Author Topic: Roger Davis Has Many Fans...All Electric...  (Read 3012 times)

ClaudeNorth

Roger Davis Has Many Fans...All Electric...
« on: August 16, 2002, 07:13:51 AM »
Hello!

Today, I pose a question to all of you, a question which has been bothering me for some time now:

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A ROGER DAVIS FAN?

The man was a major presence on DS for several years, and he continues to show up at the Fests.  However, if the posts on this board are any indication, his acting is not particularly admired by DS fans, and his presence at the Fests tends to irritate rather than entertain.  Even the always diplomatic KLS allowed her negative comments about RD to be published in the DS MOVIE BOOK.

So, I ask you:  are there any Roger Davis fans in DS fandom?

Regards,

John

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis Has Many Fans...All Electric...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 07:21:51 AM »
So, I ask you:  are there any Roger Davis fans in DS fandom?

Well, he met his current wife at a DS convention, so I suppose that means there's at least one. ;)

Lara Parker tends to be pretty fond of him, too. But being a fellow DS actor, she doesn't really count...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 08:03:22 AM »

Well, he met his current wife at a DS convention, so I suppose that means there's at least one. ;

A very loyal fan I'd say. She married him??? What a trip!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2002, 05:57:14 PM »
I met Roger at the recent fest in Anaheim and found him to be quite pleasant and accommodating when asking for autographs and a photo.  After what I had read here and on the newsgroup I was surprised. I rather enjoyed his somewhat rambling talk and was interested to see his film. It was a well-done piece of advertisement.  I felt that he showed in the spirit of this is what I am proud of lately and not buy my houses. I found his acting style rather intense but appropriate for the characters he played.  I even liked him when he replaced Pete Dule in Alias Smith and Jones  a TV western ala Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that was done after DS.

So I would be proud to be counted as a fan of Roger Davis.
;D
Ldyanne

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2002, 06:23:29 PM »
Aw, poor RD!  Didn't know he met his wife at a convention.  Interesting.  Can't say I think that much of his acting, however.  

I have to say, however, that my personal recollection of RD has been a bit more positive.  At my first DS Fest in CT (nearly 2 years ago), many of us who expected to sit with the DS stars at the banquet had the misfortune of sitting in a separate room apart from where the action was.  In walks RD with a bag of gummy fangs (yes, you heard right!) which he shared with us.  I thought It was a small, but sweet gesture on his part.  Kudos also to Jim Storm who paid us a visit, too.  

Lastly, RD, quite unexpectedly complimented me on how I looked, so it's hard to dislike the guy after that!  (And I'm no Grace Kelly.)  I do think the guy is a bit of a ham and ego-tripper, but so is Bill Shatner and we know most of HIS fans are NOT electric! ;)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 07:16:14 PM »
 Kudos also to Jim Storm who also paid us a visit.

My friend, who goes by the name of JamesLady, was at the table too, and she said he was what made that whole evening memorable for her, having been stuck back there in the other room.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 08:05:44 PM »

My friend, who goes by the name of JamesLady, was at the table too, and she said he was what made that whole evening memorable for her, having been stuck back there in the other room.

Yes, Jim seemed like a really nice guy.  He was also very annoyed about the fact that some of us were stuck in that room!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 10:25:47 PM »
Even the always diplomatic KLS allowed her negative comments about RD to be published in the DS MOVIE BOOK.

I do not have the DS Movie book (although I have KLS' "Scrapbook Memories of DS" book). Can you elaborate on what she said about Roger Davis in that book? Thanks!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 10:34:58 PM »
Well,
For someone who enjoys talking about himself alot ::),
he was quite nice to me when he sat at my table at the Halloween parties ( two years in a row if you can imagine). Anyway, really he was quite friendly to everyone at the table and made a point to ask us all about ourselves and what we do. He seemed to have a genuine interest in us.
I also found him to be quite a flirt so it would not surprise me that he met a wife at a festival.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »
Absolutely!   ;D  

I loved him on both Dark Shadows and on Alias Smith and Jones--although Pete Duel was, of course, the preferred Hannibal Heyes...

As a board newbie, I'm surprised that he's not much liked.  Besides Quentin (of course) I've always thought that Davis's characters were the best romatic leads on the show...

By the way:  Great Board!  Glad I found it!  (Is there an approriate thread for me to introduce myself so I don't go too far off-topic here?)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2002, 10:46:29 PM »
When I saw DS the first time around, I thought Roger Davis was cute.  I thought he and Vicki looked adorable together, and was glad to see her find some romantic happiness amidst her misery in 1795/6.  

However, upon watching the show as an adult, it occurred to me how annoying he could be at times, especially as Jeff Clark.  He didn't seem a romantic lead anymore, just an irritating guy I couldn't imagine Vicki bypassing Barnabas for.  

At the fests, I've had a chance to talk to Roger Davis, and he beamed when I asked about his children.  He loves to talk about himself, but gave me a mighty good deal on his shorts and shirts when I came to his table.  

So while I'm not really a fan of RD's, I don't object to him as much as his leading ladies on the show seemed to!

ove, Robin

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2002, 10:59:52 PM »
I think RD and his characters, in spite of BOTH of their faults, were a vital part of the mileu that was and is Dark Shadows.  Personally, most of the criticism/fun-poking related to RD that I have read on various boards has been in the vein of, "oh, yes, that's cousin Roger.  He's a bit irritating at times, but he's entertaining and he's ours!"

Petofi

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2002, 11:13:43 PM »
most of the criticism/fun-poking related to RD that I have read on various boards has been in the vein of, "oh, yes, that's cousin Roger.  He's a bit irritating at times, but he's entertaining and he's ours!"

That wasn't always the case. RD had been known to reduce some fans to tears with his bad behavior at Fests. Thankfully, though, for whatever reason, he finally saw the light and cleaned up his act in the late '90s. Many fans have forgiven him, but they haven't quite forgotten...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2002, 11:25:03 PM »

He was also very annoyed about the fact that some of us were stuck in that room!

I was in the main room where the banquet was, but I thought that was very unfair to the fans who had advanced reservations, and people who just paid at the door walked in and got choice seats. Since this topic is about Roger Davis, I will say, he's always been nice and friendly to me at the Dark Shadows Festivals. At one Fest he discussed real estate too much. It seemed to go on for a very long time. I didn't think that was too cool, other than that, he's okay. I like him best in the role of Peter Bradford.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2002, 12:42:26 AM »
Hey, anyone catch Roger Davis on today's episode of the twilight zone (i think they showed it on sci-fi's eastern feed at around noon)?  He played some psychotic husband from hell whose wife tried to stop herself from marrying him in the past (think Vicki).  I thought he fit *this* role much better than the textbook nice guy Jeff Clark is supposed to be.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...