Author Topic: Ecrutiating scenes to watch  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
Re: Ecrutiating scenes to watch
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2002, 12:59:47 AM »
Linda said...
Humbert told me that he had to ad-lib the entire scene with the guy.

Linda,
 You have personally met HAA? When was this as I know he hasn't been to any Fests lately. Do explain this meeting... [shyy]

-Lindsey

We haven't met personally -- we live on opposite sides of the country -- but have corresponded for quite some time.  We have a few things in common...we both really like to read, and I do quite a bit of hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains...his father and uncle were charter members of the Sierra club, and he spent a lot of time on mountain hiking trails when he was a boy.  I've told him about hiking trips and he's told me about sailing, and we both talk a lot about books.  :)

He went to one Fest years ago and said that was quite enough, thank you, so I would be very surprised if ANYONE ever meets him at one of those.  :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2002, 01:19:49 AM »

could Mr. Slocum have flubbed or forgotten more lines?  Harry's constant "umms" and long pauses (i'm searching for the line. .) drove me insane!

I think this is being greatly exaggerated. He made it through the scene, and kept focused. I love all of Craig Slocum's scenes, and this wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be, and he sure looked cute!!  :-* Pardon my exaltation, but I think Craig Slocum's the best. I just love him.  ;) I hate to see him represented disproportionately.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2002, 02:06:22 AM »

I think this is being greatly exaggerated. He made it through the scene, and kept focused. I love all of Craig Slocum's scenes, and this wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be, and he sure looked cute!!  :-* Pardon my exaltation, but I think Craig Slocum's the best. I just love him.  ;) I hate to see him represented disproportionately.

I can't say that I share your enthusiasm for the guy, but in his defense, the taping schedule of soap operas in general was pretty grueling back then, and DC managed to take it to astonishing new stress levels -- it's likely that the atmosphere was pretty intimidating to a newcomer.

It's obvious that there were days when some of the show's seasoned performers had to rely on the teleprompter, and apparently, there were also days when the writers were rushing out new dialogue at about the same time the crew was turning on the cameras.  I'm not sure how far into the series that began to occur, but even with all the "fun" the performers recount when retelling the didoes of bygone days, I can't believe they didn't get exasperated by a situation that meant they either a) had to be very quick studies, b) needed keen eyesight and instantaneous comprehension to make use of the cheat screen, or c) were screwed.

Although Humbert did say that the scene with CS was challenging, it was probably the conditions that vexed him as much as anything -- even the actors with great memories appreciated adequate rehearsal time.  :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2002, 02:21:56 AM »
It is easy to see why they replaced James Hall with Karlen- The difference in timing and verbal acuity was obvious from the start!

Hall did give the character more of an edge, and, had he been able to act, would have portrayed an effective combination of menace and sleaze, especially in the con man scenes with Jason, but it was a demeanor that would have played false against Barnabas...I don't think Hall would have been able to pull off the air of post-vampire bite submission and quiet despair that Karlen managed so well.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2002, 03:34:59 AM »

I just love him.  ;) I hate to see him represented disproportionately.

Well, Cheryl, you are a loyal heart and that means a lot. I have to confess Craig REALLY bugged me last time around and I am almost liking him this time, perhaps due to your influence. I did find that scene to not be one of his best, though.

Mostly, I am VERY glad that it isn't Roger Davis you fell for! [king]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2002, 08:11:40 AM »
I rather like that scene between Humbert and Craig.  It reminds me of the scene in "Mommie Dearest" in which Joan Crawford attempts to fill in for her daughter on a soap opera.  The rhythms of Faye Dunaway's and CS' line readings are surprisingly similar.

Regards,

John

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2002, 08:22:39 AM »
>>>>>>>He went to one Fest years ago and said that was quite enough, thank you, so I would be very surprised if ANYONE ever meets him at one of those.  

Actually, Humbert has never been to a "Fest" exactly. The only time he ever appeared at a DS gathering was in 1979, at the SHADOWCON #3.  This was the annual gathering for DS fans that was held in Los Angeles starting in 1977.  They morphed into the FESTS that we know now in 1985. Humbert was on stage with Lara, Kathryn, John Karlen and Jerry Lacy.  It was great event, and Humbert seemed to have a good time from what I can see.  Of course back in 1979, the DS cons only attracted about 50 or so fans!  

Someone in the audience asked Humbert what his favorite blooper was, and he replied that his favorite blooper was signing the contract for Dan Curtis!   He did relate one incident he had with Nancy Barrett in 1968. (This one just aired the other day on Sci Fi.) Humbert said, he had a scene with Nancy where he was supposed to give her instructions. The camera was tight in a closeup of his face.  He was supposed to say to her, "There are 3 things I want you to do".  1 blah, 2 blah, 3 blah. He said it perfectly until taping, and then he said, "There are FOUR things you must do", Tears started coming, and he said to Nancy something like 1 blah, 2 blah, 3 blah.....and 4, forget the other 3!  They called cut and everyone died from laughter!

I only wish Humbert could come to a Fest today because he was a delight in his 1979 appearance.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2002, 09:19:13 AM »
I didn't think the scene between Nickolas & Harry went all that bad. I honestly thought that Harry's nervousness was suppose to be part of that scene. I mean if I was locked in someone else's house and had a disembodied hand coming towards me, I probably wouldn't be able to speak a word at that point either. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2002, 09:25:24 AM »
 It reminds me of the scene in "Mommie Dearest" in which Joan Crawford attempts to fill in for her daughter on a soap opera.  

Regards,

John

Wish I saw that Soap Opera when J.C. filled in.  Now that's something that I'd love to see!! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2002, 12:55:53 PM »

Well, Cheryl, you are a loyal heart and that means a lot.

Yes, BRAVO for you Cheryl that you so strongly support Mr. Slocum.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2002, 06:33:25 PM »
Oh God, there are just far too many scenes for me to pick . . . let me just put it this way.

There haven't been any Idle Thoughts in awhile because while I was taking notes, the vitriol burned the paper.  Watching the Stooges, er . . . Barnabas, Julia, and Adam bringing Eve to life (thank God, because Marie Wallace saves this stupid, stupid storyline) just so disgusted me that I went and found a nice soothing cooking show to watch  8)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2002, 06:35:05 PM »
>>>>>>>I only wish Humbert could come to a Fest today because he was a delight in his 1979 appearance.

Yes, he's very charming.  :)  However, he's been asked repeatedly, and has always refused.  

He's not the sort to ruin anyone's good time while he's participating in an event, but the demeanor of actors in front of a crowd isn't always an accurate barometer for how they really feel about something, and his refusals aren't a pose; if he says no, then he really doesn't want to go.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2002, 08:59:27 PM »
There haven't been any Idle Thoughts in awhile because while I was taking notes, the vitriol burned the paper.  Watching the Stooges, er . . . Barnabas, Julia, and Adam bringing Eve to life (thank God, because Marie Wallace saves this stupid, stupid storyline) just so disgusted me that I went and found a nice soothing cooking show to watch  8)

So that's it Luciaphil,  I've been wondering where you've been lately.  :)
Thank Goodness they finally got this experiment right so we don't have to watch it over and over again. ::)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2002, 01:52:47 AM »
>:(The scenes involving the Rev. Trask yelling and screeching were too much for me. I was always happy when he wasn't on that day (during the original run, that is). Now I just tune him out!!!

With ringing ears,       Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2002, 02:00:00 AM »

Yes, BRAVO for you Cheryl that you so strongly support Mr. Slocum.

Thanks! I cherish the memory of him.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan