Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0872  (Read 708 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0872
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
Robservations #872

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0872

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Nancy B VO.  Welcome back, Beth.  So what've you been doing, Beth?  Just squatting in your old Collinwood room?  Trying to carry piles of towels around so it looks as if you still work there?  I don't know if she was officially fired, but there was the attempted murder... Selbtofi sounds as if he's telling her his real plans.  Why?  To get her to do free work, I suppose.  We learn that he expects his body to disappear (into the future) as part of the process.  As Barnabas's did. 

In the foyer... Tate sort of brushes by Barnabas without acknowledgement, reaction, or hair touching.  Barnabas already officially knows Tate, and Charipansy.  She and new Barnabas are talking like they're both fully caught up on each other and the general Collins situation.  That's my problem with Barnabas's rehabilitation.  He just steps into his old role again, pursuing the same agenda, and this makes no one suspicious. 

Selbtofi manages to throw the 49th twice in a row, as he assumes he will.  He should have arrived in that bright suit with the yellow shirt I think.  I suppose arriving looking 1897-ish is a bad sign.  For Petofi.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »
Actually, that Quentin with the bright suit and yellow shirt may not exist anymore as Petofi in Quentin's body instead may have been in a trance from 1897-1969 and that's why he wears the 19th century clothing.

I think Petofi may have inadvertently changed future history as now that he is in Quentin's body, there never was an active, living Quentin for all those years.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
I see you're being a naughty viewer, actually trying to think these things through, like me... That's the problem, Q or Q's body has to live through all the intervening years.  Maybe he did come out of a 70 year I Ching trance, as you say.  I guess his counting on the body following him to 1969 after awhile blows that theory, though.  (This just came out, in the WP.)  Your idea is more possible than the Count's, though.  If Q's body jumps to the future, it won't already be there to leap into in the first place.  It has to live through the intervening years.  But if it did, it's still vulnerable to gypsies.  A mess...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »
Speaking of trying to think all this through, it's interesting that Petofi thought that we'd be using the same dollar bills in 1969 as in 1897. The bills in Beth's suitcase would have aroused the suspicions of even the dullest cashier.

Interesting conversation between Pansity and Barnabas when he tells her, I know I look like the vampire you destroyed, but you must believe that I was a victim of the vampire--just as your fiancé was. [He means poor Carl, and it's doubly true.]

Don't forget 1969 Quentin's necktie, wide enought for a six-lane highway.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »
Suspicions, but what kind?  All I can think is that they might think it was dug up somewhere, which it would have been, and the police might check into it, and find no reports of anything missing? 

It might be valuable antique money.  Silver certificates, that's something old bills were likely to be back then.  I remember they were being called in, to be destroyed maybe, but you got a nice payment.  Collectors might pay more.  "Quentin" dig it up on Collins ground....

That took gall, bringing up Carl (who explained all about her dual identity to "real" Barn I wonder?  How long did it take, while Barn feigned befuddlement?!) to Pansy, though does anyone really think she's Pansy who is grieving for Carl?  Petofi maybe.  Barnabas seems made of gall, sometimes.

I only remember the yellowness of 1969 Q, except of course ties were widening.  I did think then, though, that by then, they needed to widen, within reason.  It was all that counteracted the Poindexterish-ness of earlier 60s suits.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »
This was dealt with in the movie "Time After Time", when H.G. Wells arrives in 1979 San Francisco from 1890's London  with 19th century money.  He goes to a Bank of England (?) and the teller (soon to be GF) said there wasn't any problem with transferring the currency even though it was many years old.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Joeytrom, you're absolutely right about Time after Time! I remember that scene too.

In fact, I've seen several TV shows and movies where a character finds a stash of old Bell Telephone stock certificates, cashes them out, and rakes in millions.

I suppose Angelique and/or Julia explained the new circumstances at Collinwood while they were dosing Barnabas. And I suppose that after all those years of vampirism, Barn's top priority is his own survival, regardless of how he hurts others, up to and including his "dear friend" Julia.