Author Topic: Props moving around the set from room to room  (Read 4595 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Props moving around the set from room to room
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:47 PM »
Besides the famous Afgans lets keep track or where they go.

There is the lamp with the squares on it that goes from the dinner to the study of Collinwood.  ::)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Props moving around the set from room to room
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »
Has anyone actually tracked just where that crocheted afghan has turned up? So far I have seen it in the Evan's cottage, on Joe's bed, on Elizabeth's bed (:o Joe, you scamp!), and I think in Vicki's room in 1795  (which is possibly not as anachonistic as it sounds.  Crochet's origins are a bit vague but first became popular in Europe in the 1800s. It may have been invented and done before that prior to it's popularity.  Even so, there certainly would not have been the wide variety of colors used to make that afghan in 1795, any more than there were zippers!)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »
I crochet and that afghan is in the granny square pattern. There are actually two afghans, one with a black background and that one with the hideous olive green and what looks like burgandy. I think that's the one most people are talking about when they talk about that afghan.

One prop that I am seeing everywhere is a green lamp with a glass cover. It's seen in the black and white eps, and I know it's green because it's seen in color later on and in fact throughout the whole course of the show, even in the past storylines in which I guess you're to assume there is a candle underneath. It's interesting to watch a scene and recognize several props.

There is the sofa/loveseat in Professor Stokes' cottage which later on we see in 1897 in the cottage when Laura moves in. I saw it also in the scene at Wyndcliff with Chris and Amy. There are probably many such props that just get moved around.

Alondra

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
There is the Petofi box, as well as the box I keep mistaking for the Petofi box.  I think the former has a round lid, and the latter a square or flat lid.   The Petofi box showed up prematurely in 1795 and then in Eve's bedroom, I think.    I remember it in the hall outside Victoria's and/or Josette's (in the New House) and/or ECS's bedroom(s), which all seemed to be the same place.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »
Has anyone actually tracked just where that crocheted afghan has turned up? So far I have seen it in the Evan's cottage, on Joe's bed, on Elizabeth's bed (:o Joe, you scamp!), and I think in Vicki's room in 1795  (which is possibly not as anachonistic as it sounds.

I'm watching the 1897 storyline and I just saw it in Tim Shaw's room, on his bed.

There is the Petofi box, as well as the box I keep mistaking for the Petofi box.  I think the former has a round lid, and the latter a square or flat lid.   The Petofi box showed up prematurely in 1795 and then in Eve's bedroom, I think.    I remember it in the hall outside Victoria's and/or Josette's (in the New House) and/or ECS's bedroom(s), which all seemed to be the same place.

That box is seen in the second floor hallway of Collinwood during present time, in 1897 of course, and I believe in PT somewhere.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
Now I'm picturing PT Petofi, who has too many hands, three maybe.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:44 AM »
Where is that afghan today??!! I must know! I must!!

And the crazy thing is, there must be a die-hard DS fan out there, who's a whiz at crochet, who has replicated said afghan and plans to bring it to the next DS fest.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
Where is that afghan today??!! I must know! I must!!

And the crazy thing is, there must be a die-hard DS fan out there, who's a whiz at crochet, who has replicated said afghan and plans to bring it to the next DS fest.
It would have to be moved to a different room every day though!  ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »
Has the afghan been auctioned like other DS items? [huhg]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
At the one DS Fest I attended, during a question-and-answer session with cast members up on the stage, an audience member did an absolutely hysterical tongue-in-cheek "question" about props moving about.  She did a short schtick about the piano in the drawing room in particular which had everyone, including the cast members, in stitches.  When she was finished, everyone applauded at her witty, hilarious routine.  She should've been on Leno.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »
An actual account of moving props would be a hysterical little book for fans.  I wish I'd caught the bit on that by that audience member that Gerard mentioned!

I also can't help but wonder what happened to some of the props in the long run...stuff like the big candlestick holders by the front door, the tea set, various paintings on the walls (other than the most famous portraits), the kid junk all over David's room, the grandfather clock, etc.  I wouldn't even mind having one of those big ominous looking chairs you use to see sitting up against the drawing room walls.  I have no idea where I'd put it but, I'm sure I'd figure something out. ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 04:24:27 PM »

I could easily crochet that afghan but I wouldn't choose those colors, no way. But I have crocheted many afghans like it in different colors.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »
Hey you could make them and sell them.  That way you could afford to go to the fest.  ;D
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
Hey you could make them and sell them.  That way you could afford to go to the fest.  ;D
That would be positively hilarious if someone in the dealer's room sold afghans.  Considering how cold the hotel sometimes is, you could probably sell a fair number.  :)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »

Hmm, not a bad idea. My husband and I are looking into selling things on ebay and I wonder what something like that would bring. I'll have to check that out.

Alondra