Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0246  (Read 848 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0246
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »
Robservations - #246

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0246

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »
This episode didn't do much for me.  What interested me most, beyond what I mentioned five years ago, was the back view of Elizabeth with her hands folded in front of her, so that the empty jacket sleeves hanging down looked as though her hands had been cut off.  I tried imagining that this was symbolic of something, but I didn't get very far.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »
FAREWELL, HUGH FRANKLIN!

Now both Garners have left the show, never to be seen again.

Roger complains about having to help with the filing--a woman's job--because all the secretaries are afraid to come to work, what with the mysterious attacks.

Poor Elizabeth looks exhausted with having to deal with both Jason and Carolyn.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:24:30 PM »
This episode didn't do much for me.  What interested me most, beyond what I mentioned five years ago, was the back view of Elizabeth with her hands folded in front of her, so that the empty jacket sleeves hanging down looked as though her hands had been cut off.  I tried imagining that this was symbolic of something, but I didn't get very far.

Powerlessness?

I liked Hugh Franklin.   I hope was a very old guy in great shape, rather than a younger guy who looks very old.   He seemed sharp and strong and forceful, more so than many young guys.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »
The IMDB says Hugh Franklin was born in 1916, so he would have been about 50 when he was playing Mr. Garner the Elder. (He died in 1986.) He was the husband of the writer Madeleine L'Engle (A Wrinkle in Time and other classics).

Fifty doesn't seem that old (to me, anyway).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for that.  No, 50's middle-aged, and he looked something like 70 on DS.   I don't know what that means concening his health at the time, since he was obviously vital.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
What interested me most, beyond what I mentioned five years ago, was the back view of Elizabeth with her hands folded in front of her, so that the empty jacket sleeves hanging down looked as though her hands had been cut off.  I tried imagining that this was symbolic of something, but I didn't get very far.
Perhaps that her hands are tied or she is helpless.  The scripts and the show are really good at this point so it seems a deliberate choice.  Elizabeth loathes the sight of Jason today and just yesterday Barnabas Loathed himself.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times