Author Topic: Forum unavailable - just curious  (Read 980 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Forum unavailable - just curious
« on: December 01, 2002, 06:26:57 AM »
Nov. 30 - around 3 a.m. Eastern - wouldn't come up at all.   I tried again a little later and the same thing.  I checked the times of the posts when I got in today, and it looks like there were no posts between about 1 a.m. and more "regular" morning times.

Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Forum unavailable - just curious
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 07:53:26 AM »
I noticed it at 2 a.m. Eastern, but MB was able to get on sometime before 4, so none of us ever looked into it.  My guess-- server maintenance.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 01:16:16 PM »
Nov. 30 - around 3 a.m. Eastern - wouldn't come up at all.   I tried again a little later and the same thing.  I checked the times of the posts when I got in today, and it looks like there were no posts between about 1 a.m. and more "regular" morning times.

Well, as I've mentioned in the past:

Just a quick note to everyone who e-mailed inquiries last night:
We always appreciate your concern and interest. And rest assured that if there ever was a serious problem, you'd be the first to know because we'd send out an e-mail to all our registered members. But the simple fact is that from time to time it's inevitable that the forum will be down when our host does routine maintenance on its server. Unfortunately, unlike the times when I take the forum offline to do work on it, I can't put up a page that says the forum is down temporarily and to try again later. But the site will come back when the maintenance is finished, so there's really no need to worry. [smlyb]

Just remember - patience is a virtue. And in this case, though it isn't always easy, Midnite and I have to be patient too. [wink2]

And as Midnite mentioned, I was able to access the forum, so I'm not quite sure if it was simply another routing problem, or if our host was doing maintenance and I just happened to check in while the server happened to be available during that maintenance. ;)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 07:46:09 AM »
Thank you both!  By the way, the same thing happened again last night at about the same time.  I tried to come back and catch up on anything new since the earlier visit and it was off again.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 10:26:19 AM »
By the way, the same thing happened again last night at about the same time.

Until about two hours ago, I hadn't been able to access the forum or its Web space for a day and a half. But obviously other people had no problem. So, I suppose all that I'm trying to say is that the inability of people to access certain sites is just a part of the everyday business of the Internet. It can get aggravating sometimes, but hey, that's just how it is. ;) And you learn to live with it - just like the other little annoyances in life...