Author Topic: Sometimes I wish the original Collins kept their moxie  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes I wish the original Collins kept their moxie
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2002, 07:33:52 AM »
Sometimes it is a bit annoying to see how much the original Collins have been dummied down since the supernatural change. Liz is aso weak and clueless. She used to be so strong.

And Vicki's quotable quote from Wednesday's 2nd episode: "I can't believe that this is happening to her.  She's always been so strong."

Well, looks like its unanimous.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2002, 08:03:03 PM »

Depressing is good sometimes, much more interesting than happy, IMO lol ....

Yes, angst *is* the conventional foundation of a soap opera.  :)

However, IMO the DS writers got inexcusably lazy about writing many of their non-supernatural characters after the early episodes, and a lot of the dialogue is lethargic, to say the least (sometimes, even for the characters they were *interested* in writing). It's unfortunate, because even with witchcraft, vampirism, ghosts, and mad scientists at the fore of the storylines, the others who weren't in the know about everything that was happening didn't have to be made incompresensibly stupid or practically invisible for the plots to go forward...*especially* since they were dealing with the paranormal, IMO.  So much of what happened in Collinsport was logically inexplicable that no one needed to be written as a moron  to wonder what was going on.  

In the very early episodes, the stories dealt with some very human problems in addition to ghosts, and much of the dialogue was exceptional.  Liz was a formidable presence, even hiding out at Collinwood -- early scenes between her and Roger, and her and Jason, were priceless. Suddenly, she gets to wander around like a zombie whose biggest decision in life is the color of satin that will line her coffin.

Roger was much more interesting when he had all the makings of a sneaky, jaded, and morally weak man -- mocking, distrustful, and cynical (much like the one he got to play in AMC years later), but before we know it, he's a good guy who's always away on business trips.

Also, early on, both Maggie and Vicki had some intelligence.  Vicki had decent reasoning powers, at least, and I've never figured out what prompted them to dumb her down to such a degree.  Maggie was sassy as well as smart, yet by the time we get to the end of the kidnapping sequence, little -- if any -- of her original personality remains.  Now I can see how trauma could prompt certain mental or behavioral changes -- and often only to a point, and for a limited duration -- but she was hynotized to forget everything that happened, anyway, so theoretically, she should have become the same old Maggie.  Instead, more often than not, she gets vapid dialogue that makes her sound like she got her mind wiped.  

There's a scene between KLS and Frid just before 1897 begins, in which Maggie says somethng to Barnabas that is so patently ludicrous that I nearly choked the first time I saw it.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2002, 08:57:13 PM »
Well, in the case of Sam Hall and Gordon Russell, I have to say that I think it was a combination of both.  

A friend of mine thinks that at some point TPTB figured out their mainstay was kids and why bother trying to make it better.

I can see how that would happen, but I guess as someone who's done my share of high pressure jobs where no one really would care if I didn't push to do my best and I did anyway--I find that inexcusable.  A good (fill in the blank of your choice) is going to do their best.  It's what you should strive for.  And they ain't striving.

I think the idea of the most of the viewers being kids
hits the nail on the head when i watched it as a kid i could have cared less about those things just bring on the spooky things(And Chris J) that is why is was so interesting to watch it as an adult!I still say bring on the spooky things(and chris J) LOL! just kidding! do see things i never thought of as a kid and that what makes  
it all the more entertaining something that is hard to explain to my family!Good Point Luciaphil!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2002, 12:01:35 AM »
Roger was much more interesting when he had all the makings of a sneaky, jaded, and morally weak man -- mocking, distrustful, and cynical (much like the one he got to play in AMC years later), but before we know it, he's a good guy who's always away on business trips.

.....  Maggie was sassy as well as smart,

Cheers,
Linda

I would love to see some of these AMC's with Big Lou - do they run on this 'soap net'???  if so I will have to ramp up a lobby to get that channel added to our cable system.  LE was great!!

and a SASSY Maggie again!.... now let me think about that for a while.....

sneaky, jaded, morally weak, mocking, distrustful, and cynical Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2002, 12:10:22 AM »
Even Vicky was alot stronger then too!! During the Laura Collins storyline, I can still remember how fast Vicky got on her case, running all over the place just to find out any information she could on Laura. When Liz fell ill due to one of Laura's spells, Vicky seemed to suspect her right away and then did everything she could to protect David from his evil mother.  Now, you hardly ever see her with the kid. (Is she still his governess?)

I was also surprised to see how "spunky" little Vicky could be in the very early eps. She stands up to Mrs. Stoddard on at least two occasions and accuses her of hiding knowledge about her paternity. After getting nowhere, she goes behind her back to see her lawyer, Richard Garner, in Bangor. And what of the sly little smile at Roger and Elizabeth, trying to pretend the portrait of Betty Hanscomb looks nothing like her, only to have Carolyn waltz in and ask Vicky where she'd had her portrait done!! ;D

Maggie too was alot wiser then than she is now.

I was so surprised to see "early" Maggie Evans making a play for Joe Haskell when she recognized that his relationship with Carolyn was turning sour.

Hopefully, once this Adam thing is over with, everyone will start to "wisen" up again. ;)

Unfortunately, it seems that post-1795, all the "present day" story lines are hopeless. (JMHO.)
:-[

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2002, 12:13:35 AM »
I would love to see some of these AMC's with Big Lou - do they run on this 'soap net'???  if so I will have to ramp up a lobby to get that channel added to our cable system.  LE was great!!

SoapNet only airs currently running episodes of All My Children, unfortunately, as the show has deteriorated beyond recognition IMHO. I would love it if they would show some old episodes from the 80's when Louis Edmonds played Langley Wallingford so deliciously, but unfortunately that isn't too likely while AMC is still on the air. I doubt ABC Daytime wants viewers to be reminded of how much better the show used to be. :P

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2002, 01:01:50 AM »
I would love to see some of these AMC's with Big Lou - do they run on this 'soap net'???  

I WISH they did!  I would love to see LE play Langley again...especially when he's new to Pine Valley, and is just starting to romance Phoebe...and then when he finds out he's on the hot seat because Myrtle knows who he *really* is.  :D :D  I think the early period was my favorite, but he was fabulous throughout his run on the show.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2002, 10:29:28 AM »
I was so surprised to see "early" Maggie Evans making a play for Joe Haskell when she recognized that his relationship with Carolyn was turning sour.

*grumbles loudly* It was turning sour, but yeah it STILL COULD HAVE WORKED OUT!!! *grumbles* Maggie ..... grrrrr .....  >:( Don't you have to mush grapes to make wine? Their relationship was in the mushing sour pruning stage that no one really likes, but it would have turned into wine eventually!! Honestly! Grrrrrr .... *goes off to write a FF* *more grumbles* She should have listened to Sam when he told her to STAY OUT OF IT!!!!

~The cynically oreo-stuffed Daphne  :P
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2002, 07:44:22 PM »
Has All MY Children ever had Langley die off camera (due to the death of Louis Edmonds) or is he mentioned at all anymore?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2002, 07:48:40 PM »
Has All MY Children ever had Langley die off camera (due to the death of Louis Edmonds) or is he mentioned at all anymore?

I think the last time Edmonds appeared was when AMC was doing their big 25th anniversary show, which would have been 1995.

After that they were having Phoebe (they finally put Ruth Warrick in a wheelchair, thank God, it was pretty painful viewing there for a while.  I swear to God, they were just sort of propping her up on the set) or Brooke occasionally refer to him.  They haven't killed off the character, no.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 08:16:57 AM »

Joeytrom,

Kosmo was kind enough to scan these pages from the October 25, 2005 issue of Soap Opera Digest.  The 3rd Q&A provides details about the acknowledgement of his passing.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 11:52:08 PM »
Thank You :)