Author Topic: FYI / Quote Search - New Feature?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
FYI / Quote Search - New Feature?
« on: March 27, 2003, 09:28:28 PM »
Hi All,

I discovered today that if you place your cursor over the quotation facts/stats in any given post containing said quote, that a click will bring you to the original post the quote was quoted from. Groovy! 8)

dom (who is wondering if this feature has been available all along and now looks [silly])

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:FYI / Quote Search - New Feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 10:45:37 PM »
dom (who is wondering if this feature has been available all along and now looks [silly])

If it was available in SP, then I'm just as [silly] ;) I'll tell you this, though, neither that feature nor clicking the "new" icon after a topic title taking you to the newest post since the last time each person had read that topic (which you also discovered [thumb]) are documented by YaBB. So, who knows how many more undocumented SE features may still lay undiscovered...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 11:59:55 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 03:23:48 AM »
If it was available in SP

It was.

Color me clueless. [7385] But then I suppose, being  Executive Moderator, you would have noticed it more than I would have because I barely get a chance to read half the posts on the forum. :(

Now, when it comes to technical stuff, like how is it that the forum can successfully handle posts that are occasionally made at the same second or even within seconds of each other and not get them confused, then I'm your man. [wink2] (The answer is the SP forum employed file locking, whereas SE employs transaction locking in the MySQL database. :))

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 05:57:56 AM »
But then I suppose, being  Executive Moderator, you would have noticed it more than I would have because I barely get a chance to read half the posts on the forum. :(

Oh, most definitely. :)  And I'd never ever consider you or Dom clueless!

Now, when it comes to technical stuff, like how is it that the forum can successfully handle posts that are occasionally made at the same second or even within seconds of each other and not get them confused, then I'm your man. [wink2] (The answer is the SP forum employed file locking, whereas SE employs transaction locking in the MySQL database. :))

Thank goddess you don't give pop quizzes.  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 08:06:58 PM »
Midnite, why is your first post on this thread so small?  That wouldn't be your visual equivalent of whispering, would it?  'Cause then I'd have to assume that's you being  "The Girl", whispering the right answer so as not to embarrass "The Guy".  And then I'd have to slap you.  >:(

[smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 11:02:58 PM »
Midnite, why is your first post on this thread so small?  That wouldn't be your visual equivalent of whispering, would it?  'Cause then I'd have to assume that's you being  "The Girl", whispering the right answer so as not to embarrass "The Guy".

I wondered why she'd made it so small, too. I'll confess your theory didn't even enter my head - but I'm also hoping that wasn't the reason...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 11:13:46 PM »
And I'd never ever consider you or Dom clueless!

Well, I'm still more clueless than clued in when it comes to PHP/MySQL - but I'm definitely learning more every day. :)

But that *could* be arranged. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 11:31:31 PM »

But that *could* be arranged. [wink2]

POP QUIZZES?!!   [a345]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2003, 12:10:45 AM »
Midnite, why is your first post on this thread so small?  That wouldn't be your visual equivalent of whispering, would it?  'Cause then I'd have to assume that's you being  "The Girl", whispering the right answer so as not to embarrass "The Guy".  And then I'd have to slap you.  >:(

[smrtasb]

Me playing the lowly girl?  Oh perish the thought!  I've been a feminist since elementary school and always assumed MB is too, cuz even when our roles have been as mentor and student he has never treated me like an inferior.  So anyway, I was whispering, yes, but jokingly, and to my equal partner for whom I have tremendous respect. :D