Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0953  (Read 599 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0953
« on: July 23, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Robservations #953

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0953

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
N Barrett VO.  BLAIR!  No grey suit.  I say, fine, if the storyline isn't going anywhere anyway, why not throw in the kitchen sink?  Blair's appearance makes me wonder how Hell and the Devil fit in with the Leviathans... or are they two separate and conflicting underworld evil realms/forces?  Would Satan like the idea of Leviathans taking over the world?  He wants to corrupt humans, not kill them off and make them slaves or snakes, right?  Maybe humanity would die and he'd get a lot more people into lava lakes...  But I can't see Satan liking the outcome the Leviathans want.

Still, it was now Nick's idea all along.  This is a bitter Nicholas just barely maintaining his composure, stressed, about to snap.  I much prefer this version over calm, collected Blair from 1968.  I love his saying "Let there be light!"  And then there was.  Nice gall to that.  A few outraged letters resulted, I hope. 

This makes more sense out of Barnabas having been chosen by the Leviathans.  Nick knew all about Barnabas, and built his plan around him.  I suppose Nicholas delayed showing up because, as he says, his name is known there.  Could he just take up residence in his old house?  Did he own that?  I don't get a sense of his living anywhere, in this storyline. 

I love the moment when Nick has gone into the new Room, ordering Jeb in, then Jeb decides to run out the front door, and Nick appears behind that door, stopping him.  Why?  Because Humbert A. A. had to have run, fast, behind the window to be at the other door when it opened!  They pan off the window so we don't see it!  Of course, HAA is entirely collected and unwinded...

Blair and Jeb seem too close to the same height.  Carolyn dreams again...Bruno asks Nick "Why Collinwood?"  A very good question that Nick seems to duck, with a Dr Who-ish sort of "I'll explain later" line.  I don't think he ever says.  It's clear, though, that Barnabas, a Collins, was key to all this, and the Collins resources would help enormously.

So much could be explained with the simple word "hellmouth"... Bruno wants like anything to be a real Leviathan, the snake.  I really think it hasn't dawned on him that his pimp clothes won't fit anymore.

So Paul Stoddard was only fifty, I found myself thinking, seeing the gravestone.  I never thought I'd think something like that... Living in the dark as I do, I don't get the wrinkles he does, that's probably part of it.  Here it comes, grinning dead Paul!!!  As contrived as that was, with a photo of Dennis Patrick, it's still VERY creepy.  That photo got D Patrick into this ep's credits.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »
Yes, talk of the devil and he appears! I've always enjoyed Nicholas's blasphemous declaration, and I also hope it generated some letters.  [ghost_cheesy]

At least now we have some kind of rationale for Barnabas's recruitment by the Leviathans, if Nicholas (supposedly) had planned it that way all along.

Nicholas is actually wearing a blue coat, a blue suit, and a blue tie this time around. His meteorological displeasure continues as he takes Jeb to task. And great bit when he reappears at the front door, blocking Jeb's escape. MT, was that all filmed in a single shot? Or did they have a break so that HAA didn't have to run around to the front door? Apparently it takes Nick only moments to consecrate the room. Jeb slinks in, and Nick and Bruno share a laugh at his expense.

While in the room, Jeb actually resists the urge to kill Bruno. Now he doesn't want to be the Leviathan Supreme Being.

Carolyn's dream now points her to her father's grave. She insists to Jeb, If we went to my father’s grave tonight, the coffin would be empty. Carolyn notices that Jeb is very frightened, but he won’t explain. Carolyn holds him tight as she says, I’m sure there is some truth to the dream. But Jeb is rescued by Megan, who comes bearing a glass of water and a sleeping pill. Jeb urges Carolyn to take the pill, since she is so upset. She takes it and apologizes to Jeb for upsetting him. Don’t worry anymore, he tells her as he strokes her hair and kisses her. Megan turns away, her face a mask of jealously. (Jeb hits the table in moving away from Carolyn.) Carolyn goes upstairs, and Megan’s expression changes to satisfaction when Jeb softly tells her to meet him at Paul Stoddard’s grave as soon as Carolyn is asleep.

At the cemetery, Jeb is digging up Paul’s grave. (His dates are 1920-1970.)

Megan makes sure Carolyn is on the verge of sleep and leaves. She's so desperate for time alone with Jeb that even meeting him at the cemetery seems like a good idea.

By the time Megan arrives at the cemetery, Jeb has opened the grave and singlehandedly brought the coffin up to the surface, perhaps using his Leviathan strength in this deserted place. You’re just being hysterical, Megan tells Jeb. Paul will be inside. He is working against me! Jeb says, pointing to the coffin. Of course he is, Megan says bluntly. It is your own fault because you killed him. Then she gives it up: We shouldn’t fight, she says. It’s all ridiculous. We will see, Jeb answers. Jeb opens the coffin, and he and Megan are horrified to see Paul Stoddard grinning up at them evilly. He’s going to tell Carolyn about me! Jeb says, still upset. We must burn the body! Paul continues to grin up at them........

[Dennis Patrick had gone to make the movie _Joe_, so a photograph of him was used to show him as Paul dead in the coffin. In any event, this is unfortunately his last appearance on the show. I remember getting quite a jolt on seeing his grinning face!]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
And great bit when he reappears at the front door, blocking Jeb's escape. MT, was that all filmed in a single shot? Or did they have a break so that HAA didn't have to run around to the front door?

It seemed like a fast short unbroken sequence to me.  I probably would have noticed an edit, since I pay close attention with this shot.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »
Wow, HAA breaks 3-yard dash speed record!