Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0959  (Read 605 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0959
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:12:10 PM »
Robservations #959

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0959

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »
Bruno (wearing a brown corduroy suit) rescues David. Bruno says Jeb was upset about the book being burned and that "only the ghosts of those we have killed would dare to harm us."

Carolyn is helping Sabrina steel herself for an impending appointment. Bruno sends Carolyn out for the Collins Family History and gets his first chance to be alone with Sabrina after “rescuing” her from the werewolf. He reminds her that will be full tomorrow night. She can't help reacting, but says she plans to stay indoors. He leaves, Carolyn returns. Sabrina is worried about Bruno, but Carolyn opines that he's "harmless."

Bruno is up in David's room, reading about the Collinses and finding nothing. Suddenly the lights go out and something invisible chokes Bruno with a rope around his neck. He staggers about the room theatrically for a few moments before collapsing to the floor. He finally manages to get free of the rope, and the lights come back on. The rope turns out to be a hangman’s noose, covered with mildew. Bruno is unharmed, but they both decide that David shouldn’t sleep in his room tonight.

At almost 9:00 p.m., Carolyn returns, scouts the foyer and tells Sabrina it's okay to come in. MAKEOVER! Sabrina's dark hair is in a kind of layered bubble cut. Unfortunately not Chris but Bruno is the first to see the "new" Sabrina, and his eyes widen appreciatively. You look very beautiful, he tells her, but right now at least he doesn’t let his obvious attraction stop him from asking Carolyn to help him with David. Sabrina goes into the drawing room to wait for Chris, who will arrive soon.

David tells Carolyn he's afraid to sleep in his own room, so they decide to move him to another one--after all, Elizabeth told Vicki that Collinwood has 40 rooms!

Chris finally arrives, and after some hesitation, he and Sabrina embrace, just in time for Bruno to see. They leave without ever knowing that he saw them. Over brandies Carolyn very unwisely tells Bruno Chris's back story. She finishes by saying, Chris is a very strange young man. We can almost see the wheels turning in Bruno’s mind as Carolyn goes on to say, He gets moody and disappears for a few days every once in a while. Bruno wonders why he hasn’t seen Chris in town; Carolyn tells him Chris lives in the cottage. Bruno hastily says he’s just remembered a pressing engagement and almost runs out of the house.

At the cottage, Sabrina and Chris have obviously reconciled. [The actors have a hundred times more chemistry than Carolyn and Jeb!] Chris still thinks they must stop, but Sabrina says, I don’t want anything to interfere. This time nothing should stop us, she declares. We should get married. You would be in constant danger, Chris says, horrified. We can find some way to protect me, Sabrina replies. I refuse to give up. But Chris says, First we’ll find a cure, then talk about “us.” They indulge in a final kiss. Bruno (in the unfortunate rabbit-fur coat) watches from outside as Chris prepares to walk Sabrina to her car. When they leave, arms about each other’s waists and aglow with happiness, Bruno slips into the cottage. A quick search turns up some heavy chains, a pair of handcuffs--and a gun loaded with silver bullets. He doesn’t bother to hide the signs of his search. When Chris returns, at first he is too preoccupied to notice. But suddenly he jumps up to examine all these objects right out in the open, along with Bruno’s flashlight. Almost before he has a chance to think, Bruno is behind him, holding the gun to his back. [Through the window we can see several people walking back and forth and otherwise milling about.] Turn around, Bruno orders. What do you want? Chris asks. Conversationally Bruno says, I’m here to meet Chris Jennings. I already know a lot about you besides your name. I promise we’ll spend a great deal of time together. Together, we will watch the full moon rise! he says and laughs heartily.......

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
Once again, the most memorable scenes in this episode have nothing to do with the supernatural. There seems to be a genuine friendship between Carolyn and Sabrina. It shows a tender, kind side of Carolyn that shows a side of the character that wasn't always on display. And it also brings Sabrina closer to the core characters.

The scenes between Chris and Sabrina really work too. They desperately want to be together, despite all the obstacles. (Fortunately, we are spared a Ned Stuart hissy fit.). I totally believe in Chris and Sabrina as a couple. I am in complete agreement with dark lady. There is no strong chemistry between Carolyn and Jeb. Someone else must have thought so, since the actors are never paired up as a couple again.

Yes, Carolyn's big mouth ends up causing a lot of trouble for Chris. It's somewhat out of character for her to be that open with a relative stranger but I suppose it was needed to move the plot along. It would have made more sense to have Mrs. Johnson dropvthat kind of information.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Thanks, Uncle Roger! And yes, the friendship developing between Sabrina and Carolyn is very touching. One of Carolyn's great qualities is steadfast loyalty.

I was wondering if the writers originally intended David or Mrs. J to blab about Chris. But then I remembered that Carolyn and Chris had a small fling, so she would know more about him than they would.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
I guess you could never count on Clarice to be available. 

Redo of the hanged ghost scene in David's bedroom.  We see M Stroka just standing there waiting for his cue, then he runs to David as if he wasn't already in the room.  Ghost chokes Bruno.  The only choking I've ever taken seriously was Barnabas's first choking by Angelique. Since then it's seemed silly, like a generic, uninteresting, off-the-rack sort of supernatural assault.  Only Mr. Frid made it dramatic, maybe by being able to speak just barely during it, convincingly.  Probably hurt, whatever he was doing.

Sabrina proposes.  Bruno learns Chris is the werewolf, and acts on his own, ransacking the caretaker's place for clues (a guy walks by the window) and taking Chris prisoner.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:01 PM »
MT, you will have one more chance to see Mr. Frid do a choking bit, at the very end of the series.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »
Well, we've seen him do it more than once already I think, and while he may do it similarly well each time, I really just buy it the first time.  The confluence of factors then I suppose.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor