell!  ;)
I've had to be carefull, too, who I told that I LOVE DS, watch it faithfully and even write fan fiction. My husband isn't a fan but he seems to tolerate my hobby.

CAROL

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2002, 06:11:42 AM »

But I guess as long as when real life gets me down I don't start looking for a solution by asking myself, "What would Angelique do?" I'm still just teetering on the edge. ;)

Oh, I love this! That pretty much sums it up for me! [angl2]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2002, 08:55:11 AM »

"Take On Me," (can't recall the group) is Julia's song.  

Love, Robin

I think Tina Turner's A Fool in Love is Julia's song. .

check out the lyrics and see who all agrees?
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/67341338A99386A648256918002BC03E
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2002, 11:40:57 AM »

As bad as she was, she seemed to long for a Samantha Stepens-like existence with Barnabas.  "Take On Me," (can't recall the group) is Julia's song.  

Love, Robin

Welcome back Robin!  That song was by a group called A-ha.  I remember the song from the 80's. It was a pretty good song too. I don't think they had any other songs though and I think it was one of those "one hit wonders."  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2002, 02:18:37 PM »
well, i'm not insane over this show! even though, i'm always talking about it to people, and think about it all the time, and watch it all the time (i am right now!). Well, right now, i only think i'm a fan, who wants every episode on tape. but, it doesn't make me insane, and i don't talk to my cat (she's mean, i call her bad names every once in a while) and i don't act out scenes (especially with my kids! because, i don't have any). does remembering bloopers count?

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2002, 04:52:57 PM »

I think Tina Turner's A Fool in Love is Julia's song. .

check out the lyrics and see who all agrees?
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/67341338A99386A648256918002BC03E

That's great J99 and pretty sums it up!We know Julia would do anything for Barnabas!Bad state of mind though!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline mordecaigrimes

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2002, 03:33:59 AM »
When I was a kid, my friends and I used to do a pretty good imitation of Angelique's evil laugh.  We held seances at slumber parties, and we bought the Josette Dupres music box and choreographed floor routines to it.  We also used to grab our throat the way Julia does, and we, too, imitated her facial expressions.  One of my friends even started wearing lilac perfume so she'd smell like the ghost of Daphne.

I'm sure there were a lot more episodes of questionable behavior with regard to that show, but that's all I can think of at the moment.