Author Topic: Forget the past; no one will notice.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Forget the past; no one will notice.
« on: August 15, 2002, 01:43:25 PM »
Well, when I saw the scene between Julia and Barn when they were talking about the drug to kill Eve and how it works, I was thinking to myself... wouldn't it be easier for Julia to say...

We'll be using the same thing I used on Dr. Woodard, Barn.  Nuff said.

They talked about it like it was something new.  Barn was asking questions about it, when he should have known all about the effects, considering he had a hand in the Woodard murder.

One other thing... how many times do we have to see Angeliques reflection in a mirror?  She's a vampire, right?

Whew... got that off my chest.

deron

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Forget the past; no one will notice.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 11:06:10 PM »
"julia, remember, remember someone" it is interesting the memory lapses and hypnosis on this show..and speaking of memory

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

when adam finally departs the show, its as if that part of the show never existed, strange considering that Barnabas and Adam are connected.. and seeing how Adam hated the barnster, i wonder if adam ever purposely hits his thumb with a hammer, or sticks a fork into the toaster, just to let B know he was still around.. ;D
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 11:09:58 PM »
Continuity was never DS' strong suit, but then again, they didn't expect viewers to be watching the episodes, over and over, tearing them apart with a fine tooth comb.  They showed Ang in a mirror to indicate fancy camerawork, and even though it went against vampire lore as we know it, it was still interesting (to some, and to others, annoying).

Wait until the 1796 flashback, when there are inconsistences GALORE!  I'm Robservising those eps as we speak, and it's driving me crazy (not that I need much help, mind you).

And when Adam leaves the show, it's because Robert Rodan asked for a raise, so Dan Curtis banished him into oblivion.  As far as Curtis was concerned, Adam NEVER did exist!

And the vision of Adam deliberately hurting himself just to cause his "daddy" pain is hilarious!

Love, Robin

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2002, 01:30:10 AM »

when Adam leaves the show, it's because Robert Rodan asked for a raise, so Dan Curtis banished him into oblivion.

Could this be what happened to Harry Johnson? Or maybe he just took the money and ran. $$$  ;D
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2002, 06:28:23 PM »
Adam is never mentioned again until Parallel Time 1970 when Roxanne Drew is on the table in a coma and Barnabas and Julia remember the Adam experiment.

I was always surprised at how Adam is abruptly removed and unmentioned.

If RR did not ask for a raise, would they have Adam as a secondary character?  In 1897, perhaps he would have played Dirk Wilkins.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 10:56:15 AM »

One other thing... how many times do we have to see Angeliques reflection in a mirror?  She's a vampire, right?

Whew... got that off my chest.

deron

I could never understand why they decided to do this. And not only once either. When I first saw it happened, I thought it was just another blooper, but now it seems to be happening all the time. Apparently the writers thought  that kids back then would never notice such a thing. They probably never imagined that 30 years later these same kids would be watching all this now as adults. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 06:01:32 PM »
Continuity was never DS' strong suit, but then again, they didn't expect viewers to be watching the episodes, over and over, tearing them apart with a fine tooth comb.  

Soap viewers, particularly loyal soap viewers, have the memories of elephants.  Just go to one of the discussion boards for a soap like GL or AMC.  Believe me, people remember crap that happened 15 years ago, in detail.  For godsakes, my late grandmother, who never owned a VCR could tell you what happened on AMC in 1971 (what she did with the hedge clippers or the checkbook was another story . . . )

How hard is it to hire someone to look after continuity?  Soaps are always a mixture of stuff that happened in the present and past.

Deron's idea is kind of cool.  Think what they could have done with that--taken a relatively ineffective and clunky, established for new viewers the kind of relationship Barnabas and Julia have (explaining in part, just why she's so mired in his business), what kind of characters they are--where they were, how far they've come, and given the existing viewers a reminder, reconnected past events with present, etc.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2002, 06:08:44 PM »
Deron .. i'm glad you noted this inconsistency. . .as I think the death of DrW has been rated by the fans here as THE most disturbing thing on DS. . .it did seem strange that Julia didn't say something along the lines. . ."you should know this will work, we've done it before." but perhaps she just wanted that way behind her . .guilt still pervades her soul i'm sure. . .
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2002, 06:28:44 PM »
. .guilt still pervades her soul i'm sure. . .

Yep, she  helped to commit murder and it still remains in that little corner of her mind called a conscience...Let's get Garth Blackwood on her! ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2002, 08:12:59 PM »
General Hospital also has terrible continuity..they are always rewriting their past, especiallyn lately.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2002, 08:30:50 PM »
General Hospital also has terrible continuity..they are always rewriting their past, especiallyn lately.

So true so true!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2002, 08:34:24 PM »
Soap viewers, particularly loyal soap viewers, have the memories of elephants.  Just go to one of the discussion boards for a soap like GL or AMC.  Believe me, people remember crap that happened 15 years ago, in detail.  For godsakes, my late grandmother, who never owned a VCR could tell you what happened on AMC in 1971 (what she did with the hedge clippers or the checkbook was another story . . . )

How hard is it to hire someone to look after continuity?  Soaps are always a mixture of stuff that happened in the present and past.

Boy d o you have that  right! we do that at work a lot(talk about old soaps) and someone will fill in the blanks about OLD shows
and it is amazing what fans remember I think one of the writers said they didn't always think about it because they felt no one would ever notice it later! Boy was he wrong! LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2002, 05:31:03 AM »
You have to remember we are the TV generations.  It is really kind of scary the stuff I remember from TV shows I watched as a child.  I wish I remembered  what I was taught in school as well.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth