Author Topic: Book Info  (Read 2188 times)

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Book Info
« on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:47 PM »
I am interested in purchasing some or all of the "Dark Shadows Concordance" volumes from Kathleen Resch.  For anyone who has any of these books, please give me your opinion or comments on them.  If possible, please post a screenshot of a sample page.  Also, please do the same for the "The Introduction of Barnabas" book that is sold by Dark Shadows Festival.

Thanks.
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Info
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »
Katsfan,

I highly recommend these books and the Introduction To Barnabas by the Fest.  All are invaluable, IMHO, sources for storyline breakdown/episode synopsis.  And if you're a fan-fiction writer they are a must!  The only one that Kathleen has not put out yet, to my knowledge at least, is part 2 of the 1897 Concordance and who knows, maybe she'll bring it out for the 40th!  And hopefully the Fest will also bring out their Concordance of the Pre-Barnabas eps, I believe it was called The History of Dark Shadows or something like that.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 09:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The Festival has an advertisement for an upcoming book titled "Dark Shadows:  The First Year," which is to be released in August at the festival.  According to an ad I received, the episodes missing from the "Dark Shadows Concordance" series are 1-364 (pre- and early-Barnabas), 792-885 (second part of 1897).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:26 PM »
BuzzH's new sig:
My goal is to have 2,000 posts by Festival time!  (Wink)

Ambitious!  :D  And you can certainly make it - but just so long as there's no fluffing invloved.  [wink2]  We don't look kindly on fluffing:

Midnite wrote:
I talked about fluffing a while back, and MB and I will eventually be coming up with a guideline that will address it (TIME???  We don't need no stinkin' time! ;)), but that's only because we feel we've been backed into a corner, and this is a separate issue from the posting limit and one that you as well as most posters shouldn't have to worry about.  Fluffing is easy to spot, and any cousin guilty of the practice knows that they're doing it.

I guess I should define it again, especially since it's a term with multiple meanings outside of internet posting boards.  Fluffing occurs when members attempt to inflate their post totals in order to gain a more prestigious title on the forums.  We're not attempting to judge the content of messages; if a poster wants to merely post "LOL" or a smiley because that's how they want to express themselves at that time, then by all means they should do it.  What makes a message problematic is its intent-- if the poster is clicking submit with the purpose of upping their own total, they're fluffing.  This doesn't enhance the board, it does waste bandwidth as well as the time of everyone that reads these posts, and it ticks off the moderator.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone!  And I didn't mean to come across like I'm lecturing, or that I'm only addressing one person.  (Cheesy)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:03:03 PM »
 The Concordances are great.  The artwork alone (by the late, great Warren Oddsson) is worth the price of purchase, not to mention all the detailed synsopses of DS episodes, trivia, photos, essays and other cool stuff.  Unfortunately Kathleen stopped using the slick-looking vanity press binding style she employed a few years back, I'd assume due to cost, but if you can overlook of the ringbound style you'll most certainly enjoy the contents I'm sure.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
According to an ad I received, the episodes missing from the "Dark Shadows Concordance" series are 1-364 (pre- and early-Barnabas), 792-885 (second part of 1897).

I just looked at that ad on the Fest website, that new book about the first year looks great.  Now, I have a question about the other 'missing episodes 792-885', I didn't see and ad for 1897 Part 2, was that mailed to you w/your Fest mailing?  I'm hoping she'll have that one too, then my collection will be complete.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 07:39:06 PM »
I didn't see and ad for 1897 Part 2, was that mailed to you w/your Fest mailing?

It was part of a two-page advertisement.  I don't remember if it came from the Festival or if I got it in my last DVD shipment from MPI.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
This is the cover of the 1897 (part 1) Concordance. I'd be interested in getting more of these myself as this is currently the only one I own.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:53:10 PM »
I believe it was called The History of Dark Shadows or something like that.

The full title is THE HISTORY OF DARK SHADOWS, 1966 - 1967. Does anyone know if DARK SHADOWS, THE FIRST YEAR will simply be a reprint under a new title?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »
The Concordances are great.  The artwork alone (by the late, great Warren Oddsson) is worth the price of purchase, not to mention all the detailed synsopses of DS episodes, trivia, photos, essays and other cool stuff.  Unfortunately Kathleen stopped using the slick-looking vanity press binding style she employed a few years back, I'd assume due to cost, but if you can overlook of the ringbound style you'll most certainly enjoy the contents I'm sure.
I would double triple and quadruple all the good words said about the Concordances.  Excellent references when you are writing fanfiction!  And the artwork is up to the best quality standards in any fandom I can think of.

Alas the cost is not the only reason a lot of zine publishers have stopped using the perfect bound method you refer to. What a lot of them have found (especially in this age of cheap copyshops taking the place of offset print shops) is that unless you have a printer who does a good thorough job  with good quality glue, (read $$$)  the perfect bound doesn't hold up too well.  The other one you mention, the GBC binding, tends to be more durable and is more forgiving when you reread zines a lot.  Easier to read, too when you can turn back the pages on themselves without risk of damaging the zine.

I've contributed to a lot of zines (even put one out long ago, as well as a quarterly letterzine) and have nothing but the greatest respect for the product Kathy Resch puts out.

I just wish her WODS came out a LOT more often.  New, high quality DS fanfiction is getting harder and harder to find out here on the net.....

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:27:01 PM »
I miss the paper zines. You don't see them too often any more. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »
This is the cover of the 1897 (part 1) Concordance. I'd be interested in getting more of these myself as this is currently the only one I own.

Ugh, didn't read all the other posts before I posted.   [6184] For anyone interested in the Concordances, Kathy sells them on line through her agent, Waveney Press.  The url for her pages is:        http://www.knightwriter.org/Shop/Start2.cgi?C=D&I=SD0&T=199643

I've met Judith and Richard Proctor, who run this site,  at a few media conventions, and have known OF them since we were all involved in Blake's 7 fandom.  They are good, reputalble people, and I've never heard the rumblings about them that you tend to hear in media fandom when people selling things don't conduct themselves ethically toward other fans.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:31:29 AM »
I highly recommend the zines too...
I find myself fortunate because that was what got me hooked to DS fandom and fanfiction years ago, and in a way that's what inspired me to search for other high quality DS fiction on the net, inspired me to compose fanfic of my own, join a few great DS groups, and eventually met some great people involved in such work....  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 04:42:00 AM »
The concordances were my re-introduction to the specifics of the storylines of DS in the early 90s, before a great deal of the MPI tapes had come out.  I own most of them, including a reprint of the old 1795 concordance - I once owned the original 1897 concordance.  Now, I use them for pleasure more than info- the Oddson artwork is great!  I used to own a fair number of zines, as well - before the net, they were the best way to get info on DS and correspond with fellow collectors and fans.  They are all a great reminder of the determination of the fans, even in the "dark ages," to keep DS alive!

Petofi