Author Topic: WITHOUT DARKSHADOWS  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
WITHOUT DARKSHADOWS
« on: November 02, 2003, 08:34:11 PM »
Hello, gang i was just sitting here thinking
about how lonely and empty inside i will feel
and the rest of us with no DSin two months.
Just hard to beleive that this is happening.
No more Q-man to drool over, except the pics
i have of him.    ( I'll have to start
buying the MPI Tapes so i can watch The
Q-man.            Love Anne :-[
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:WITHOUT DARKSHADOWS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 11:47:40 PM »
 ;D That's what it is, Anne!  It's a dastardly plot by MPI to try to sell all those 1841 Parallel Time videos sittin' on their shelves! -- wes

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 11:55:49 PM »
Anne..I'm trying not to think about it :'( :'(

I'm so rarely around to watch 'live' that when winter comes, and I'm actually home to watch, it won't be there. :'( :'(

Patti :'(
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 12:41:13 AM »
For those who haven't read it, or just need to get a fix, my Dark Shadows novel, The Labyrinth of Souls--which almost certainly would have been an upcoming HarperCollins DS book had HarperCollins seen fit to do the right thing and not cancel the line <wry G>--is available to read at http://public.webbox.com/628627. These are the original MS Word files and must be downloaded to read; the Webbox index does not list them in order, so the chapters are jumbled, but I'm sure y'all can figure them out; labyrinth01.doc is Chapter 1, labyrinth02.doc is Chapter 2, etc., etc., and so forth. My personal feeling is that it's better than Dreams of the Dark, and I sure wish it would have had the opportunity to see the light of day as an officially sanctioned novel.

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 07:24:55 AM »
[book2] THANK YOU!  I will be reading Labyrinth very soon!  I loved the first book... I have been known to talk it up on another of these DS message boards!

[book2] DREAMS OF THE DARK was terrific.  So, I looked for more RAINEY/MASSIE stuff all over.  I looked on the web & I did find chapter 1 of LABYRINTH somewhere... I just assumed it was part of a book -- but, I never could find any more chapters!  Also, chapter 1 became lost (IE, I couldn't find it anymore & forgot where I found it in the first place).

[book2] I went to a lot of bookstores, looking for other RAINEY/MASSEY books.  I did find some issues of the magazine you did (especially nice was the one with a DS article) in that shop in Burbank.  Can't recall the name, now, not Dark Delacies, but the other one... across from the Ralphs mall area... On Olive?

[book2] I also found SHADOW DREAMS, WIRE MESH MOTHERS, and WELCOME BACK TO THE NIGHT.  Which of these is best?  Anyone know?  I am struggling through Francis Swann's ROYAL STREET, now.  Three chapters, and nothing's clicking for me & Swann.

[book2] Ross is much better -- you always have these deformed, freaky characters to hold your interest, and the smarmy dialogue and descriptions...  Well, none of them matter, becauce I'll be reading LABYRINTH OF SOULS!  THANK YOU, AGAIN!

[hello]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 08:16:54 AM »
[book2] I went to a lot of bookstores, looking for other RAINEY/MASSEY books.  I did find some issues of the magazine you did (especially nice was the one with a DS article) in that shop in Burbank.  Can't recall the name, now, not Dark Delacies, but the other one... across from the Ralphs mall area... On Olive?

Sounds like Creature Features!  Here's their website: http://creaturefeatures.com/

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 03:57:06 AM »
 ;D Yes, that's it, CREATURE FEATURES.  They have some back issues of Mark Rainey's magazine, which I recall; now, it was called DEATHREALM.

8) I finally got LABYRINTH OF SOULS.  Except, in Chapter 18, it suddenly ends on page 5, with "...beneath the blow,"  Obviously, something is missing.  I guess I shouldn't complain, 'cause it didn't cost much & I'll probably guess what's missing

[crazd] I really like it, I'll get back to it now.  I won't spoil it for anyone.  At first I thought it was going to be **** going back to Collinwood in the present... Then, it was **** going back after a couple of years.  The subject of the, er... point-of-view character's lot in life is a good one to deal with.  The author knows the characters well, which is a relief, 'cause you want them to be the basic, organic characters from the TV show.  It follows the TV show very well, like DREAMS OF THE DARK fit in very well.

[lpsldb] I will be VERY OBLIQUE (as you can see), so I don't ruin the story... but, really, auburn-haired doctor looks only "a few years older" than the tall guy with the portrait???  C'mon!  He was in his late 20s & she was trying to stay on the better side of 50!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 04:39:11 AM »
Try downloading Chapter 18 again. This problem has cropped up before, which I don't quite understand, since I've made sure all the uploaded files were complete. Anyway, I've replaced the file. See if it works OK.

--Mark[/color]

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 06:53:56 AM »
The same thing happened to me with Chapter 18, but, just as Mark said, downloading it again did the trick.

By the way Mark, I'm now engrossed in Labyrinth... it's faboo!! (Did I actually use the word faboo in a sentence?!? ::) I don't think I've had enough sleep! LOL)

grayson67 (Melissa) [sleep]

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 07:31:30 AM »
[hello] THANK YOU, MARK!  I did get chapter 18.  I had to get up and do something else for a few moments because your story is so EXCITING... I have to get up and get away from it so that I can absorb all that is going on!  It's great...

[lpsldb] I can't say much because I don't want to ruin it for anyone... but, let's just say that I was just as amazed/agape as Dr. J at this snake bite.  I think I'm calmed down enuf now to return to the story!  It's calling to me...

[crazd] Pleasant dreams! -- wes

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 06:23:31 PM »
Awwhhh.. I see my beautifully written review of Mark Rainey's book isn't here...
I posted my impressions on LABYRINTH OF SOULS last evening.  The screen came up asking to reload again and again...
I see it didn't post...
I guess I used to many "Smileys" and italics (patterned after the usage story) & it was rather long...
-- oh well, maybe I can recall what I said when I have more time...
Somewhat di-spirited, wes
(loved the book, though)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 07:01:40 PM »
I guess I used to many "Smileys"

There's a limit of 20 smileys per post. If someone goes over the limit, a warning will come up explaining you've gone over the limit and telling you how many smileys you've used. However, there is no record of such an error having come up for you. (All forum errors and warnings are logged by the system.)

The screen came up asking to reload again and again...

Unless I'm spacing it out, I can't think of any forum errors that ask someone to reload. Also, there's no error like that in the forum's error log. Perhaps it was a browser or OS error, but unfortunately I can't quite place what might have caused something like that either.  :(

it was rather long...

It would have had to have been very, very long because post size is set at 40,000 characters (because of Robservations). And again, no error like that in the log.

I wish I could be of more help...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 07:19:10 PM »
Unless I'm spacing it out, I can't think of any forum errors that ask someone to reload.

Just checked - no forum errors ask people to reload. So, it definitely seems like you received a browser or OS error.  :)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 11:37:39 PM »
I didn't expect anyone to look into it!  It wasn't as long as the limit you mentioned, that's for sure... I think I started out with 20 smileys; but, I didn't use them all.  When I first posted, the little blue bar started to load, then the screen telling me to reload came up.  I tried to go back to save what's I'd written, but kept getting the reload screen.  I hoped the post did go thru.  I checked back & it did not.  I worked pretty hard on that, so it was a bummer.  I'm over it now... Thank You for lookin into it! --wes

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 12:43:55 AM »
I didn't expect anyone to look into it!  It wasn't as long as the limit you mentioned, that's for sure... I think I started out with 20 smileys; but, I didn't use them all.  When I first posted, the little blue bar started to load, then the screen telling me to reload came up.  I tried to go back to save what's I'd written, but kept getting the reload screen.  I hoped the post did go thru.  I checked back & it did not.  I worked pretty hard on that, so it was a bummer.  I'm over it now... Thank You for lookin into it! --wes

Wes -- I hope you'll be able to manage a recap. I was looking forward to it. ;)

Thanks for the effort!

--Mark