Author Topic: Twilight vs. DS article  (Read 2755 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Twilight vs. DS article
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
I just woke up and will need my coffee to get through this article especially after reading it quickly and not liking it. Enough of Twilight.

‘Twilight’ saga television series?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight vs. DS article
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
Obviously this woman has no idea that Depp doing the DS film is not merely rumor, it's fact. But then, it would seem that she'd rather speculate than actually check facts because, after all, that's so much easier - and her whole article is nothing but speculation.  [easter_rolleyes]  Still, it's never a bad thing to see DS being discussed.  [easter_wink]

As for "enough of Twilight," now you know how the people who thought there was too much publicity about DS back in its heyday felt.  [easter_cheesy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
MB that was a very poorly written article-like a severely misinformed blogger. I guess she is not too concerned about her professional credibility. Maybe it was too much of an effort on her part to Google Depp and Dark Shadows. It is true there were some positives about DS or that it was discussed. And the part about the Barnabas character being less popular than Twilight's vamp is not a fair comparison. We are talking about totally different time periods and numbers. Were there some people who were tired to hear about DS on it's original run? Outrageous. lol. It must have been those people who could not watch their favorite program because some kid was using the set to watch Dark Shadows. No DVRs back then.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
Were there some people who were tired to hear about DS on it's original run? Outrageous. lol.

There were plenty of letters published in both the daytime and teen mags complaining that DS got too much coverage. Personally I never saw what the problem was. But then, no DS fan would have.  [easter_grin]  And I suspect no Twilight fan sees a problem now.  [easter_wink]

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
While reading this article I got the impression the reporter thought DS was from a novel, like Twilight. I can't really see what all the mania regarding Twilight is all about. I stopped reading the book halfway through because it didn't hold my interest enough. That being said, I did enjoy the movie  [easter_grin]

But this would not be the first 'new' vampire series if it was produced. What about Moon Light and Blood Ties? They were pretty decent vampire shows and both got the heave-ho. Is prime time ready for another vampire? Excluding the HBO series True Blood as not everyone gets that station, I'm not sure. What do you think?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
The article certainly lacked perspective.  DS was wildly popular back in the day and paved the way for other TV vampires.  The special effects, though not always perfectly executed, were ambitious and groundbreaking for daytime television.  That I give DC credit for.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
Nancy I agree.

katrinavantassel I think a Twilight TV series would probably work due to its large fan base but would its producers allow a TV series at this time? Some one wants to get permission to film a Star Trek television series even with the new Star Trek movie that will be released next month and a sequel has already been ordered. Bryan Fuller Wants To Mount A New STAR TREK TV Series!! I wonder what would have happened if the 2004 DS pilot went to series and was still on the air would the rights to film a DS movie have been sold to Johnny Depp? I think if Depp passes on the DS sequels Dark Shadows could find itself back as a television series in my opinion. I think prime time is ready for a new vampire series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
But this would not be the first 'new' vampire series if it was produced. What about Moon Light and Blood Ties? They were pretty decent vampire shows and both got the heave-ho. Is prime time ready for another vampire?

The CW is certainly hoping so - and not just one but at least two - two brothers. They've greenlit a pilot based on the Vampire Diaries book series: Pilot News: Which Vampire Brother Gets Your Blood Pumping?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »
I did like the Madonna mention.  I love that such creative, influential people were fans of DS.  It's awesome.  But the blog was misinformed.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »
FYI I couldn't resist leaving a comment at said site to at least bring the writer up to speed and she responded in kind:

Sue says:
James,
Thanks for sharing this information. Depp will make a great Barnabas Collins. Under the right circumstances, there's definitely room for a good vampire series on television. The subject matter seems to always be in vogue.
Sue
AFE

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
She still thinks it's for Tv. LOL  I watched TWILLIGHT and I liked it.  It was good.  A nice different take on the vampire lore.  However, I prefer my a bit older.... I remember High School well enough, but I am not goo goo ga ga over this movie.  I do think the sequels will be better though....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »
Thanks for posting the vampire article. So, looks like we'll get a vampire series and not DS nor Twilight.

Personally, I wish the leads were a bit older but I understand they are probably trying to appeal to the much, much younger crowd (Twilight age) and that is a good thing which may get the those same people into the theater to see DS. Also, Johnny Depp must have quite a following so lets just hope the movie actually has a good storyline and doesn't rely on special effects to carry it.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:36:29 AM »
hey she put a hot picture of quentin there didn't read too much else after i saw that!

i liked twilight it is young but i love vampire love stories and its cute
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
I agree that "Twilight" is geared toward the younger demographic, but hey, WE were that demo during the original run, and kept DS in the pink for a time.  The books are all written on about a sixth-grade level (not a knock), but I know many adults who read and enjoy them. The reluctant vampire/young girl romance angle certainly has a familiar ring to it, and I'm all for it, if it generates more interest in the genre.  Alan Ball's "True Blood" is a favorite of mine right now, and some of it's story line has a DS-esque flavor as well.

Petofi

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
Okay, first... vampires don't "sparkle". Period.

Second, never before in the history of television has a vampire caused such a fanatical uprising as Barnabas Collins! No one will ever be able to do that again. Teenage girls would rush home to swoon over a middle-aged actor. Why? Two words... Jonathan Frid. I simply don't think any other actor could have pulled that off like Frid did.

So, let them try to put Twilight on television. It will be about as popular as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, or any of those other shows that I never watched. Which is totally fine, I mean, Personally I want Twilight to hit the airwaves (okay, after June 12, we won't have "airwaves") and maybe more people will want to discover or re-discover Dark Shadows!

I can not wait to see Johnny Depp as Barnabas! He's an amazing actor, and I don't see him having a hard time with this at all.
Have you ever had the sensation of being stared at? Like somebody was staring at you and you couldn't see them? Because I just had that feeling now. Somebody was looking at me. Looking right through me.