Author Topic: Ken Bald Comments About The DS Newspaper Comics  (Read 626 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Ken Bald Comments About The DS Newspaper Comics
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »
The DS Newspaper comics "really didn’t go in the Bible Belt." Gee - what a surprise! ... NOT!!  [ghost_nowink]

Check out many of Bald's other comments about the comics:

Comic pioneer Bald shares skills with Mount Arlington students

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Bald Comments About The DS Newspaper Comics
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:17 AM »
I did love his illustrations for the comics series.  The characters looked like the characters, as opposed to the horrendous stuff in the Gold Key comic book series where they looked like rejects from The Walking Dead.  However, I found his stories and plots insipid, while being both dull and over-the-top.  They came off looking like stuff DC would've come up with later in the show's airing.  I can understand why the newspaper comic series was cancelled after one year.  Of course, the illustrator took his own liberties opposed from the "bible."  From what I recall, there was no Old House and Barnabas "lived" somewhere in the basements of Collinwood.  Only a select number of persons were included.  If I'm right, there was no Julia, no Eliot, no Maggie.  It was basically the "Adventures of Barnabas" with Elizabeth and Carolyn as background characters.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Bald Comments About The DS Newspaper Comics
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:44:22 AM »
Angelique was there for at least one story. She may have been there longer but The N.Y. Daily News dropped the strip around this time. Angelique was somewhat different than the tv version and answered the portly CEO of hell, Mr. Sinistra.
Quentin made a cameo appearance of sorts. A picture of him was shown in one of the Sunday strips.
Fade Away and Radiate