Author Topic: ** Conversion Day Is HERE! **  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ** Conversion Day Is HERE! **
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 04:06:33 PM »
I HAVE DELETED THE QUOTE CODE AFTER MY NAME 6 TIMES, HIT PREVIEW; TRIED COPYING/PASTING JUST MY WORDS, BUT STILL QUOTE CODES AND IT APPEARS...

Yikes.  I managed to get it fixed moments before the site went down.  Anyway, your original post contained 3 quotes and you were missing the final closing quote tag, so when the system couldn't find one it inserted it at the end of your message.  The sequence should look like this:

Code: [Select]
[quote][quote][quote]Text of quote #1.[/quote]
Text of quote #2.[/quote]
Text of quote #3.[/quote]
Text of response.

To solve the problem of having to keep track of code for multiple quotes, just quote the part that you're responding to, as is there now.  If a reader wants to see the quote in its entire context, they need only follow the link back to the original post.  :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 03:43:36 AM »
Using Netscape 7.1, the previous version of the Forum was a bit small and I'd do Ctrl + to make it larger.  With this new version, it's very small and I have to do that twice.  Then, some of the headings are too big!  But, that's better than the main text being too small.

The text in this box right now is very big.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 12:31:17 AM »
This caught at least a few people by surprise, myself included, so I probably should explain that the 120 second limit on posting (which was put in place to prevent spewing [repeatedly submitting posts in rapid succession] on the forums) now includes any combination of posting and personal messaging.  In other words, after you send a PM you're required to wait 120 seconds before you can submit a post or send another PM, or if you start by making a post you then have to wait... you get the picture.  I don't know why the SMF developers added private messaging to the mix, but I suspect it may have been to thwart flooding of other mailboxes with PMs.

BTW, if you get a 120 second limit error message, figure on having to wait another 120 seconds.  Take it from someone who sends a lot of PMs.   :-

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 01:55:47 AM »
Thanks Midnite...I had meant to ask...since we just recently had our "Service Query Language (SQL*I hope) info from y'all mods....can you explain SMF beta??

Thanks darlingS,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 02:05:02 AM »
SMF:  see Help

beta:  Internet dictionary

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 04:47:18 AM »
When you said that the extra smileys were unavailable, I assumed that meant the listing of the additional ones.  However, I tried using a few that I know and they didn't work, so apparently you meant that the actual smileys are unavailable.

Question about size - on the old system, if one clicked on "size" it came up [2] and for a birthday greeting I'd usually change it to 4 or 5.  So, I was rather shocked when I saw 10 tonight.  Since I've mentioned having to increase the size for viewing the pages, I thought it might be connected to that.  Then, I realized it's 10 point.  I suppose that's a more realistic and familiar way of doing it, but, especially since I've adjusted my view, I wasn't sure what a larger number would do, and thought I better be a bit conservative with it!

Do you know an approximate relationship between our new points and the old 2, 3, 4, 5?
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
Do you know an approximate relationship between our new points and the old 2, 3, 4, 5?

Well, I can take a stab at it...

This is 10 point
This is size 2
[size=10pt]This is 10 point[/size]
[size=2]This is size 2[/size]

This is 12 point
This is size 3
[size=12pt]This is 12 point[/size]
[size=3]This is size 3[/size]

This is 14 point
[size=13.5pt]This is 13.5 point[/size]
This is size 4
[size=14pt]This is 14 point[/size]
[size=13.5pt]This is 13.5 point[/size]
[size=4]This is size 4[/size]

This is 17 point
This is size 5
[size=17pt]This is 17 point[/size]
[size=5]This is size 5[/size]

You didn't ask for size 1, but it's the default for the preview feature, so--

This is 7 point
This is size 1
[size=7pt]This is 7 point[/size]
[size=1]This is size 1[/size]

Eh, close enough.  And probably way more approximate than you wanted.  :D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 11:46:31 PM »
The text is very small and kinda hard to read, even if I increase text size.

Well, I've spent the last day and a half trying to get to the bottom of this, and there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I discovered that when the system converted our YaBB SE template to SMF, it appeared that it left out some important code that regulates the text display, so I've added it in. The bad news is that it works well in every browser except IE. Of course, I can't really say that surprises me because the new system is using cutting edge XHTML and Cascading Style Sheet code and, as I've mentioned before, IE just doesn't handle that sort of stuff very well.

I'll continue to investigate this to see if there's any sort of a solutuion for IE users. But given that Microsoft has announced that they have no intentions of updating IE, and that the other browsers do update frequently, IE users might want to seriously consider changing to a different browser. This site might be the only one with display issues at the moment, but as existing sites update their code and new sites are created from the get go with the newer codes, you're likely to see more "problems".  :(

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 04:48:49 AM »
Thank you, both!!  Those font sizes will definitely help, Midnite.  MB, I wondered if you did something.  I still had to raise the size up one, which I had been doing all along, but it definitely looked better when I first arrived.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 08:40:08 PM »
But given that Microsoft has announced that they have no intentions of updating IE, and that the other browsers do update frequently, IE users might want to seriously consider changing to a different browser.

I just read that Microsoft is bowing to pressure and has decided to begin a new phase of Internet Explorer development after all. However, don't look for IE7 any time soon - it's expected to be at least a year in the making - and no wonder, considering how far Microsoft has to go just to catch up to the other browsers that are currently available, not to mention the innovations those browsers will introduce before IE7 is released.