Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0346  (Read 1157 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0346
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0346
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »
I thought Barnabas was really nasty to Julia today. So what if she bit Vicki's head off (unintentionally I might add) ? That's nothing compared to what he made her do to Dr. Woodard.... ::)

Wouldn't it have been cool if Julia HAD seen Josette's ghost? I wonder if she really did feel Josette's presence? Maybe Josette's ghost hasn't left the Old House entirely after all... ;)

Great episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »
I nobly kept my mouth shut about Vicky on Friday, but I can't remain silent any longer.  I know that it is theoretically possible to survive a plane crash in the jungle.  After all, I once participated in a survival game: if you were stranded in the jungle following a plane crash, which items, from a given list of items, would you choose to have with you?  Of course I chose all the wrong items.  I can't remember if I was even smart enough to take the machete.  That, however, is off-topic.  Returning to the topic: to refuse to admit that Burke just might have died in the plane crash is IDIOCY!!!  And to expect everybody to support you in your state of denial is asking far too much of even the best of friends.

I did like Vicky's dream, however, and I liked how her subconscious said to her, "It was just a little bit odd when Barnabas told Julia to go home out of the cold last night on Widows Hill."

And the rest of the show belonged to Julia and Barnabas.  Right now I'm really wishing that I could have seen the Barnabas-Josette story play out as Barnabas told it to Julia on Friday, just for the satisfaction of seeing the thousand rejections, large and small, implicit and explicit, that Jeremiah's loving wife Josette gave to Barnabas over the years.

I kept thinking: "Julia, just walk out of that basement!"  Of course it wouldn't have been that simple - but there she was, taking horrible abuse from Barnabas, and we know that she was not thinking of a way to extricate herself from this disastrous situation, but rather just going ahead with the attempt to cure Barnabas.  Most of the time I can defend Julia's hopeless pursuit of hopeless love - but today it was indefensible.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »
I did like Vicky's dream, however, and I liked how her subconscious said to her, "It was just a little bit odd when Barnabas told Julia to go home out of the cold last night on Widows Hill."

I've always found the reuse of that remark from the scene on Widows' Hill in Ep #345:

in Vicki's dream in Ep #346:

to be extremely amusing, not in the least because it was already pretty much a lame excuse to get rid of Julia on Widows' Hill, so it's even lamer indoors in Josette's room.  [lghy]  It's like Gordon Russell was in part slyly winking to the audience with the absurdity of it all, while at the same time showing that Vicki had managed to pick up on it on one level. Though it still doesn't consciously dawn on Vicki why Barnabas actually did it.  :-   Her unconscious and conscious minds definitely need to get in better communication with each other.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »
Baarnabas is being really mean to Julia. I loved what Barnabas did to the flowers. If he is not careful he will get on Julia's bad side. Just think that he has to rest during the day. Some interesting fanfic have been writen about this.

Julia own feelings about Barnabas is the thing that makes her weak in regards to him. 
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
Returning to the topic: to refuse to admit that Burke just might have died in the plane crash is IDIOCY!!!  And to expect everybody to support you in your state of denial is asking far too much of even the best of friends.

Not really, it's extreme desperation, where you can't live with anything but denial.    If she was this badly off though, I would think that she'd be halfway down the road to snapping, outright.    I wouldn't know, though.     The real idiocy lies in her having feelings that strong about Burke.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:29:05 PM »
I think it's very possible that Josette was in the room with Julia. Too bad she didn't allow Julia to see her.

The sudden withering of the flowers was unnerving. I guess so many strange things happen at Collinwood that no one could be bothered to think about why the flowers would wilt so fast.

Why does Barnabas have to keep shoving Dr. Woodard in Julia's face? Maybe a bit of his own guilt is tugging at him, so he has to remind her of her share in the death so he won't feel so alone, but still it's terribly cruel.

SPOILER ALERT:

Barnabas says he isn't gentle or forgiving, but we see a different side to him once we travel back to 1795. Very interesting.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0346!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:52:48 AM »
I agree, Barnabas was horribly cruel to Juila today.  [angrg] I also agree with you, MB - Barnabas' comment  to Juila about "getting out of the cold" was absurd, and very funny!  LOL! [lghg]

Barnabas' impatience with Julia would get him into trouble soon! [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:41:47 AM »
My favorite line in this episode:

"Enter Julia Hoffman bearing flowers."  Was she accidentally reading the stage directions?  j/k

I found Alejandra to be remarkably poignant in this episode.  This is one of DS's best periods I believe.