Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0269  (Read 1938 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0269
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0269
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »
Great episode. (I know what else is new? lol).

Thank heavens Vicki got there in time to stop Elizabeth...and she used the best persuasive argument to talk her out of killing herself too....Carolyn. I think Carolyn would be haunted for the rest of her life by her mother's suicide and would believe she drove her to it (not really, that "honor" would belong to Jason for causing all the friction between mother and daughter in the first place).

Despite their differences in the past, you could see Burke really did want to help Elizabeth out. He never really liked or trusted Jason very much either and would like to help prevent her from making the biggest mistake of her life.

Jason was so detestable in this episode (again what else is new?). Too bad Elizabeth didn't blow the whistle on the whole affair when Burke confronted her and Jason with the list of Jason's illegal activities.

Again, Joan really shined in this episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »
This is where I'm supposed to give credit where credit is due, and say, "Well, Vicky scotched Elizabeth's suicide plans where Mrs. Johnson and Barnabas only delayed them."  And I do say it.  Granted, she had a head start: unlike Mrs Johnson and Barnabas, she knew why Elizabeth was planning to jump, so she could speak about the real problem instead of just saying vaguely, "Death is not the answer."  But Vicky fought well.  And now I'm the one who's being less than warm - but I never can bring myself to say, "Hurray for Vicky!"  I'll leave it to others.

When Elizabeth and Vicky come back to Collinwood and Elizabeth looks around, it's obvious what Liz is doing, even before she says it.  Very nice.  And then Jason comes in like a bull in a china shop.  What is his problem?  Well, we know what his problem is: Dennis Patrick wants out of the show, so Jason has to push Elizabeth too hard so Elizabeth will push back.  And given his previous history as described by Burke, it makes sense: he never quite succeeds in his schemes, but always ends up jumping ship and looking around for a more promising victim.  I keep wondering about Jason.  What sort of person walks into a roomful of people and immediately sets about making them hate him?  Clearly Jason doesn't believe that kind hearts are worth more than coronets - but at his age, he might want to start thinking about the future.  Who is going to come visit him after he's been carted off to the nursing home?  [spoiler]Perhaps, in the long run, Barnabas did him a big favor.  After all, he'll never be lonely in the secret room of the mausoleum.  That place is like Grand Central Station.[/spoiler]
I feel sorry for Vicky, who has been given the task of erasing the date of death from Elizabeth's entry in the family Bible.  She's definitely not going to be able to make it look as though nothing had ever been written there, and I hope she won't make a hole in the paper scraping away the ink.  Her best bet may be to use white-out - although the paper probably is more like off-white.  Incidentally, I liked the handwriting on the date of death - so elegant!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
Good thoughts, I did check out White Out, developed around 1966. In this sense Collinsport was a head of time. Didn't we use a wet erasor?? I think my mind might  have left me.

I'm thinking that  if MJ or BC hadn't said anything to Vickie, would she have gone into the room?
I do like the fact that Burke is trying to help, I think that he is doing this for Vicki, but he does respect Liz.  I like the way that Liz stood up to Jason in the end. I think that she got power from the house.

[spoiler]This is where Liz could have used Julia Hoffman, Medicine Woman, Liz could have used her magic bag[/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
It wasn't Dennis Patrick's decision to leave DS, his character served it's purpose and wasn't necessary anymore.  I believe he was hired for the short term this story was to run.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:53:53 PM »
On one of the DVD interviews he said that he wanted off the show, to do something else.  I don't remember which one, don't have them all yet, But saw it through renting netflix.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
Maybe he wanted off the show when he was playing Paul Stoddard and not JM?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:04:18 PM »
Maybe he wanted off the show when he was playing Paul Stoddard and not JM?

He did leave during Leviathans to appear in the film Joe with Peter Boyle. That's why we were subjected to the ridiculousness of having [spoiler]Peter's ghost rather than Paul's haunt Jeb.  ::)[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »
If I remember correctly, Dennis Patrick said in the interview that lori54 mentioned that he wanted to go to his daughter's highschool graduation.  This would mean that the character that he left behind had to be Jason McGuire rather than Paul Stoddard, since Paul's return to Collinsport happened in the wintertime - but perhaps Patrick mixed the two memories up.  When I was watching the interview, I thought that his daughter's highschool graduation must have been rather late in the season, so perhaps he was throwing in, free of charge, a memory that had nothing to do with Dark Shadows at all.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:00:11 PM »
It does seem odd that a graduation - a one day event - would be a reason to leave a job. Particularly when DS often videotaped shows out of sequence to accommodate different actors' schedules/commitments. But who knows?  :-

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »
Keep in mind that a lot of the DS actors memories aren't like the fan's memories and tend to blur things together.    Still, I dont see how Dennis could have stayed on in DS, especially at that time actors didnt play more then one role.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »
I just found the Dennis Patrick interview.  It's on disc 3 of DVD set 2, and it's very funny.  Patrick stated clearly that he wanted out.  Besides graduating from highschool, his daughter was in the senior play as well.  A classic motive for quitting a job.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »
And this was during his stint as Jason, Lydia?

PS - Thanx mucho for locating, watching, & reporting on the interview.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 02:54:35 PM »
You're welcome, dom,  but I just happened to come across it.  (You are free to assume that I play Frisbee with the discs in my spare time.)

Dennis Patrick did not say when this was, but the interview is placed on a DVD with Jason episodes on it, and Patrick was talking a lot about John Karlen, Mitchell Ryan, and cows, so I think his mind was on Jason rather than on Paul.