Author Topic: Is Sabrina Stuart for real???  (Read 5438 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Is Sabrina Stuart for real???
« on: May 29, 2003, 05:25:23 PM »
Have you ever noticed someone who "acted" like they were made of cardboard.  Oh I don't know, someone like Peter Bradford/Jeff Clark/Charles Deleware Tate and Sky Rumson.

Well, Sabrina Stuart is on that list too.  Where did she learn to act?  I don't mean that cruley....she just can't act.

I'm sure that Lisa Richards is a very nice person.  But, as I said before...she can't act.

And that hair, the Beauty Salon that took her "grey away" and left her with something that was a brown football helmet on her head.  That had to be a wig...right.

She has no emomions.   Like Chris Jennings, she should be happy to see him, and she is...for about a second, and  then it's just her face with this blank look on it.  Take some acting lessons and tell those people in hair/make up, that your going to wear your own hair.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Is Sabrina Stuart for real???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 07:07:49 PM »
What's ironic is that the scene done in flashback in which she sees Chris morph was a really fine example of acting.  The way she is all bubbly and bouncy as she enters his apartment to set up for the surprise birthday party.  And she does have a few other moments throughout her tenure as well.  But overall, much of what she does does come off rather flat.

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 07:17:07 PM »
And that hair, the Beauty Salon that took her "grey away" and left her with something that was a brown football helmet on her head.  That had to be a wig...right.

She had really pretty hair in real life. Why they didn't let her work with that, I don't know. Lisa Richards did well in other things. It might be a combination of having a pretty much thankless part and fairly inept actors to work with most of the time. They never really bothered to give the character much of a personality either.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 08:09:21 PM »
As I recall, she was quite impressive in Henry Jaglom's EATING.

As I was watching part of today's episodes, it struck me that DC and Company seemed determine to keep Lisa as plain/frumpy as possible.  She was really quite lovely and deserved better than to be saddled with bad wigs and colorless characters.

Regards,

John

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 10:26:09 PM »
I cannot stand Sabrina.  I like Hallie better.

Of course, I still hate Amanda worse.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 12:39:51 AM »

Now, who would have ever guessed Amanada will always be at the top of that list for you? :D

I don't mind any of those ladies. Actually, I think they all have their good points. Of all of them, though, I think Sabrina is the most sympathetic. And, of course, she's certainly a member in good standing of that DS sorority (Kappa Kappa Killer?) that accepts and loves their man, no matter what sort of beast he is. [wink2] (Though at least in her case, Chris is completely worthy of her devotion. Pity the same can't be said of all the men. ::))

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 02:40:07 AM »

n

heehee i'm with you!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 06:43:28 PM »

n

GO WITH ME TO THE PROM!!!

(that's right...you're perfect)....I too would prefer Hallie over Sabrina.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 07:09:17 PM »
Sabrina is OK in my book. She's not too good, but not too bad either. But then again, Sabrina doesn't really seem to have much of a defined role...she just pops in occasionally and then just pops right back out.

I don't see why they used the wig. Lisa Richards' natural hair isn't bad at all. And she refers to herself as looking the way she did originally, but didn't she have longer, MUCH better hair in a flashback from when Sabrina and her brother Ned (ick) first came to town?

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 07:30:34 PM »
TBH, what is there for an actor to really do with a character like Sabrina?  I mean, she's just so flimsy - there's no dimension in the scripts to draw any characterisation from.

I'm not saying that a lacklustre character should be matched with an equally lacklustre performance, but I don't blame Lisa Richards for just turning up, saying the lines and leaving it at that...
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 07:50:04 PM »
I'm not saying that a lacklustre character should be matched with an equally lacklustre performance, but I don't blame Lisa Richards for just turning up, saying the lines and leaving it at that...

I don't fault Lisa Richards for Sabrina's blahness either - particularly when she went on after DS to prove she can act with other daytime roles, like that of Susan Barry on OLTL, and numerous primetime guest appearances.

(A sort of funny but not really story: my most vivid memory of LR on OLTL was when a friend, who's also a big DS fan but who'd never seen LR on OLTL, happened to be visiting one day when Susan was prominently featured in an episode agreed that her character/performance was quite good and had decided she'd like to watch OLTL just to see more of LR had that idea come to a, uh, "crashing" end when Susan was later struck and killed by a car in that same episode. Oh, well...)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 08:11:03 PM »
I think the problem with the character of Sabrina is that she fufilled her function with her very first appearance: she gave Roger Davis an excuse for showing up again.

I suppose he could have shown up ranting about his "dead" sister Sabrina and how awful it was....but I'm SURE  having an actual female form to maul made the whole thing work MUCH better for RD.  Once they had her, they needed to do somthing with her, but I think writing for her character was somewhere near the bottom of everyone's list of things to do.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2003, 11:00:58 PM »
I don't see why they used the wig. Lisa Richards' natural hair isn't bad at all. And she refers to herself as looking the way she did originally, but didn't she have longer, MUCH better hair in a flashback from when Sabrina and her brother Ned (ick) first came to town?

Yes, VWR,  Sabrina did have much longer and nicer hair in the flashback scene.  So I dont know why they chose to have her sporting a wig?  Maybe they thought that this would make her appear older or perhaps more sophiticated looking,  although I thought she looked much better with the long hair myself.

Deb

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 01:39:31 PM »
I get the feeling that they had planned more prominence for Chris than he ended up having. 'Cause that's a typical soap move for a character they're going to build up: bring in family and/or love interest. Perhaps Selby's popularity was greater than expected.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

IluvBarnabas

Re: Is Sabrina Stuart for real???
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
Sabrina wasn't one of the show's best characters, and she and Chris had IMO little next to nothing chemistry, but no one was more wooden than Angelique's second hubby Sky Rumson and Randall Drew. Next to these two, Sabrina, or I should say Lisa Richards, looks like an award-worthy performer. [santa_rolleyes]