Author Topic: And I've waited so long, Willie......  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
And I've waited so long, Willie......
« on: May 29, 2003, 09:45:56 PM »
Am I the only one here who HATED the return of Willie Loomis?

Didn't any one else throw something at the TV?

Never saw this stuff before.  Wish I still hadn't.

The nature of Willie's relationship to Barnabas Collins ALWAYS makes me want to shriek.....but this was beyond endurance.

That Willie would even for an instant consider staying and helping the man who: enslaved him, beat him, tormented him, threatened him, framed him, belittled him, betrayed him......isn't just stupid.  It's sickening.

If they had wanted to, they could have written Willie's return in much different terms.  He could have come back older and wiser, angry and vengeful, with something of his original personality, determined to let Barnabas and Julia know he was no longer afraid.  He could have demanded admissions of guilt and apologies all round,  and only when Barnabas had admitted to both contrition and helplessness, should Willie have thought about remaining to help.  In one conversation (this IS a soap opera, after all) they could have changed the nature of the entire relationship in a way that would have resolved past issues and opened up new possibilities for the interactions of all three characters.  Instead of being needed merely to babysit the contents of a casket, he could have brought some of the original hoodlum's talents to the fight against the Leviathans.  They could have made REAL use of one of the most talented actors in the studio.

But no.  They brought him back the same simpering, pathetic child...still hoping to please his abusive parent....even to the point of destroying the first chance at happiness he's ever had.  One can only  assume the mail indicated this was the way the fans  liked Willie.  Or maybe TPTB were just too damned lazy.

Better he had stayed away¢â‚¬¦

How much longer to William Hollingshead Loomis?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:And I've waited so long, Willie......
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 10:59:44 PM »
He was doing that selective memory thing too. Going on about how much he owed Julia and Barnabas.

Ha.

Barnabas beat him, tormented him, did all sorts of nasty things to him. And then he and the good doctor (who needs a slap upside the head and how) colluded and had him committed to a mental institution for a crime of which he was innocent. And Willie owes them?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 11:06:51 PM »

That Willie would even for an instant consider staying and helping the man who: enslaved him, beat him, tormented him, threatened him, framed him, belittled him, betrayed him......isn't just stupid.  It's sickening.

I just pictured Willie taking all that into account when he returned, shrugging, and then thinking:  "Eh, it's a living."

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 01:08:09 AM »
But no.  They brought him back the same simpering, pathetic child...still hoping to please his abusive parent....even to the point of destroying the first chance at happiness he's ever had.

Willie remains the devoted servant to the bitter end, so it's just as well that you get used to the idea.

But actually, from a psychological POV, I think it's quite fascinating that it is that way. For instance, from the very beginning of all that we know of him, Willie latched onto more powerful older men who abused him in one way or another. Granted, he seemed to be with Jason of his own free will (which most certainly wasn't the case with Barn in the beginning). But I suspect there's a deeper reason there as well as here - one that allows, if not compels Willie to devote himself to Barn, completely in spite of how abusive Barn had been to him in the past...

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 01:15:30 AM »
     The way Willie was going on about Roxanne(refined and genteel) he reminded me of Carl.  Carl described his low class gal with the same words.  It makes me wonder what Roxanne was really like.  [spoiler]It is too bad that she never shows up.  It would have been classic to have her come on to Barnabas.  I love it when he registers discomfort in inappropriate social situations.[/spoiler]
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 01:36:58 PM »
Maybe Willie suffers from Stockholm Syndrome.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 02:00:53 PM »
Maybe Willie suffers from Stockholm Syndrome.

That's the only way the whole scenario makes sense, something like that.  But as MB says, maybe that makes sense psychologically for this character: he's been beaten down and abused for so long that he actually feels an affinity with his former tormentor.

Plus, there's the whole blood slave thing.  Since Barnabas is once again a member of the undead, does that 'reactivate' Willie's enslavement?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 12:14:17 AM »
Hello Raineypark I'm just glad that The
Q-man is back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D :P :P :-* :-*
           Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 12:44:22 AM »
I was certainly yelling "Run, Willie, Run!!!"

But as MB suggests, it makes a rather fascinating psychological study. I got the impression that after Willie was released from Wyndcliff he was never completely restored to sanity, and even seemed to forget what Barnabas had done prior to that. Until Barnabas came along, Willie had been a drifter, and not terribly bright it must be admitted.

Willie may see Barnabas as his benefactor or even savior. He gave him a respectable job, a place to live, and turned his life around. Eventually Willie had the wherewithall to embark out on his own and find true love for the first time in his life.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 02:31:49 AM »
Hey what about Maggie !was Julia really that good that she could make Maggie forget what was done to her by Barnabas?
just a case of changing a charactor from evil to good
when the fans want it!
on the Luke and Laura thing it was stated on the show that it wasn't really rape when luke became popular and then they changed it back years later so their son could have a real issue with Luke!

jennifer
don't be too mad at willie it's the writer's fault LOL!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 12:55:20 AM »
Hey what about Maggie !was Julia really that good that she could make Maggie forget what was done to her by Barnabas?
That I know...Barn made sure Julia would hypnotise (more than once, just to be safe) Maggie, to make sure she forgot.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 02:52:21 AM »
Julia had nothing to do with the final erradication of Maggie's memories about her kidnapping and imprisonment in the Old House cell.  That was Nicky Blair's doing.  Julia tried to hypnotize Maggie and it didn't work.

After she escaped from Willie and the mausoleum they thought she'd go straight to the police.  But in one of the more idiotic plot twists, Nicky waves his magic wand and suddenly Maggie's inviting Barnabas over for coffee and etchings instead.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 03:38:00 AM »
But in one of the more idiotic plot twists, Nicky waves his magic wand and suddenly Maggie's inviting Barnabas over for coffee and etchings instead.  ::)

Well, only idiotic in a sense if one expects that Barn would ever pay for any of his past crimes - but with Barn the titular hero of the show, THAT was NEVER going to happen. The prevailing notion, which is reinforced repeatedly throughout all storylines subsequent to Barn's 1967 introduction, is that every transgression, no matter how heinous, that he committed prior to Vicki's trip to 1795/96 was merely due to the fact that Barn was a vampire and couldn't help/stop himself. The audience must, therefore, accept that premise blindly and forgive all - an undertaking most find quite easy to do, chiefly because the subsequent storylines paint Barn as sympathetically as possible (sometimes going so far as to cast him as victim) while still maintaining his anti-hero status. That premise is an integral part, if not indeed a tenet of the show from 1968 onward, and actually one most fans would probably consider one of DS' more fascinating aspects. (However, it's also one that completely flies out the window when it comes to the way every other vampire on the show is portrayed/treated - a prime example of which we'll be seeing shortly...)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 02:29:32 PM »
Well, only idiotic in a sense if one expects that Barn would ever pay for any of his past crimes - but with Barn the titular hero of the show, THAT was NEVER going to happen......every transgression, no matter how heinous, that he committed prior to Vicki's trip to 1795/96 was merely due to the fact that Barn was a vampire and couldn't help/stop himself. The audience must, therefore, accept that premise blindly and forgive all......

Well, excuse the hell out of me for failing to recognize and sign on to the prevailing wisdom.  I never accepted the premise, and never forgave a damned thing.

I detested, loathed and despised the character of Barnabas Collins the entire time I watched what I saw of  the first run, and I never gave up anticipating the day when he would pay for his transgressions.  Did I know deep down that the chances of that happening were virtually nil?  Yes.  But hope springs eternal.

The show was just as fascinating to watch from THAT point of view as any other.....perhaps more so because I never saw all the other characters as mere supporting players to The Star.
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 04:03:58 PM »
Well B did get his cumeuppance in the film ..take that and let the rest of it go. .  :-   Honestly, not one person on this show is an ethical, honorific character, they all have faults galore!  I know Lucia went on about Julia's fallings the other day -- she was pretty despicable at times but weren't they all and isn't that why we're still here debating a show that's been off the air for 30 years??? >:D
Julia99