Author Topic: Louis Edmonds Biography  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Louis Edmonds Biography
« on: May 28, 2004, 06:08:07 AM »
I hadn't heard anything about the Louis Edmonds biography by Craig H ---? until sometime last year.  I was interested in what I had read about it and finally decided to order it (from amazon) a few months ago.  After about four months of amazon attempting to obtain the book, and requesting my authorization to continue trying, they finally notified me recently that the book was unavailable.

Does anyone know anything about the book?

Thanks.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Louis Edmonds Biography
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:44:24 AM »
Vlad, do you have your order details handy?  The reason I ask is that of the 2 listings on this page:

Big Lou: The Life and Career of Actor Louis Edmonds

as far as I know #1 is available and has the following product details:
  • Paperback: 228 pages
  • Dimensions 0.56 x 9.03 x 6.00 in.
  • Publisher: iUniverse Star; (January 4, 2004)
  • ISBN: 0595297161
whereas #2 is apparently unavailable and its product details are:
  • Paperback: 212 pages
  • Dimensions 0.55 x 9.20 x 6.06 in.
  • Publisher: Writers Club Press; 2nd edition (March 1, 2003)
  • ASIN: 0595272819
Craig Hamrick revised and expanded the biography.  I hope this helps.  :)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
Thank you, Midnite, I hope you didn't spend too much time looking up this information.

I went to amazon and placed a new order.

I wanted to see for sure which version I had ordered previously but could find no record of the order on amazon.  I remember having deleted the recent notice they sent me -- after so much time I had pretty much forgotten and given up on it so I didn't even pay too much attention -- but I tried going through my e-mail messages and "trash" anyway.  No luck.  So I went back to amazon and did some more checking -- all my orders placed in the past six months, view of my past orders by item, you name it -- there was no record of it.  REALLY DETERMINED now, I did a search through hoards of old e-mails and finally found a confirmation message of my original order that I hadn't deleted -- I placed the order on February 25.  You could click on the order number to take you to the order on amazon's website -- but there, I just got a message saying "order cancelled" with no detail or further information.  And the original order confirmation e-mail gives no details on the edition, only the title, author, and price -- which was $14.95.

I guess it doesn't really matter, especially now that I know I'm NOT crazy, that I really HAD ordered the book!  (Well, I suppose I could still be crazy and have ordered the book ... )

It does irritate me slightly, though, that amazon sent a message to me -- I'm guessing within the last two weeks -- saying that the item was unavailable -- when it IS available!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 06:40:14 PM »
Thank you, Midnite, I hope you didn't spend too much time looking up this information.

You're welcome, but I really didn't.  Good luck!  :)

BTW, I noticed that Craig's website links to the version listed as OOP on Amazon.  That can't be good.

~*~
For anyone reading this, don't forget that patronizing the Amazon Associates Program helps support your favorite DS fan sites.  If you shop via an Amazon banner on Darren's Restoration Site, MsCriseyde's sites, Stuart's DS Journal, victoriawinters.net, Bobubas' DS pages and others (webmeisters, feel free to plug your Associates site) any eligible purchase completed during that same visit (it doesn't have to be DS-related, guys) earns the Associates member a small referral fee that will help defer the cost of maintaining their website.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the Amazon plug, Midnite.

I've been working on a web site for a local high school and just signed them up for the same program. The direct links to books on their summer reading list are turning out to be quite the little fundraiser.  :)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 02:13:35 AM »
Good luck!  :)

BTW, I noticed that (URL) links to the version listed as OOP on Amazon.  That can't be good.

I'll post here if I do receive the book this time so people will know if it is in fact available.

;D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 01:35:56 AM »
It's a wonderful book.  Louis Edmonds was a gutsy man.  I got my copy at the last DS Fest, directly from the author (along with a few other books of his) and he autographed it for me.

Gerard

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Re: Louis Edmonds Biography
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 12:05:10 AM »
Hi Vlad,

I purchased the book probably a year ago and didn't really care for it. I may have to make another attempt at it. 

I believe it was the authors' style of writing I didn't care for because I fully anticipated enjoying it.  I did like it better than the Jonathan Frid biography, by Malia Howard, which I found impersonal.  I know Mr. Frid is a very private person but I wanted to feel like I knew him somewhat better as a person after reading the book on him and I didn't.  With the Louis Edmonds book it certainly talked about his life more than the Jonathan Frid book but it was told in a manner that made me think to myself "who cares" and I expected to because I enjoy Louis Edmonds' work. 

Obviously this is just my opinon.  I'm sure there are others that greatly enjoyed both of the mentioned books.

Murph