Author Topic: Bee's Knees  (Read 900 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Bee's Knees
« on: February 25, 2002, 02:02:35 PM »
Originally posted by Patti on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 25, 2002 at 08:02:35:

When Dr. Doolittle (ick..where'd they dig him up?) said there's nothing he could do for Barn...made me think.. Didn't people have allergic reactions to foods/bee stings? Does anyone know when medicine recognized such things?
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Bee's Knees
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 04:18:34 PM »
Originally posted by jennifer on February 25, 2002 at 10:18:34:
In Reply to: Bee's Knees posted by Patti on February 25, 2002 at 08:02:35:

When Dr. Doolittle (ick..where'd they dig him up?) said there's nothing he could do for Barn...made me think.. Didn't people have allergic reactions to foods/bee stings? Does anyone know when medicine recognized such things?

I'm sure there were always people allergic to bees
and they just died in the old days(still do)antihistamines were discovered in the begining of the 20th century. as life has become more complicated
there are more things we can be allergic to in the air and manmade. latex is a big one now. as for Barnabas there wouldn't have been much to do if this was an allergic reaction as the doctor thought. no epipens in 1795!!
hope you are feeling well!!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 05:18:37 PM »
Posted by Midnite on February 25, 2002 at 11:18:37:

Patti, did you recognize the doctor? He plays several roles in '67 and '68 so you'll be seeing him again, and if I'm not mistaken you commented on his replacement as cemetery caretaker.

Anyway, an allergic reaction makes the larynx swell and the doc would've surely looked as far as he could down Barn's throat as part of his exam, and we should probably assume that the local doc knows Barn's medical history. You would, however, expect for someone dying from asphyxiation to turn blue.

Immunology became a field of study in the 19th c., but as Jennifer said, doctors didn't understand allergic reactions until the last century.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 06:54:56 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on February 25, 2002 at 12:54:56:
In Reply to: Re: Bee's Knees posted by jennifer on February 25, 2002 at 10:18:34:

Dear Jennifer,

I know this sounds "obsessive," but I simply cannot eat snack foods such as popcorn when watching these Barnabas "choking episodes." I almost wish that I could "jump into" the TV set, and give Mr. B. the Heimlich Maneuver.

I remember when the priests used to bless everyone's throats with two candles on St. Blaize Day. I miss that religious rite.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who reminds everyone to properly chew (if not masticate) ALL of your food BEFORE swallowing!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2002, 02:51:06 PM »
Originally posted by CastleBee on February 26, 2002 at 08:51:06:

(ick..where'd they dig him up?)

I almost started laughing when I saw this guy yesterday. For some reason he was making me do Monty Python flashbacks and I kept seeing Michael Palin in the role...he did seem to be attempting some kind of British/Scottish accent on and off.

Also, on the thought about dying of allergic reactions...just makes you think how easy it was to say "so long world" a century or more back! When I was a child watching this show I remember thinking how cool it would be to live back in 1795 or 1897 or whatever year they had tripped to at the time. Now, I think whoa! just let me try on the costumes and please keep my feet firmly planted in 2002!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2002, 04:17:09 PM »
Originally posted by jennifer on February 26, 2002 at 10:17:09:
In Reply to: Re: Bee's Knees posted by Bob the Bartender on February 25, 2002 at 12:54:56:

Dear Bob
know that feeling!! what about pretzels!!Good advice
about chewing LOL(hope George B takes your advice!)
jennifer
We can't talk about priests right now in Mass It's
awful! feel sorry for all the good priests though!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2002, 08:07:08 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on February 26, 2002 at 14:07:08:
In Reply to: Re: Bee's Knees posted by jennifer on February 26, 2002 at 10:17:09:

Dear Jennifer,

George, the 43rd, should have listened to his all-knowing mother, Barbara Prescott Bush. Barbara is living proof that Mom knows best!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, a former altar boy, who agrees with you, and has only positive memories of the nuns, priests and brothers in Catholic school.