Author Topic: Hammiest Ham that ever Hammed  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Hammiest Ham that ever Hammed
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2002, 11:49:15 PM »
I agree....this was pretty funny stuff.  I like that they had a perfectly dug out grave - into which someone? had placed a coffin containing a dead 6 ft tall person.  Hmmmm....only Willie & Julia were there.  Who carried that thing?  

AND......neither one had a smudge of dirt on them and neither one seemed to have even broken a sweat!!!

It's inconceivable to me that Willie alone could have dug such a massive grave with nothing more than a shovel and his bare hands in such a short time period. This was one of the more absurd moments in the series.
:P

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2002, 12:57:30 AM »

You think Grayson Hall ever went home after taping an episode and said: "Sam, what the hell was that script all about?!"  ;)

I think she went home, took the cocktail out of his hand and said. . "no more for you, after what your stupid script made me do today!"
Julia99

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2002, 02:25:06 AM »
My psychobabble for today - Willie seems to be a person who needed/wanted a strong male figure in his life (issues with his father?).  Witness his relationship with Jason McGuire.  

I've always been a strong believer in this line of thought.  

Even tho Willie was a wild card, Jason had some control over him(the scene where Willie says to Jason, "Are you gonna get rough with me?" hints to previous "do as I say or I'll beat the crap out of you or worse". Only someone who felt that they "deserved" this kind of treatment would stay.

I also think that Willie wanted to leave that kind of lifestyle by stealing the jewels from the mausoleum. He saw Jason setting himself up for an easy life with no guarantees that he'd be included.  A few jewels that he could fence would enable him to leave Jason. Unfortunately, he was caught in another man's evil web that stripped what was left of his independent streak.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Giving up his Roxanne to help Barnabas(once again) was the final nail in his coffin to live his own life.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2002, 03:14:01 AM »
Watching it as an adult, it seems like a very odd episode indeed.  It seems as if Grayson and Johnny had barely had the chance to rehearse their scenes in the early part.  You get the feeling that it was one of those "off" days in the studio.  Strangely, though, the awkwardness and jerkiness of the two characters' behavior makes a weird kind of sense, given their emotional state as written in the script.  At least, that's how I see it.

I kind of enjoyed this episode.  Probably for all the wrong reasons.  I always start laughing when Willie moans, "oh, no, we're gonna start hearing the dogs howling."  

The script is beyond bizarre in places, though.  How goofy is it to think that burying someone would keep him from rising as a vampire?  Someone as knowledgeable about that particular as "affliction" as Julia Hoffman was, would know just how ridiculous that idea was.

This blew my mind the first time I saw it and it still does now.   Maybe it's because I just watched about 6 days of DS in one sitting, but oh dear God, what were they smoking?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2002, 06:55:54 AM »
 I like that they had a perfectly dug out grave - into which someone? had placed a coffin containing a dead 6 ft tall person.  Hmmmm....only Willie & Julia were there.  Who carried that thing?  

Franimal

LOL!!!  I was wondering the same thing!   Is Willie really that strong?

I also find it strange as to why Julia thought that burying Barnabas would prevent him from rising as a vampire. The only logical thing I can think of is perhaps in Julia's own mind, (since she couldn't bring herself to stake him) she knew this really wouldn't work and that he WOULD come back again. It's hard to believe and accept the fact that Julia was really saying goodbye to him for good. As much as she hated what he was before, I think she felt that at least he was there and it was better to have him like he was than not to have him around at all. Also, I believe she felt that with him being "alive" as a vampire, there was still some measure of hope that he could still be cured again. Julia just doesn't give up that easy, so IMO I felt that this is what she might have been thinking in the back of her mind.  This way when he goes to "strangle" her letting him come back this way, she could always say that "she tried to comply with his wishes" by burying him.  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2002, 07:27:56 AM »

I when Willie moans, "oh, no, we're gonna start hearing the dogs howling."
what were they smoking?

Luciaphil

gotta be the best laugh of the month!

"and everyone's gonna start wearing neck scarves again"
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 05:28:43 AM »
And wasn't that bitch-slap Julia gave Cassandra SO satisfying?
Immensely. And this exchange (paraphrased):

CASSANDRA: I think you're in love with him.
JULIA: Not nearly as much as you.

Duh and duh!

Too bad TV shows didn't do "special" episodes back then, like the Buffy musical.  I'd love to hear Julia break into a rousing version of "Stand By Your Man"!

LMAO. That was truly HIGHlarious!!   Thanks for the laugh.  And yeah it is too bad they didn't do musicals.  Like Joss said about Buffy "they all seem as if any minute there gonna break out in song"  that is not verbatim, but he said something along those lines.  And I feel the same way about DS as he does about Buffy!! AGAIN thanks for the laugh!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 12:40:54 AM »
As I have mentioned before, we really should have seen more scenes between Barnabas and Willie that would believably convince the viewers why Willie would get so choked up over Barnabas' "death" despite Barnabas' mistreatment of him in the past.

At least with Julia, we did get to see her and Barnabas' relationship slowly but nicely progress from battling enemies to friendly confidents.

And yes, I so do enjoy watching Julia slap Cassandra a hard one very much, every time.