Author Topic: Ecrutiating scenes to watch  (Read 5599 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: Excruciating scenes to watch
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2002, 03:25:27 AM »
As time went on and Mr. Frid had more to do (such as personal appearances on TV and in person) that caused him to have trouble fully memorizing his lines, I used to lean forward and wince when he was having a particularly tough time, as though I could somehow, magically, feed him the missing words.  I used to cringe on his behalf, and always prayed that he would have an easier time when I saw him next.

I'm one of those people who hates watching the DS blooper tape, especially those line screw-ups.  Knowing the grueling, inhuman schedule, I just feel so sorry for everyone!

Love, Robin  

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Excruciating scenes to watch
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2002, 03:39:18 AM »

I'm one of those people who hates watching the DS blooper tape, especially those line screw-ups.  Knowing the grueling, inhuman schedule, I just feel so sorry for everyone!

Love, Robin  

I have to admit that I also have a soft spot ...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ecrutiating scenes to watch
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2002, 03:52:56 AM »
Any scene with Jeff Clark makes me want to scream and turn off the t.v. He just drives me mad! All it is is "Vicky, Vicky, Vicky!" and "Me, me, me!" And of course, "Who am I?" [kaiokn]

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2002, 05:57:18 AM »
Harry's constant "umms" and long pauses (i'm searching for the line. .) drove me insane!

I couldn't help but think Harry was...uhh, umm...stoned.

[pimp][roll3][smokn][sleep]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2002, 06:16:09 AM »
The shots that are painful to watch for me are plentiful. They involve that ridiculous skeleton that looks like a reject from a defunct classroom and somebody shrieking AAAIIIIEEEE!!! at the sight of it!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2002, 06:19:08 AM »
How about that dreadful footage of bats used during the Dream Curse segments? It's like everyone was freaked by a National Geographic documentary.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2002, 06:25:01 AM »
How about that dreadful footage of bats used during the Dream Curse segments? It's like everyone was freaked by a National Geographic documentary.

Oh yes! And the bat-on-a-stick, with Barney waithing patiently for it to bite!  :P
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2002, 06:26:03 AM »
Anyway, uhhhh.....Harry gets a couple of points for "No Teleprompter".

I have to agree with you there, Connie. [winkb]

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2002, 08:44:30 PM »

He enjoyed working with her [GRAYSON HALL].  We've only rarely talked about DS, but he did make a point of saying that he thought she was a marvelous actress, albeit overworked.

Overworked huh?  A fellow castmember openly acknowledged that?  I'd have thought there might be a little. .i dunno jealousy over the amount of work Frid and Hall got versus other actors?  You know you can certainly tell when those two got a few days off too. . .the first episode after their breaks are always better . .calmer, lines almost flawless or something .. ??
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2002, 04:07:38 AM »
Overworked huh?  A fellow castmember openly acknowledged that?  I'd have thought there might be a little. .i dunno jealousy over the amount of work Frid and Hall got versus other actors?  You know you can certainly tell when those two got a few days off too. . .the first episode after their breaks are always better . .calmer, lines almost flawless or something .. ??

The impression I got at the William Paley Festival, when Dan Curtis and about 16 members of the cast were on stage, was that during the run of the show it was one happy family. They talked about how everyone would go to dinner after the work of the day...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2002, 04:32:46 AM »
There's an anecdote that I've always found rather amusing.  Apparently at a Fest during one of those panel thingys, KLS was going on and on about how well everyone got along and the happy family thing, etc. and Joan Bennett turned to her and asked, "And what show were you on, dear?"

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2002, 09:52:59 PM »
I agree. . i get along with most people from work and there are those of us who go out to drink and stuff but that doesn't mean there aren't tensions and jealousies and that sort of thing. . Actors being actors and wanting to be in the spotlight .. there had to be plenty of Curtis and the other producers 'counseling' the actors .. .and i'm sure there was some jealousy about some actors getting more screen time (aka more $$$). . .I mean the show was otherwordly but not the cast and crew. . .

I luv Joan's comment. . .I think that tells you quite a bit about many things. ..
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2002, 07:40:58 AM »
There's an anecdote that I've always found rather amusing.  Apparently at a Fest during one of those panel thingys, KLS was going on and on about how well everyone got along and the happy family thing, etc. and Joan Bennett turned to her and asked, "And what show were you on, dear?"

What a gal :)
we have someone at work that is always saying that and one day i said "Where else do you work?" well some
people can't take a joke but copying Joan made my day!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2002, 01:46:07 AM »

Yes, "overworked" was the word he used, although in the context of what we were talking about, it was simply a matter-of-fact comment.  I never bought the perky "one big happy family" thing -- especially given some of the personalities involved -- but his remark wasn't uttered in a jealous vein at all.  In one of my letters, I described a few DS scenes I had found particularly amusing, and one of them happened to be Grayson over-emoting as Magda, waving her arms around and peering off into the distance...IIRC, I'd asked jokingly if she was searching frantically for the teleprompter, and he replied, "Grayson?  A fine actress, but overworked"...the suggestion being that yeah, she probably was, but for good reason.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2002, 03:34:56 AM »
What are some of the most excrutiating DS scenes to watch?  And i'm thinking you can't bear them because of quality or technical errors not scene content.

I was losing patience with today's sheriff.  It really didn't seem as though the actor knew his lines.  Yes, it must have been difficult to be the new guy on such a rigorous show as DS.  Still, it was distracting to hear him pause so often and repeat words.  ("Well, Mr. uh, um Collins...Dr. uh, Hoffman tells me the, the...medicine was, ah, was poisoned.") I'm not surprised that he played the role only one time...

By the way, is Sheriff Patterson the part most often re-cast on this show?

ProfStokes